3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing pics and tips  (Read 806 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing pics and tips
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
I am looking to start bowfishing this year and would like to know some tips you have. And please post some pics of what you caught or should I say shot with the bow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing pics and tips
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
If you get the chance , find a shallow about 2 foot deep area that you can target practice in . It will help you to learn how to compensate for refraction . I used to do this with a paper cup , with a little sand to hold it to the bottom .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
Last spring was my first time bow fishing. The only opportunities I had were during the spawning of the suckers up the creek.  I had an absolute blast.  I was there at least once a day, sometimes twice, while they were making their voyage.  The day I started after them they were running heavy.  I took this fish first shot.  I followed up with three more shots and three more kills.  My brother was with me and doesn't own a fishing rig so I had to "share" with him every other shot...it sucks for two grown men to have to share a bow lol.  I got fed up with that fast and went to town and bought a cheap spool type rig for him to shoot so a could have my rig to myself.  We took a bunch of fish that day.

I started out with my AMS retriever rig on an old 45 pound. Ben Pearson.  That worked fine when they were thick.  Once they started to thin out the 45 pounds wouldn't do the trick.  I ended up putting the set up on a black widow sa iii that's 56# @ 27".  I was having to take shots at fish that are about a foot long in five feet of water from fifteen yards.  I still took alot of fish but it takes alot of bow to do it.  For this spring, I have an old 62 # bear td hunter with the AMS reel mounted to it.  The suckers should be toast at fifteen yards and five feet of water this year!

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Best of fun. My daughter and I love it!  If you need some equipment to get started, PM me as I might be able to help you out.  

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
Aim low!

Here is the results from a few of my best trips!

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
I have bow fished for many years and at some time have used about every tip made. The Stingray tip has a lot of holding power because of the long barbs. Also very easy to remove just grab the arrow and turn it to loosen the tip and the barbs will reverse. The only downfall is big fish 25 or more pounds in weedy areas can start spinning and the arrow gets weeds wrapped around it and this unscrews the tip to reverse the barbs. Also it has a lot of tip to go through the fish before barbs spread.

The muzzy carp tip is good the only draw back is you have to turn the tip several turns by hand to reverse barbs to remove the arrow. This can be a chore with a 20 pound or bigger fish flopping around.

I have lost the least fish from pull outs with the innerloc 2 blade. It has the wider blades and gets great penetration but you also have to unscrew the tip by hand to reverse the barbs.

PBS  Member

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
Some Carp from a few years ago.

PBS  Member

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
That Stingray tip is what I used on this  11'1", 390# TX gator!

Bisch

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
WoW!!! that gator is huge. I have to scout out some places nearby to see what species of fish are available. I know we have bass,pike, and some saltwater species that run the shallows.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
Get a good pair of polarized glasses. The first few years I didn't use any because I didn't like shooting with them on but once I got used to them they made a world of difference. Sorry no pictures but last year fellow Trad Gang member(Stone knife) and myself shot roughly three hundred pounds in an afternoon they pretty much filled the front bucket on my Kubota tractor.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
I seldom take a camera when I'm hunting/fishing.  But...  I use an old fly reel attached to my belt rather than a reel/line holder on my bow.  I mostly bowhunt tilapia in local ponds, and gafftopsail catfish off the stern of the sailboat I live aboard.  Occasionally I try for mullet when they're schooled and cruising like this time of year.  Will be trying some bigger saltwater fish later this spring.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
WoW!!! that gator is huge. I have to scout out some places nearby to see what species of fish are available. I know we have bass,pike, and some saltwater species that run the shallows.
Check with your game dept to make sure what species are legal. More than likely, all the species you mentioned above will not be legal to bowfish. In most places, only fish like carp, gar, and such are legal to bowfish. Louisiana, though, has some great bowfishing regulations!

Bisch

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
I just checked the regs and your right, they are not legal. carp,catfish(flathead), eels, suckers, and some others . All of the stuff you dont normally see around here,go figure

And it says all you need is a fishing license, I would think a bow license would also be a requirement, But it isnt.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Bisch what type of fish are in the big pile - man that's one ugly fish?!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Can't wait to start bowfishing again this year!

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whitetailarcher:
Bisch what type of fish are in the big pile - man that's one ugly fish?!
They are called plecostomus. They are the same little sucker fish you buy at the fish store for your aquarium. Somebody let some loose and they have blown up in a river not too far from where I live. They really screw up the banks and ecosystem for the native species.

Bisch

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
One thing to always check on any type of the many reels they make. Make sure the wind does not blow your slack line behind your reel or handles of the reel before shooting.

If this happens you are going to break your line and lose an arrow. If the line doesn't break the arrow may come flying back and strike you.

One other warning a friend some times shoots his recurve bow with his index finger and thumb around the grip. His other fingers are pointed forward. Don't do this while bow fishing. This day the string wrapped around his  finger and tore the end off, I had to drive him to the hospital.

PBS  Member

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Bowfishing is some kinda fun!!!

Boat or Bank...doesn't matter...just enjoy!!!

Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
YO, Elmer!!!  That's like "ooooohh YUCK"!!!!!!
homebru

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
My carp from a few years ago.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©