3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing pics and tips  (Read 807 times)

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing pics and tips
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Looks like a blast. Time to go walk some riverbanks.
Live and let live.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Tim,  You have Carp in Jersy if you get away from the Coast.

If you come up to NY I will get you on fish.  I sold muy boat so it would be bank fishing unless I can talk a buddy into taking his boat out.

IN NY the regs say you can only shoot Carp.  Other states I have been in say Only Rough fish.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
There has been good advice here.  Also make sure you always have a spare arrow.  When I was a youngster, I had to end a few bowfishing trips early due to no ammo!

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Oh, Also,  If you have a Fish Barrel to put the dead in,  Its best to shoot the small ones otherwise the Barrel fills up quick with the 30+ lb fish.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I've been bowfishing since I was a boy. Even before I hunted big game I was crazy over shooting fish. Here's a few pics that span the years.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »

Over time you'll develop your own honey holes.

Check your state regs and you might be surprised at the fish you can legally shoot. This is a Bowfin or Grinnel.  

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Hey Charlie, did you shoot all 5 of those little gar through the heads with one shot?    :bigsmyl:  

Those bowfins and silver carp are cool looking fish! we don't have those around my parts.

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Bisch,

How do you think Charlie became a legend?  Certainly not by only shooting one fish at a time  ;)    :p  

Those Bowfin or commonly Called Dogfish where I grew up are cool fish. They Bark!  dont shoot them in the head!  although I have had penetration, I have lost more than I killed.  Broke an arrow once too hitting one in the head.

I want to shoot a gar one day.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
I have had the dogfish swim right up to the bank where I had shot some silver carp and blood had pooled on the shoreline and water edge. This one had 3/4 of his body sticking out of the water.

I don't know if he smelled the blood but couldn't figure any other reason why he would be almost out of the water he wasn't 2 feet from my boots when I shot him. I have caught them on pole and line before with chunks of Silver carp for bait.  

PBS  Member

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
My favorite fish to shoot I think they fight harder than any other fish I have shot. They will have every bit of  line pulled from AMS retriever reel in a second.

PBS  Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
oops work links. heres the pics.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Bisch... nope I didn't get all 5 with with one shot. Silly!

Now I have shot as many 4 carp with one shot... does that count?    :D  

I pulled off the 4 shot several times actually. Tried to get 5 with one but the arrow just didn't have the "oomph" to get through that many.

The carp were really small and pressed against each other. One larger female with 4 or 5 suitors doing their thing.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I shot a carp in a state lake one time pulled it in and had a bluegill that I had shot through also.

Charlie you must be shooting some poundage I have shot 2 carp but never 3 or 4 at the same time.
PBS  Member

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »
Bow fish'n is just a blast, can be a bit nasty but a blast none the less.

And as stated, be careful, can be a quick way to get hurt, a line can get snagged on your equipment & the arrow will be catapulted backwards instantly, I've heard of people get'n eyes knocked out from this, even seen pictures of a pair of sunglasses that the arrow penatrated, directly thru the lens & into the eye.

But its worth the price of a ratty old bow just for the purpose of having a bow to fish with, like I said, its a blast.

have fun.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline mulie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
LB_hntr,
Please tell me about your boat setup. Putting a bowfishing boat together is a short time goal of mine.
Thanks
Judd

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
Bofishil... Like I said the fish were very small. None were over a pound and I was shooting 75# in those days.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Charlie(cyclic) I have to look into the lakes and streams west of me, I live a mile from the beach.

Mr Lamb those pics are like a timeline of your growth as a man, like pencil marks on a door frame.My how far you've come, and all those years with a trad bow in your hands.Thanks for the pics.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by mulie:
LB_hntr,
Please tell me about your boat setup. Putting a bowfishing boat together is a short time goal of mine.
Thanks
Mine is built for a combination of backwater, rivers, marshes, and lakes. Small enough to launch at crappy little backwoods openings to access small waters and yet big enough to handle big lakes. for what i do its just about perfect for 2-3 guys. 4 guys is doable but i dont like it and will only do it if its 2 guys and 2 girls or kids, 4 full grown guys is a no for safey.
  Light wise i like halogen lights. easy to fix cheap to set up and replace. rocks on the highway, branches and stumps on the water all take a light out each season and cheap and easy to fix with halos. I use 300 watt bulbs in all 10 of my lights and power them with a champion 3500/4000 watt generator. My deck is a 2x4 frame with 3/4 plywood. next time I will use 2x3 for the frame as 2x4 is way over kill and extra weight. I like wood decks over aluminum personally becasue i dont have a aluminumm welder and its really easy to screw anything into anyplace and modify the deck. plus my deck cost less than 70 bucks ot make where alum deck materials alone can cost 10 times as much and only saves about 20% weight.

I just made a 2 podcasts about bowfishing boats. the first one will publish in 2 weeks from today and the 2nd one the week after. click the link below to go to podcast site.

There are many different ways to make a bowfishing boat. jons, mod v, trollers, kickers, fan rigs, air boats, etc. same with lighting...halogen, hps, MH, led, etc. options are endless.
  If you pm me and tell me what types of waters, how many people, budget, etc I would be more than happy to offer any advise i have to help you. I have been on jons, mod v, trollers, kickers, and air boats. All are great boats and in that podcast I give the pros and cons to each style of boat and size recommendions. In the second podcast I cover lighting, accessories, generators, etc.

Offline mulie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll watch your podcast and may get with you when I find a boat.  I have the same generator.  Bought it last summer for our hunting shack, but haven't used it much.
Thanks,
Judd
Judd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©