3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stand placement ?  (Read 297 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Stand placement ?
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
My situation is this; I have some private land that I hunt, it has a cedar swamp that runs the back side of the property all the way to a field on another piece. All season I have hunted the edge of the swamp in the oaks and I have heard the deer walking through the water in the swamp heading toward the field Just at dark.

After going in the swamp and checking around, they have many trails all going to the field. The problem is that the cedars are as round as car tires and the canopy is so thick up top it is dark in the swamp well before sunset. They move at sunset and its killing me.

Any ideas as to how to coax them out? The scents and calls keeps them down till well after dark(learned the hard way).
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stand placement ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Can you get them in the morning on the way back to the swamp?
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
How big is the swamp and the property you hunt?
How much hunting pressure does this and the neighboring properties get?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
TooMany: I havnt had the time to hunt the mornings.And from my years of hunting around the area mornings were never that good.

Mike: The swamp is probably around 200-300yrds long by 125-150yrds wide with a stream that is about 4ft wide. Its very dense up top with large cedars on mounds of sod and standing water around them.Its hard to get in quiet.
  As far as hunting pressure Im the only guy around within a mile or two(thats not trespassing).The rest of the property is oaks,gum trees, and pine beetle ridden pines. There are homes around and an old pig farm(thats the field). They seem to be bedding at the opposite end of the swamp(away from the field) in the only dry spot that has a lot of blow downs.

The property is about 30 acres.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
And I hunt it about once a week if that. The property is fenced front and side with the swamp as the rear fence, and the other side is open to the field.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Those are relatively tight quarters but hey, if it's not working then it's time to change it up.
With trees that big you'll have to use a hang-on or ladder.  I'd still stay a bit away from the blow down bedding area but look for the biggest intersecion of trails within the swamp.  I'd also only hunt it obviously with a favorable wind (one away from the blow down area) and when it's relatively windy (10mph or more) to cover your sound of approach and also to help blow your scent off the trail because with that thick canopy your scent is going to go in all different directions.  Wear hip-boots not only for the water, but also scent control.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks Mike,I was trying not to have to invade that area unless it is last resort. But with two weeks left in the season I could try it and see what happens.

I have to give it to them they are smart, found a perfect travel route with all the advantages in their favor.

Over the summer the owner is going to create a few field areas(on the opposite side of the property away from the swamp) and plant some soybean,corn and other vegetation. he is into feeding the critters as well as me managing the numbers.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©