3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt Buffalo X-Short Limbs  (Read 1069 times)

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt Buffalo X-Short Limbs
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Got my set of X-Short limbs in the other day and finally got a chance to shoot and tune them up and am very impressed!  Since I have a shorter draw I always want a short bow and with my 27 1/2in draw these limbs work out very well.  I have 2 Buffalo's a '12 55# short camo and '13 55# short blackout.  1 thing I have noticed is how much faster my '13 bow was then my previous model and the same thing has occured with the new '14 50# X-Short wood grain limbs as well.  My '12 bow is set and tuned at 54# at 27in shooting my 30in. Axis Traditional 400 arrows with 100gr inserts and 100gr tip weight and shoots about 180fps.  My '13 bow model tunes the same arrow and speed at 51# and with my new X-short limbs I am getting the same tune and speed but only shooting 48# which is really nice.  Another thing I noticed with the short limbs I really do not feel any heavy pick up in draw weight until you get back past 28in or more, with the X-short limbs I can draw to 28-29in without feeling this pick up as much so they are very smooth at my draw length.  I would highly recommend this setup to anyone shooting 28in or less as they are very smooth and fast and nice shooters.
I compared limb lengths with some other ILF limb setups and the Hoyt Formula limbs do tend to run a little longer in length.  The X-Short limbs are actually about 1/2in longer per limb then a set of standard short ILF limbs so that's where I think the draw is helped.  Plus they are not actual 58, 60 or 62" AMO length bows as well since they tend to run about 1in longer in string lengths then standard dimension bows, so basically you end up with a 59, 61 or 63in bow.
Either way am loving finally having a shorter length Buffalo that is still just as smooth and even faster then my other Buffalo's and look forward to working on the local hog and turkey population soon and some in-field testing on some Javelina next month.  Should be a great animal to test out the new Phantom SC broadheads as well.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Hoyt Buffalo X-Short Limbs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Sounds like fun.  I enjoy ILF myself.  Shoot 25" Best Moon riser with Border Hex and SF Elite+ limbs currently.  Always liked the looks of those Buffalos but wished they accepted ILF limbs and not just Formula.  The cool thing is, and not a lot of guys realize it, but any Hoyt Formula target limb like the F4, F3, etc will fit this riser, so you can also play with the high-end target limbs, heck even slap on a set of Limbsations from One Stringer, and have a hunting bow with some real techy limbs.  Good luck.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
Wish I was going with you since the elk gave us the slip!  The little sc are pretty neat looking, look forward to hearing reviews!

Brad

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Yeah Brad was hoping you would get another chance at them, is there still time?
Will let ya know how my hunt goes, really looking forward to it and have a chance to hunt exotics as well, just depends on how much I want to spend!

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
What do you mean by 'x-short' limbs, are these aftermarket limbs being made for the buffalo?

I really liked the one I had and would love one around the 56/58" mark
>>>--------->

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
Sounds like a winner. Maybe post a picture or two of the strung Buffalo.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Interested in this also!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Hoyt introduced a shorter formula limb option this year that reduces the overall bow length by 2in.  But with the Formula limb mounting system they are still longer then a normal short ILF limb.  They shoot great for shorter draw length shooters.
I don't use photobucket so I can't post pics on here.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
Did you say it was offered in a wood grain limb? I see the x shorts in there target limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©