3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for you browning guys...  (Read 366 times)

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for you browning guys...
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Ive got an old Browning Nomad Stalker, 52" its marked 48# at 28", Ive had it professionally tested on a scale and read 63# at 30", and I am pulling back just under 31".

My question is whether to not I can put fast flight strings on it. I was shooting bowplinkers acadian bows last night (amazing bows) and they made my old stalker feel like a turd. It has a b-50 dacron on it right now.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for you browning guys...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Would not suggest FF string but you might use a b55 string that has slightly less stretch than b50. The tips on most older bows are not made for FF-you will damage the bow. Surprised that short bow doesn't stack for you if you are drawing almost 31".
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
It IS stacking. Ther's a 6 pound per inch increase fot the last 2 1/5 inches of draw.

Offline jmahma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
52" bow to 31 inches!? Hope you wear safety glasses while you're shooting.
(may-ma)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I wouldn't.  Some guys get away with using Fast Flight by wrapping extra padding around the loops.  I've had one beautiful vintage Wing bow go to pieces in my hand on my fourth shot after I had just purchased it and it was heartbreaking (not to mention heart stopping!)  Note that was not with a FF string.  Maybe I just had more draw length than it had left to give.  

I draw nearly 30" and the finger-pinch on my Wasp (56") is pretty tight.  It stacks right at my draw so it works out well.  I haven't measured the draw or speed but it keeps up with 60" and 62" recurves marked 15% heavier draw.

So my thought would be at that draw length you're already taxing the heck out of that bow.  To release from that stress and stop it with a "bang" each shot does seem like asking a lot out of it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
LOL… oh it stacks! A couple guys on here have seen me shoot it… lol, they say the limbs point back at me. This bow is a testament to Browning because by all means it should explode on me but this sucker is tough!
 Its hard for me to get a good release with all the finger pinch. Im on the list for a Thunderchild. It will be nice to have a bow that fits me!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Sounds good fellas, no fast flight for me on this bow,

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I have had three bows blow up on me in my life time.  By blow up, I mean at or near full draw, they came apart, delaminated, parts broke and caused catestrophic failure. Granted, they were all of the mechanical sort, but all three were Browning bows.

Be careful drawing it, especially such a short bow to a long draw.

ChuckC

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm in the    :scared:   crowd too.

There are lots of good ole bows out there that can handle your gorilla arms.  Stressing that Browning to 31" is torture for you AND the bow.  

Good luck and keep the safety glasses on.   :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
NO FF strings!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
No FF strings on that bow for this fella,you guys have put the fear in me.

Whats funny is that at first I didn't know that I was pulling more than 48# (didn't know any better) and felt like a wuss for the way that bow was kicking my butt. So I stood in the living room for a couple weeks drawing it and holding at full draw as long as I could about 100 times a day to get stronger. If it didn't blow up then, then hopefully it wont.

Whats even funnier is that I am only 5'8" tall. If people came from monkeys then I must have come from a chimp. My reach is about the same as guys Ive met in the 6'5-6" range.

-Joe Skipp, your quote is hilarious.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
My wife is the same way, we are gonna have some knuckle dragging children.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©