3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan deer  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan deer
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Here's some deer from northern Michigan...
 http://www.9and10news.com/category/246026/virtual-buck-pole

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
That's awesome Mojo, but you did not show the other dozen or two buck poles in the area that no longer EXIST along with the business' that sponsored them.  Every LITTLE town had one; they are all almost all gone...I wonder why?

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
EXCELLENT POINT Steve0!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Mojo- Not sure of the recent internal MI debate. . . so I am not entering that.  

However- your pic makes my point!  While your pic here shows some decent bucks FOR MI; Consider this is a MI BIG BUCK contest with who knows how many hunters in the area, probably during rifle season, probably majority on private deer feeding areas- and (not making light of anyone's harvest) ALL those deer look like the ones I actually PASSED UP (the one would have got a second look) this year in 1-3 sits here in KS! And believe me- I do NOT hunt special/managed private grounds.

As I said in my previous post on this thread- "Do not even try to compare."  For a MI hunter this pic may seem really grand (as a 4th generation MI serious deer hunter there was a time I would have) but to many of us who have tasted undisturbed mature deer in other states, this pic is really not compelling.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
The key is, lots of area's in the NLP still have really good deer hunting and some area's don't.

We're not taking about large parts of Michigan producing "big bucks" or "trophy bucks", we're talking about Michigan producing a more natural age class of otherwise run of the mill 100 class basket 8pt's, which were common in the NLP prior to the 1970's and are common in most other states with similar less than great soils for antler growth. They only are uncommon in much of northern Michigan because of hunter attitude and regulations. We've made the bucks unnaturally "small" in the NLP. The problem is, so many have only that experience in their lifetime that they think it's normal. It's not. We've stunted the NLP herd. The problem is man made.

I'm sorry that some of you are in pockets with such poor deer hunting. I just did a random search and quickly found some nice buck poles. The main reason small town buck poles don't exist much anymore is because guys don't have time to hang a deer in a public space and hang out for a day. In todays go-go world, when a guy kills a deer he's usually headed home. I owned a store with a buck pole, I speak from experience. Anyone else here own a northern sport shop with a buck pole? Time is among today's biggest problems with hunter participation. It's also why we need Saturday openers for everything, fish, small game, deer, turkey, etc. But that's for another thread. LOL

Some don't want to accept the data, but that's their cross to bear. The reality is, lots and lots of deer are still being killed in the NLP. More now than just a few years ago. Now, sightings may be down more than 50% in some places, but that was by design. The bottom line is, we have to grasp that the days of seeing 50 deer a week are over in much of the NLP and we may only see a dozen deer in a week. But as far as killing deer, we're still killing a pile of them.

How many here have actually spent time or volunteered at a deer check station?

One can stomp their feet and pretend the numbers are way off, but they aren't. I'm sorry for those who'd rather live in a fantasy world, but they are flat out wrong if they think the data has no merit.

In the giant year of 1998 and 2.2 million deer, we had our first year of unlimited antlerless tags and the first year of the combo tag, where lots of guys bought two tags for the first time.

In 1998, NLP archery hunters killed 32,000 antlerless deer. However, by 1999, that number fell to 23,000 antlerless deer. In 1998, NLP archers killed 27,000 bucks and kept up the pressure in 1999 and also killed 27,000 bucks. However, by 2002, those numbers in the NLP fell to 18,000 antlerless deer killed by archers and 18,000 bucks.

Now bear with me here.

In 2005, as antlerless quota's were lowered, NLP archers killed only 13,000 antlerless deer and 17,000 bucks. In 2006, NLP archers killed 16,000 antlerless deer and 21,000 bucks.

In 2010, NLP archers killed 15,000 antlerless deer and 15,000 bucks.

Anyone starting to notice that on average years, the ratio of antlerless to bucks killed is in the 1:1 ballpark?

Now, here's where the tinfoil hat is going blow off of some heads, in 2012, NLP archers killed 22,000 antlerless deer and 23,000 bucks.

This internet notion that all the deer in the NLP of Michigan are gone is completely nuts.

Now, if we want to talk about parts of the UP being nearly void of deer, that's a whole other subject. With the forest reverting back to old growth status in many places of the UP, the deer herd in the UP is going to get really thin over the next 30 years in many places.

From the Deer and Deer Hunting article, here's another quote from a top biologist that sums up what many are experiencing in the NLP. He's discussing how states manage by larger deer units...

"Well, as hunters, we don't hunt at the unit level. We hunt at the property level. Within a unit, you can have very good numbers of deer. But on specific properties within that unit, that can equal lots of deer, few deer or zero deer. So in the very same unit, you'll have hunters who are very happy to down-right upset."

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
My uncle USED to own a bait and tackle shop in St. Helen (1 of the 2 there).  Neither of the businesses are open anymore.  The town has regressed from the Haydays of the 80's and 90's.  Now the majority of the people who recreate there are all on dirt bikes or ATV's.  I have hunted there for YEARS.  Not worth the drive up there anymore unless I am going hunting for squirrels or porcupine.  

I'm not saying your right or wrong Mojo, it's not my style to point fingers, BUT, I will say there are some very good hunters and people I personally hold in high requard speaking in this thread of their experiences, and they mostly mirror my same findings.  Maybe I've been hunting one of those "Bad" areas mentioned since we lost our hunting lease where seeing 30 deer a day were common, to where I hunt 3 weeks straight this past season and only saw other hunters and plenty of left out tree/ladder stands.

I hunted Wyoming last September and by 9 am the 2nd day of the hunt, I stopped counting deer at 100, which included 21 DIFFERENT bucks.  I killed #22 on day 5, and he was a dandy.

I honestly have no idea how many deer I saw (I quit counting), but there were deer everywhere I went and NO Hunters.  It was heaven on earth.  Getting up close and personal with Moose and Elk were an added bonus.

I took my oldest son to Texas 2 years ago because Michigan said he was to young to hunt (He was 8).  He killed 3 deer while there.  Michigan has now agreed there should be no limit on age.  That's a good thing, but once again, it shows how far Michigan is behind other States.  

Don't get me wrong, I have an 80 acre swamp behind my home which happens to be a 1/2 mile from my hunting spot.  I cannot hunt the swamp behind my home because of Township Ordnances, but a 1/2 mile away I can.  I understand their reasoning, but my wife kept sending me pictures the entire 3 weeks I was hunting a 1/2 mile from home and seeing no deer.  Those pictures she was sending were of all the bucks and does in the back yard and swamp.  Yeah, it's a little frustrating, but being an honest ethical hunter, I did the right thing and kept hoping they wouldn't notice all the hunter activity where I was (and they were obviously pushed from).  Same scenario as last year except I saw plenty of deer while hunting the same area.  Hard to explain that one I know.

Now I would like to add one more thing, It's the weekend, let's all agree to disagree on this subject for the sake of sanity and respect for the Weekend and save this discussion for Monday.

I'm extreamly happy you take the MDNR for their word (I'm just assuming you agree with them, for all I know, you might just be stirring the pot to get guys agitated.  I have no clue and hope the latter isn't the case).  

Please look me up in Kzoo and I'd love to talk hunting with you, AS LONG AS YOU AGREE TO LEAVE POLITICS OUT OF THE DISCUSSION.  It will be the weekend and I would like to enjoy it.

Mike
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
If you're talking about Roscommon county, I personally wouldn't ever pick Roscommon as a county to deer hunt, unless I was stuck with property there. Given it's habitat and close proximity to TB, the boot will be keeping Roscommon deer herds to be just large enough for recreational hunting and it's never going to be allowed to be a big herd again in our lifetimes.

Here's the latest assessment for Roscommon...

"The deer population goal has been set with consideration of the habitat quality in Roscommon County. The habitat quality is limited in most areas of the county by the nutrient-poor soils of the outwash plains region but is ameliorated by active timber harvesting, which occurs on approximately 2000 acres of State Forest land annually. The near absence of agricultural lands, the adjacency of the county to the bTB zone, and the potential for deer impact on lowland and upland forest vegetation suggest maintaining conservative goals."

The term conservative goals means keeping the herd on the low side of low.

Now compare that to the goals of the NLP area I hunt and the goal for my area is over TWICE as many deer per DMU in Roscommon.

Basically, in today's age, one has to do his research if possible and find out where the deer herds have higher density, if seeing more deer is what a hunter is looking for.

I hear ya on other states. I used to hunt Texas every year for about a decade. I saw over 50 bucks one day in the Hill Country. That's 50, five zero, in one day! Granted, most were from glassing on a big bluff overlooking a huge valley, but still. And on one Illinois hunt, I passed up 9 bucks in 3 days that were bigger than anything I'd ever seen in Michigan over 35 seasons.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
What it hurts is our kids and the future of hunting...
Absolutely Steve. That's the reason so many of us invested so much time in trying to maintain what we had at one point. I started hunting up there when I was a kid and my own kids also enjoyed some great hunting when they were very young. Did they shoot a lot of monster bucks? No, but it was the NLP, we didn't expect to. But there was always a chance for the kids to at least SEE a few deer and if we ended our season with a deer or two between all of us, it was a great year.

Not so much anymore. It saddens me that our three grandsons who are just now starting to show some interest in bows and in hunting won't have that same opportunity.    :(

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Mojo,

You are THE numbers guy...

There are 200,000 Michigan hunters who have just plain QUIT deer hunting. They aren't all on poor properties within a county. How many states surrounding us have had their hunter numbers drop 30% in the last decade?  Maybe the all got out because we could use crossbows    :laughing:  

You spout all the numbers you want, they come from the DNR and they say exactly what the DNR wants them to say.

It is amazing to me; I can travel 300-1500 miles year after year to state after state and find good numbers or deer AND mature deer, yet within my own state I am a putz that can't find his way in the woods or onto one of the "good" pieces of property within a unit. Heck, I can even go into other states and kill species I have never hunted in areas I've never hunted better than I can hunt deer here in Michigan. You are right, it must be me, and it must be the same with a dozen other friends of mine that leave the state to hunt (and do very well).  They are not very capable in Michigan either.

I'll end my involvement here repeating what somebody earlier said;  "The fox is watching the henhouse..."

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:
Chuck, I'll try to find you at the K-Zoo show and we'll chat... the invitation to come to my place for turkey or deer stands. I can also show you some public land that's primo-but if you tell anyone I'll have to kill you.

The county wide DMU's were made for the every man deer hunter who couldn't identify exactly where they were hunting...So, the county DMU system wasn't made for biologists, it was dumbed down and simplified for hunters.
Bob - I will try to let you know into next week when I am going. Not sure yet. It will either be Friday night or Saturday. After all the emails we've exchanged over the years, we really do need to meet and chat. The times I've stopped over at your "place of employment" there in Grandville, I've asked for you and you weren't there.

Re the DMU's, you no doubt know at least one of the biologists I'm talking about who had an absolute fit about going to the county DMU set up. There were quite a few others. And that's my point ... the decision to go about changing the DMU's had nothing to do with science, it had to do with expediency. Good grief, guys can't go to the "trouble" of figuring out which DMU they were in??? I heard that same excuse back in 98-00 and it was just as ridiculous then as it is now. If a gun hunter could figure out what caliber shell to buy for his deer rifle, was it too much to ask that he know what DMU he was hunting in???     :(    

Bob, I think you know the REAL reason why they went to county wide DMU's as much as I do ... it was because the Wildlife Chief at the time, wrote his doctoral thesis on the SAK model and he was an advocate of county wide DMU's because he felt his model worked better with county borders as opposed to what we had. And wow - guess what happened.     :rolleyes:    Despite the outcry of just about every single biologist in the NLP, they adopted it. It had NOTHING to do with guys not knowing where they were in terms of DMU's. That was a handy excuse. Good grief, we lived with DMUs for decades that were habitat based.

And just to underscore why I feel the way I do about the DNR ... I think the WC at the time was a good guy, a good biologist. Very intelligent. Yet, he came from a state where they did use the SAK and county DMU's but it was a state where the land ownership patterns and habitat was similar THROUGHOUT the state - much UNLIKE MI when you compare the SLP to the NLP/UP. And again, despite the outcry from about every single biologist they had in the NLP and even several from UP, they went ahead and implemented it. And you know as well as I do that from that point on, they've NEVER had a handle on how many deer there really are here. The math just doesn't work with the county set up.

That's just one example Bob ... I've got dozens of them.     :p    And people wonder why nobody trusts the DNR???     :rolleyes:

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Chuck,

I'd mentioned in a couple posts that I had to leave Cabela's. I didn't want to, but my wife is doing global stuff for work and our nanny left us. Seeing that we were crazy enough to have 4 kids later in life, even twins when I was 44 (ouch!) I have 4 young kids and people confuse me for their grandpa at the grocery store. LOL
So I'm back to stay at home dad status for the short term.
So anyhow, against my wishes, I took a leave from Cabela's. I hope to return next Fall.

I, like you, know that Bill M. wanted the county DMU's and based his thesis on it. However, we still have them long after he left and other biologists have told me that the simplicity is a good thing. As a former license agent, I agree.

The problem with micro-DMU's is that they really don't work because so many hunters hunt several DMU's and a hodge-podge of rules using side roads and the like is uber confusing for the average hunter. Keep in mind, those reading this right now are not the average hunter. We're discussing deer management in January on a website for traditional bowhunters. We're the extreme. The typical Michigan deer hunter buys his tag on Nov. 13-14, with Nov.13-14 accounting for over 50% of all deer license sales, and then that guy hunts a couple days, puts his gear away and doesn't bring it back out until next Nov.13-14.

Anyhow, this is always easier to do in person. What we should do is plan a little tradgang weekend hunt at my place next Fall. There's a couple guys from MTB and MBH that I've shared PM's with and it'd be nice to do a nice hunt and kill a deer or two with those guys rather than come across as arguing with them online.

In the next post, I'll juxtapose what a confusing Michigan boundary line description looks like compared to the simple Ohio lines.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Michigan description...

Michigan is divided into Hunting and Trapping Zones 1-2-3. Zone 1 includes all of the Upper Peninsula. The dividing line between Zones 2 and 3 is: From the Lake Michigan shoreline north of Muskegon Lake easterly on Memorial Drive to Ruddiman Drive to Lake Avenue , easterly on Lake Avenue to M-120 in North Muskegon, northeasterly on M-120 to M-20, easterly on M-20 to US-10, easterly on US-10 to Garfield Road in Bay County , northerly on Garfield Road to Pinconning Road , easterly on Pinconning Road to Seven Mile Road , northerly on Seven Mile Road to Lincoln School Road ( County Road 25) in Arenac County , northerly on Lincoln School Road to M-61, easterly on M-61 to US-23, easterly on US-23 to center line of AuGres River, southerly along center line of AuGres River to Saginaw Bay , easterly 90 degrees east for 7 miles into Saginaw Bay , then northerly 78 degrees east to the International Boundary.       :help:    

Ohio boundary lines...

Which is more simple for the casual hunter who just wants to sit for a couple days and maybe shoot something every 5-10 years or so? Believe it or not, there's about 300,000 of those types in Michigan. That's also why a one buck limit or even 3pt's on one side are simple compared to the combo tag.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Here's some recent news about potential changes in the UP. Personally, I wish we'd figure out a way to fund MDNR and still do one buck a year, with no restrictions.

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/article/20140115/NEWS/140119436/-1/obituaries

Sault Ste. Marie  
Changes will be made in Upper Peninsula deer hunting regulations in 2014 and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources is encouraging hunters to voice their suggestions and concerns to the Upper Peninsula Deer Advisory Team (UPDAT).

Deer Program Biologist Ashley Autentrieth welcomed dozens of hunters to Tuesday’s open house in Sault Ste. Marie, the first of eight scheduled for the Upper Peninsula in the coming weeks.

In what she called a “perfect storm,” license restructuring will require at least some change for the upcoming deer season as one of the popular options appears to be no longer on the table.

Since 2008, hunters had the choice of purchasing one license which allowed them to harvest any buck with an antler of at least three inches or they could opt for a combination tag which would allow for two bucks with a minimum of 3-points on a side for one license and 4-points on a side for the second.

“With license restructuring,” Autenrieth explained, “that is no longer an option.”

The list of potential regulations for 2014 includes one buck per year with no restriction beyond a single antler of 3-inches or more; a no spike rule which would allow for the harvest of two deer with the second license good for animals with 4-points or more on a side; a 3-point minimum for the first buck and a 4-point minimum on a second buck; and the final option calls for reverting back to the pre-2008 regulations allowing for one buck with a minimum of one 3-inch antler and a second with at least 4-points on a side.

Michigan Department of Natural Resources personnel also indicated that whatever path was chosen for 2014 would remain in place for three years. With that said, however, the DNR provided assurances that antlerless quotas could change in the event of a severe winter.

While the purpose of the meeting was to encourage hunters to share their opinions with Deer Advisory Team members to guide the future regulation, many in the audience voiced concerns on a wide range of topics outside the scope of Tuesday’s session including falling deer numbers, declining habitat, tribal hunting rights and wolf predation.

Public comment will continue to be accepted leading up to the final UPDAT recommendations to the Natural Resources Commission before the 2014 regulations are finalized. Visit  www.michigan.gov/deer  for more information on the DNR’s Deer Advisory Teams and deer management in Michigan.

Read more:  http://www.sooeveningnews.com/article/20140115/NEWS/140119436/-1/obituaries#ixzz2qrNT2tqi

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Well, all this discussion has been a great motivator in my house.

Almost $2000.00 in property taxes to be paid in Iosco county, and we will be heading to OHIO to do our deer hunting!

It is true that hunting deer in Michigan will continue to decline...therefore, I truly think we have no choice. Every year has been worse than the year before.

Flip over to the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters in the State bowhunting organizations, and look closely at what we call the "Deer Diary"...and you will see a SERIOUS pattern of DECLINE in the past several years, of BOTH quantity AND quality of deer hunting here in Michigan. The number of posts is down by about 90%.

It is NOTHING short of sad and demoralizing. It is CRIMINAL as far as I am concerned and I personally feel there are those in the DNR guilty of a dereliction of duty. I am now certain I am not alone.

It was said early in this thread how the DNR is funded by the sales of hunting licenses...the more tags sold, the more money available to the DNR. WOW..."absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Eventually, this over allocation of deer tags IS going to come around and bite them in the rear.

We went from having a group of guys at deer camp with ONE or TWO coveted antlerless tags drawn by lottery between them, to having EVERY MAN there with the possibility of having MULTIPLE tags over the counter!

Acorns go uneaten, alfalfa fields are almost empty at dusk in August, and runways are disappearing. All the while it is being POUNDED into our heads that the deer herd is still ABOVE carrying capacity in many areas.

I am proud of the intimate knowledge I have of vast areas in several counties here in Michigan. The AuSable River valley from Oscoda county all the way to where it drains into Lake Huron has some EXCELLENT deer country. The habitat is in excellent condition.

Of all the statistics the DNR supposedly keeps, a VERY important one for them just MIGHT be to track how many people are leaving to hunt elsewhere.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
I feel the youth hunt is set up to sell a few more hunting licences. Back in the day a young hunter was actually a young man or woman. They were someone who could actually handle a big game weapon. They could be trusted to find there spot, sit alone and make there way out. Now it is more for the parent to get another deer through there kid. I watched a T.V. program where a guy took his kid out hunting and the kid shot a deer. The kid could hardly talk let alone cunduct himself like a young hunter. The kid did know that if you put the crosshairs on the deer and pull the trigger, the deer will die.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:
...wanted the county DMU's and based his thesis on it. However, we still have them long after he left...
That's my point Bob. They didn't work then and they continue to not work now. Everybody knew it then and they know it now. The math with the SAK and county borders just does not work when it's implemented in areas where the land ownership patterns or habitat vary so much. They have absolutely NO idea how many deer they have in any given area (DMU/county) at any given time in the NLP. That's the frustration ... good grief ... CHANGE IT BACK!!!

The point is, you simply cannot get an accurate calculation of what's going on in a DMU (county) when half of it is public land/swamp/oak ridges/cutovers and the other half of it is farmland. (like Lake or Newaygo Counties - counties that both of us are familiar with) And the argument that they don't have enough biologists to go around to "manage" DMU's like they did prior to 00' is a crock. The DNR has more techs working for them now then ever. It's a matter of math and observation. They don't need certified biologists to tell them how many deer they have no matter how they do the DMU thing.

I could go on and on Bob. There's not much point in it. You can bang your head up against the wall just so many times. If you're a public land hunter in the NLP, you are essentially screwed. It's a shame because it doesn't have to be that way. Yet, it is what it is. There's still lots of things to do in the NLP and we'll never surrender our cabin or for that matter, our "heritage" of spending lots of time "up north".

Re the kids and so on, LOL, we have our grandkids overnight all the time (including one set of twins) and I have to admit, we're tired when they leave. But we wouldn't change a thing!!! We love those boys!!!    ;)

Best wishes ... hope to see you at the Expo!

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
I guess I better explain my youth hunt position. I'm not against a kid killing a deer, any deer, but in my mind I think they shouldn't get a special weekend to do it. I think they should experience the hunt as a whole, weather conditions, hunting pressure, deer behavior etc. in my opinion the youth hunt is part of the immediate gratification theme that is ruining our sport. It's an easier time and an easier way to kill. We as hunters and mentors should give the young hunters all the advantage they need without a special early season. We kill enough animals before they are allowed to breed now. Take a kid hunting, give up your opener(s). Teach them under real hunting conditions.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
I know in Jersey and a lot of other states the lack of land preservation for wildlife has helped in the decline of the numbers. When land is built upon the animals end up moving into smaller pieces of woods and the fish and wildlife guys see a large number of deer in that area(not judging the size of the area and the packed in deer) they unleash the open season and unlimited tags.

That allows every yahoo of a hunter to over harvest the bucks in that small piece of property that the deer were pushed into by development of housing. This in return wipes out all the mature buck and 1-2 years old bucks in a matter of a season or two.

Then the following season the younger bucks get wiped out. after that the population is crippled and bucks cant replenish or grow to their potential.

There is more money in Residential growth than in wildlife preservation. and this society runs on the money first.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Thing is Jim the hunting landscape has changed so much in the last 5, 10, 20 years, what's "real hunting conditions" these days?  My first deer camp was up by Sears about 1979 when I was 14. No bait, no blind, just a 14 year old sitting on a sandy hill with a Marlin lever action with plenty of deer crossing the powerline in the morning.  No crossbows, no inline 200 yard shooting ML's and very few hardcore bowhunters back then. Rifle season was the the big deal to everyone I knew.  Guys didn't talk about "shooter bucks" just bucks.  And doe's, well you just didn't shoot a doe no matter what.  Somehow deer became targets and a way to generate money and baiting to only way 90% of the guys could kill a deer. Youth for us is time alone with out the pressure I have to deal with Oct 1 to Dec 31.  My kids still hunt during rifle season for a buck of 3 points or better on a side (a rare deer around here) but youth giving them a little better chance. We look at it as quality time in the woods not instant gratification.  Neither of my kids ended up killing a deer this year by the way because we never saw a buck. The landscape has changed for sure and we are trying to roll with it. Good thing I like to travel out of state to hunt
lll

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Kill shot and Chain2--I definitely agree with you. I am a 5th grade teacher, and the stories I hear from my kids are amazingly sad. Most of these kids are only getting licenses because dad wants to shoot/poach a deer. What is wrong with kids tagging along with  grandpas or dads during the regular season? The answer--most dads and grandpas want that time for themselves, sadly. Hunting isn't for everyone. Now a days, people want instant gratification, bigger bucks, and perfect conditions to hunt in. People watch Michael Waddell shoot an ear-tagged and collared deer and think that is cool. I have hunted for many years and I do not believe I have ever seen a live buck with a collar on and its ear tagged. Crossbows, bait, scents, cameras, etc--are still not enough. Thank God--hunting, real hunting, isn't for everyone. Unfortunately, a vast number of guys in our woods don't know it.  Peace!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©