3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan deer  (Read 1930 times)

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan deer
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Mike-

I got to admit that Morgan Freeman thing was pretty funny...Thanks for putting some COMMON SENSE back into the discussion.

I remember 1997 and I remember 2013.  Morgan Freeman that was just good timing.   :)
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
How do we "work" with biologists?

I am NOT a "biologist"...BUT, I am a LIFELONG deer hunter...I put HOURS and HOURS into scouting every chance I get. I put MILES and MILES on foot every chance I get. I KNOW what deer eat in EVERY season, I KNOW what cover they require in winter. I know why fawns grow faster in the womb in spring than in January, and I know why. I can recognize habitat under stress because of overpopulation, and I can SEE habitat that has deer numbers WAY under carrying capacity.

So when I hunt a piece of ground and I see that realistically killing ANY deer is BAD for the resident deer I KNOW it.

As a citizen, how do I "Work" with a biologist when I KNOW the REAL motivation is MONEY? When they REPEATEDLY tell us the opposite of what we see with our eyes, HOW do we work with that?

I was at several meetings through the years concerning Tuberculosis and also one concerning crossbows and I can tell you, the DNR has NO interest in ANYTHING the stupid public has to offer EXCEPT MONEY!!!!!

The whitetail has been taken to the bank by the DNR one antlerless tag at a time...all the average guy CAN do is complain and NOT shoot a deer.

I would like to see realistic, HONEST numbers of exactly how many people in the workings of the DNR are actually sportsman of any kind.

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks JT i will continue the hard work as ive done year on end and i hope it will soon repay me for my efforts even more so rewarding with the long bow
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
As a citizen, how do I "Work" with a biologist when I KNOW the REAL motivation is MONEY? When they REPEATEDLY tell us the opposite of what we see with our eyes, HOW do we work with that?

I was at several meetings through the years concerning Tuberculosis and also one concerning crossbows and I can tell you, the DNR has NO interest in ANYTHING the stupid public has to offer EXCEPT MONEY!!!!!

The whitetail has been taken to the bank by the DNR one antlerless tag at a time...all the average guy CAN do is complain and NOT shoot a deer.

I would like to see realistic, HONEST numbers of exactly how many people in the workings of the DNR are actually sportsman of any kind.
X2 You absolutely nailed it Bonebuster.

Our DNR is made up of politicians and ecologists now days, not biologists. Every single employee from the top down are professionals at telling you exactly what you want to hear, making you feel as though your concerns and opinions really matter but as one who was fully engaged for many years, I can tell you without reservation - they don’t.

I spent years and years working on DNR committees, attending forums and appearing and speaking at the NRC every single month. I actually got to know several of the NRC commissioners fairly well. For a long time, I have to admit, I bought the DNR/NRC’s story hook, line and sinker. But after a while it became clear ... almost without exception, all of them are politicians first, ecologists second and biologists last. It’s a joke. They hold forums and community meetings all designed to make the participants think they have a say in the outcome, knowing full well the outcomes have been predetermined. I watched state bowhunting orgs unequivocally and without reservation support the DNR and NRC all in the hopes of keeping crossbows out of archery seasons and APR’s off the table. While the crossbow thing ended up being a threat via legislation, we all see where we ended up.

IMO, the two biggest factors in destroying deer hunting (at least in the NLP) were going to DMU’s that are based on geographical borders (counties) instead of DMU’s that were based on habitat and land ownership patterns and then sticking with the SAK method of determining deer numbers. The SAK model simply did not work with this type of DMU set up. I’ve had VERY well respected biologists/employees of the DNR tell me flat out the DNR truly has NO idea of how many deer there really are in MI. At best, it’s a guess. Those two things absolutely destroyed deer hunting in the NLP. For the most part, the DMU’s stayed the same in southern MI but in the northern lower, it changed drastically. Frustrating as it was, MANY of the local biologists at the time almost begged Lansing NOT to implement this change but alas, the new age ecologists in charge went ahead with it and now, deer hunting in northern MI is what it is.

Back then, in the late 80’s, 90’s and early 00’s if Lansing didn’t listen to their own biologists in the field – people who KNEW what was going on – do you really think they are interested in what YOU have to say? Someone asked, “How do you ‘work’ with the DNR?”. News flash – LOL, you don’t.

I’ve bowhunted deer in the NLP for almost 40 years. The past two years I haven’t even bothered to buy tags. For those who claim that the habitat doesn’t support a better herd then what we see now, LOL, c’mon. Who do you think you’re kidding? Do I expect to see the numbers we saw in the 80’s and 90’s? Of course not. But I don’t think its at all unreasonable to expect and hope to at least see more than a 1/2 dozen does/fawns per season of hard hunting. Our cabin is situated right in the middle of literally 1000’s and 1000’s of acres of oak ridges, rye fields, varying stages of cutovers and cedar swamps. I know what the habitat will support. You can post all the DNR documents you want – frankly, it’s jibberish built upon and formulated upon formulas and theories that do not add up scientifically or biologically.

About the only people now days who buy into the DNR/NRC’s program are those who are behind and support the new culture of APR’s and those who own larger tracts of private land. That’s totally fine - I understand it but I’m not a trophy deer hunter. Never have been and we’ve always hunted public land. But for the sake of my kids and especially my grandkids, it sure would be nice to be able to show them a quality deer hunting experience. That’s probably not going to happen in MI again if you’re a public land hunter. I spend my springs turkey and bear hunting, summers trout fishing and the fall doing other types of hunting up north at the cabin. It’s just not worth the effort anymore. Am I sad about that? Yup... a little because my grandkids will never be able to experience the joy of deer hunting in the NLP. Yet, with that said, MI still offers a multitude of things to do “up north” at the cabin in the fall and we still have a great time up there every fall.    ;)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Chuck, I will give all that  ^^^^^^^ a big     AMEN!  

In the early 2000's you could see it happening...I kept going "up North" out of habit and basically to visit with family at "deer camp". Fortunately for me, hunting is more important to me than "deer camp", so I have seen what good management is and have hunted some of the wildest and most incredible places on this continent.  It is very hard to see what else is out there and not be disappointed in what we have here in Michigan.

What it hurts is our kids and the future of hunting...

:(

1.7 million deer in Michigan.  Rrrrhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigghht    :laughing:

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Ibow has pretty much nailed it.  Just to be clear we have never met, even though we live in the same town.  I am a government worker in this state of Michigan and am a biologist.  I know all about carrying capacity and other factors figured into our great ecosystem.  I am not going to air that stuff out here BECAUSE...Bottom line and sadly it is not about science to the ones making the decisions.  

I and most of my coworkers have a passion for doing our jobs and SERVING the public as government was first designed to do.  However, We are in the midst of a change in State and Local governments.  I see books about running government like a business going around the desks of upper management as the trend is changing. As the old school veterans of 30 plus years retire their replacements are being "picked and groomed" by the people above them that are just trying to keep their jobs. The problem is most who get hired in have good intentions but due to the economy here need the job so they are stuck and also have to worry about losing their job if they don't accommodate the agenda of Boards and lobbyist above them.  

As scientist, we have years of education, great teachers passing on their knowledge learned from great teachers before them. However, this becomes trumped by the almighty dollar.  What do we do?  It's government being run like a business....  Our demands must impact their jobs more than the others or we will continue to be ignored.  Other states have been able to do it.  It just takes the right people at the top.  

Remember:  You can try to tell me a duck is not a duck...But my mind KNOWS if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it still is a duck.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Meanwhile, using survey methods that the head of the Ohio DNR says are better than mandatory check in's (we know how guys hate anything mandatory), in the NLP in 2012, 128,000 bowhunters managed to kill 45,000 deer. That's a little better than 1 out of every 3 bowhunters in the NLP killing a deer. In my neck of the woods and from talking to neighbors, my opinion is it's about 50% success at least, but that probably averages out with some of the other counties with lesser deer hunting habitats.

This past rifle opener, we had more hunters at more neighboring camps than I've seen in 20 years. There were like 15 trucks lined up on the public land near me and it's only 320 acres. Granted, it was a Friday opener, but either way, hunters sure aren't leaving my area. The 2 private land camps on my east line had guys lined up and they killed 3 bucks within 30 yards of leaving my property. I talked to and congratulated each of them, even though I passed the bucks myself. DNR license sales, by way of the point of sale computer system, was showing that license sales were up this year.

Chuck, I'll try to find you at the K-Zoo show and we'll chat. I feel bad for some of you guys that thought xbows would be kept out. All the DNR people I talked to, along with state rep's on the committee's involved all said xbows were inevitable, just as they are in every other state east of the Mississippi. As the owner of a sport shop back then, I knew they'd be legal by the shear demand of opinion from guys at the counter. While the tiny minority of traditional archers were dead against, the majority of the majority really wanted xbows. My guess is, trad guys talking mainly talking to only other trad guys had the impression that xbows were unpopular. Trust me, demand for xbows was high. The same is likely with APR's. My guess is a room full of traditional guys will show that 80% are against APR. But go to a room of compound and firearms guys and you'll find about 80% for APR. And the compound/firearms room is 900% bigger than the trad room. Group Think on display. It reminds me of the famous quote from a NYC liberal film critic living on Manhattan's upper east side after Nixon won in 1972...“I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.”

Chuck, the invitation to come to my place for turkey or deer stands. I can also show you some public land that's primo-but if you tell anyone I'll have to kill you. LOL I'm also close by in Rockford and I'm setting up a big neighborhood archery range in the back yard. I'm bringing a bunch of neighbor kids with me to K-Zoo to buy some kids bows. You'll puke when you see how my Bear collection has gotten out of control.

The county wide DMU's were made for the every man deer hunter who couldn't identify exactly where they were hunting. I sold licenses for years. Most every guy knows what county he's hunting in, but when Nov.15 rolls around, about 30% of the opening day only crowd doesn't have a clue other than having directions to a friends cabin. So, the county DMU system wasn't made for biologists, it was dumbed down and simplified for hunters.

My guess is, in the future, we're going to see even bigger zones, not smaller. Notice with the APR debate that hunters say they want to be the decider and choose what deer they want to shoot. Well, in the future, expect large antlerless DMU's, like the whole NWLP being one large unit where hunters can buy an antlerless tag and use it where they see fit. So expect hunter choice to increase in the future. But the increase in choice will be on antlerless deer vs. antlered deer.

Go back and re-read what's in the management plan. It's hiding in plain site...

"Some tough choices are ahead if we continue to aspire to a herd with 35 percent antlered bucks in the fall population. We have reached the point where further increases in antlerless deer harvest will not have much impact on the buck-to-doe ratio. To further improve the percentage of bucks in the fall herd, we will have to find acceptable ways to reduce the buck harvest.

Continued bucks-only hunting to rebuild herds may complicate the problem by placing all of the hunting pressure on antlered deer. That will decrease the buck-to-doe ratio and eventually return us to the situation where we started in the mid-1980s. Now, we should evaluate regulations that will allow the careful taking of specified numbers of antlerless deer in areas with smaller herds. We need to consider the advantages and disadvantages of regulations to reduce buck harvest in ways that are acceptable to hunters and landowners.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Killinstuff, I am not "banging" on the youth hunt. I am "banging" on the DNR for creating all these special early hunts to raise funds.

An example: The mentoring season.  The age limit for the mentoring license is "up to 9 years old" giving your 2 two old the ability to buy a license and hunt. The 21 year old who sits/mentors with that 2 year old also has to buy a valid hunting license, "why". Raise funds.  

Then you have the apprentice license: age 10 to 16.  Same thing, the mentor needs a valid license to sit with the hunter, "why". Raise funds.

Having a hunting license does not make the 21 year old a better mentor. My wife used to hunt and has killed deer with a longbow. She no longer hunts but likes to sit in a stand and read or photograph.  She would not be able to sit with one of the grandkids unless she buys a license.

I have been in this archery game a long time.  Been shooting a bow for almost 60 years so I have seen just about everything.  I am as strong supporter as there is when it comes to getting the kids in the woods.  I have 6 grandkids and all but one hunts.  I want them in the woods because if they are in the woods they are not in jail. But who says that all kids can't learn how to hunt with an Oct 1 and Nov 15 start date and with out the mentor being required to "BUY" a license to sit with them.

NEW for 2014 is the $11.00 base license which will be required for all hunters.  Add that with the new $20.00 deer hunting license and that means that is costs a mentor $31.00 to sit in the woods with their kids or grandkids whether they hunt or not.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Convenience will be a factor if/when we go to larger DMU's. From MDNR...

"Antlerless licenses for these areas will be valid for much larger areas. This will enable hunters to hunt in multiple counties without the necessity of purchasing an antlerless deer hunting license for each county they hunt in."

My opinion is that we'll see greater hunter choice with larger DMU's. What else larger DMU's gives us is the option for doing future buck regs by unit. Say the NWLP was one big unit or the NEUP was one big unit. Each could, and should, have completely different rules/bag limits/dates, etc.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Just to show I can copy and paste too, we are not the only ones with issues.  Iowa has some as well...

The whole article with some pretty inspiring photos can be found here:

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/publish/posts/3238/the-recipe-for-collapse.html

While not common, hunters in the area were dropping bucks like this regularly in the
mid-2000s  Pictured here is Steve Hanson with a giant early muzzleloader buck.If I told you what it looked like around here back in 2003 and 2004 you would not believe me.  I sure would like to show you on video, but unfortunately, it is no more.  Maybe that quality of hunting can return - I suppose it is possible.  But either way, I thought you might find it interesting to learn what it was like at its best and what it is like now and how we got here. It is a study in human nature, deer biology, politics and even weather. 
THE PAST

I started hunting in this area in 1995.  I grew up in NE Iowa where I hunted the bluff country of the Mississippi River and the drainages of many cold water trout streams and small rivers.  It is beautiful country but back then there was very little deer management taking place and I rarely saw mature bucks. 

The world record hunter-killed buck shot
about 7 miles away in 2003 by Tony
Lovstuen.  There were big deer all over
the place.I learned of a big 3,600 acre property (a corporate farm) that was selling some shares of ownership.  My wife and I mortgaged everything we had to buy half a share of that stock.  My sister put up her Ford Explorer as collateral to help us with the loan.  It was "only" $40,000, which in today's world of land prices is nothing, but to us it was a fortune. 
There we lots of deer and quite a few mature bucks.  I had a ball hunting that property for 9 seasons.  It got me into the neighborhood, but eventually I grew weary of owning land with 13 other men.  There was always some kind of drama.  I was able to start buying land privately nearby and in 2004 I sold my ownership, which by then had grown into a full share worth quite a bit of money.  Land prices were on the rise.  I used the money to buy even more land nearby.  That was my start.

By all measures, the hunting on the land I bought was phenomenal.  There were lots of deer and within a short time I was shooting many does each fall .  (I had saved up enough to own 600 acres by that time).  My goal was to try to bring the herd down slightly so I could more easily grow food plots and my farmer neighbors could grow a better crop.  This was right at the start of the Iowa DNR's efforts to bring the herd down by issuing a high number of antlerless tags for hunters to use.  It was the best of times. 

Hunting pressure in the neighborhood had been low in that area and many bucks had grown to full maturity.  There were giant bucks everywhere.  In 2004, for example, there were two bucks over 200 inches and one big clean typical over 190 net on the farm.  That was before I began running trail cameras. There is no telling what was really here hiding in the bushes!  I am sure it would be scary what I could have killed if I had known then what I know now.  I don't even want to think about it.

Our daughter with the giant four year old that was on our farm in 2004.  I actually had a
shot at him on Nov. 6, 2004 - but that is another story.  The neighbors found him dead
in December that year.  He grossed around 225.  There was one on the farm that year
that was even bigger!  My neighbor has the sheds from him.
I didn't kill any of those giants, but plenty of nice 160 to 170 inch bucks that did find their way into the back of my truck. 
With all the doe shooting, (my neighbors were doing it too) we actually reversed the buck to doe ratio until there were way more bucks than does!  During the rut, there were mature bucks running everywhere - no lull.   Nearly all the bucks were beat up after the rut from fighting. I remember one season (2005, I think) when I averaged seeing more than 1.5 different mature bucks per day (on their feet in daylight) throughout the entire season!  Wow!

Of course, the population eventually did have to come down.  That was the goal by all involved.  But we never saw it dropping as fast as it did.  It actually imploded throughout the neighborhood as hunters took full advantage of the doe permits and really socked it to them.  By 2008, I was probably down about 25% from the deer density I had here in 2002 - when I started buying land. By 2010, it was down another half. I was still seeing decent numbers of deer and some very good bucks, but there were obviously less deer and less sign.  Things actually looked pretty well balanced at that time (both in terms of overall number of deer and buck to doe ratio).

A party of happy shed hunters on our farm in the mid-2000s.  Now that pile would
be about one-fifth that size. 
If we could have stayed at the 2010 numbers and ratios, I think most everyone would have been happy, but that is when the politics stepped in. 
From what I have been told, the DNR started recommending that the antlerless quotas be reduced at about that time - to put a floor under the deer herd.  But the recommendation was ignored in favor of politics. It was our chance to keep things on a solid footing, but the opportunity slipped by and that brings us to where we are now. 

THE PRESENT

Right now I would say we are at about 20 % of the number of deer we had in 2004.  Think about it.  That means five times less bucks!.  That means that you have fewer bucks to reach maturity and fewer bucks to potentially display the ideal genetic potential to get big. 

There is definitely a balance in the number of deer you can support in a very healthy way, and there is a limit in the number of deer your neighbors will endure if they are primarily farmers.  So I am not an advocate for high deer numbers, but I would like to see roughly twice as many deer here so the genetic dice can come up snake-eyes a few more times each year. 

We don't have any truly big deer on the farm now, that I am aware of, even though the farm is now 400 acre bigger.  More land, less big deer.  Not a good formula. 

THE REASON

As deer hunters we did our job of reducing deer numbers very well.
There is no question that over-harvesting the does has caused the herd to hit low levels and then you throw EHD on top of that and potentially some predation from coyotes on fawns and you have an implosion.  There are still deer here, but it is not like it was - not even close. 
It is not all about the numbers. The habits of the local hunters also changed.  In the 90s, local hunters didn't target bucks.  A doe was just fine.  There was very little "trophy" hunting.  However, as deer hunting became popular, more people wanted to shoot a big buck. 

The easiest of all "big" bucks to kill are the genetically superior 3 year olds. They cover a lot of ground and are not particularly hard to kill.  Plus they can look really big.  We had one here in 2003 that scored 185 inches (measured from one of his sheds). That was one of the bucks that scored over 200 inches here in 2004.  He was a gross 225 as a 4 year old. 

As hunters increasingly targeted "trophy" deer, they were putting a lot of pressure on those high genetic quality 3 year olds to the point that few survived.  That is another reason why the number of truly giant bucks in the population has dropped. 

I believe it will be at least four years before we start to see any significant
numbers of big antlered bucks in the population again.

THE FUTURE
The ideal herd is one with decent deer numbers - well within the overall carrying capacity of both the available food sources and within the tolerance band of local farmers, but with enough deer that occassionally a genetic freak shows up with the potential to grow really big.  Then we need the hunters with the restraint to let them reach full maturity.

Of the two, it is going to be much easier to get the deer numbers up than to expect hunters to pass up great looking young bucks on any kind of wide scale. 

I think we will see the number of giant bucks in Iowa come back, maybe not to 2003/2004 levels, but much better than today.  We are going to have less hunters because the opportunists in the sport will drop out as deer numbers decline.  It is already in the works.  When the bucks are everywhere, everyone is buck hunter.  When they are scarce, people find other things to do. 

The hunter numbers are way down in Iowa from their highs in 2006/2007.  People are giving up because the hunting has been declining in most areas.  I am guessing that we will see even less hunters next year.  While it is not good for the strength of our industry, it will signal the rebound in both the deer numbers and the size (maturity) of the bucks. 

Unless something unforeseen happens, I am expecting to see some very impressive hunting in many parts of Iowa again in about four years.  Next year may not be great (should be better than this year) but it should keep improving slightly every year after that for a while - until the numbers bring in a fresh batch of opportunistic hunters and a fresh batch of legislation to reduce the population again. 

It is a cycle, we are just on the bottom of it now.

And Mojo...until the "management plan" says "we are going to get as much money in our coffers and keep the farm bureau and insurance companies from suing us" I will not believe it or any of the numbers that come with it.

You just had a BIOLOGIST tell you here that they are NOT ALLOWED TO DO THEIR JOB PROPERLY FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE DEER HERD OR HUNTERS!

Why keep spewing out bogus numbers and "plans".

I will say this does break up the work of tearing out the kitchen floor!    :)  

I also want to say I don't have anything against you and hopefully Chuck will bring you by at Kzoo and we can all chat in person.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Could it be that a licensed mentor is thought to have experience they can pass on, where as an unlicensed mentor is probably a non-hunter with little to no experience to pass on?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Could be selfbow and for the most part you are correct but as I wrote, my wife is an experienced hunter and archer.  As a matter of fact a very good archer but she no longer wants to hunt but has the "hunter" experience but would have to spend the mentioned $31.00 to sit and mentor one of the grandkids.

To add to another point being made by Steve O, Mojo, Chuck and others is: if getting bigger bucks is so important to the powers that be why did they go, any deer can be shot by the 9 and under hunter. Wouldn't it be just as important to teach all hunters restraint when shooting a deer and the ability to identify the deer before shooting it?

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Jon,

No slight intended toward your wife.  With rare exceptions, laws/regulations are written in generalities, not specifics.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Phil, offense taken but the powers that be could have written the law that says, current or prior hunting license holder, BUT then they would not have been able to raise extra funds.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Here in Delaware, I've taken the kids of friends out on Youth Day because I had a license and the parents didn't want to buy one.  Your thought about "current or prior license holder" sounds like a good suggestion for an amendment to the existing law.  Be sure to add that the lack of a license can't be because of revocation.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I grew up in MI. Have lived in KS for 20 years now.  Have hunted n other Midwest and western states.  I would say "Do not even try to compare."  They are completely different worlds.  

And as most posted already- I doubt you will ever see the MI herd or hunting become like it is in other places/states.  

If it were me and based on my experience and many hunting friendships/discussions across the Midwest- 1) I would lower my expectations (and use of resources) in MI and enjoy shooting small game, fishing and perhaps a doe or a yearling buck.  2) I would save my time/money and develop hunting opps out-of-state. I realize it does not work for everyone, but an 8-12 hour drive will put you in hunting ground that would ruin your MI hunting perception forever! Give me 5-7 days in Nov in many states on public ground and you will see more 2/3 yr old deer (not to mention real opps at mature deer) in that one week than you would in a decade of hunting in MI. For example: You could get to MO in 8-10 hrs (no need for a truck or 4 x).  $200 license for deer and turkeys.  Lots of public ground.  Camp out of your vehicle/maybe small tent.  It may take a 2-3 years (and a couple 3 day weekend scout trips per year), but you may be far productive and resourceful than trying to win the lightening-strike-big-buck-lottery in MI.  

My 2C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Great post KSdan.

This past fall I spent enough time and money driving PAST all the areas I used to hunt in search of deer that I COULD have gone and spent a week in another state.

It is MY KIDS that are losing out with what is going on.

We do NOT need big bucks for our hunting...we need encounters with game. The deer population is so poor in some areas of public land that it has to be experienced to be believed.

Even with this, the number of antlerless tags available EXCEEDS the lottery...there are ALWAYS leftover licenses.

Hard to believe it has come to this.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
Yep, there is no way I am promoting big mature deer in Michigan.  I'd be plenty happy with having 1.7 million deer like the DNR says there is.  If there are .7 million deer ledt in this state I would be SHOCKED,  there are very, VERY few deer north of US-10...I drive 80-90,000 miless a year all over the midwest.  There are NOT many deer left in Michigan!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Here's a nice buck pole from Mancelona in 2013, a NLP area not known for older bucks...

More Mancelona...

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
A nice Roscommon buck pole...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©