3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting is great!!  (Read 408 times)

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground hunting is great!!
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Had my first trad bow ground hunting experience today and had the best time ever.....without even getting a shot! Stalked around/still hunted mostly and right off the bat saw a huge red fox within 20 yards and got a neat picture of it. A little while later I was rounding a bend on a trail and came face to face with a NICE 8 pointer coming the other way on the trail at about 25 yards. I froze mid step with a all my weight on my forward leg and thought for sure he'd bolt out of there. We did about a 30 second stare down and I was avoiding eye contact like crazy staring at his feet. Then he does the last thing I'd ever expect and starts walking right at me! He is walking at me stomping with each step but steadily closing the distance and I'm trying to hold still and balance on one leg while my heart is beating out of my chest thinking "No way this is happening!". I can only imagine how strange I looked balancing on one leg all camoed up with my long bow in hand in the middle of a wide open trail. He gets inside ten yards (about 7-8) and I finally have to shift my weight a little to keep from falling over and as soon as I do he's snorts at me and is off to the races. He stops about 40 yards away and just looks at me before trotting off. No deer, but what a day!!! I think I'm gonna be spending most of my time on the ground now vs tree stands!!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting is great!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
I've killed my first two from the ground,but they were from a blind. I have still hunted like you talk about,and it is a ton of fun. Well glad you had fun.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
yep
no hanging stands and freedom to move.
Fun times!
Slickhead

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
The way I see it is that any time I spend in a blind is time not spent getting better at still hunting...I have the added factor of being able to hunt both mule deer and whitetails in the same bush environment...the key is you have to see them before they see you which is a lot easier to say than to do...I was within 15 yards of both a whitetail buck and a mule deer doe this fall...they both stood and looked at me for quite a while without spooking because I only hunt with favourable wind conditions...a deer that is looking at you will never offer an ethical shot

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
That's good fun. I hunted deer more from the ground this year then ever before and had a blast.
 Up close, eye level=fun hunt.

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Definitely true on the "no ethical shot" when they are looking at you. My buck tag is used this year anyway so that was never an option. Just as fun to be that close though! I just couldn't believe how close he got! Literally inside 10 yards. Closest I've ever been when in the open standing up. Great time. If the wind hadn't been right in my face it would never have happened. Made me a bigger believer in the Cabelas Outfitter Camo. Nothing fancy, but apparently does the job.

Offline kagross

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by mh2324:
Made me a bigger believer in the Cabelas Outfitter Camo. Nothing fancy, but apparently does the job.
Really?  Right now, Cabelas has their micro berber hooded outfitter jacket on sale for $49.99 (instead of $130ish).  Maybe I'll get one.

Offline kagross

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by kagross:

Made me a bigger believer in the Cabelas Outfitter Camo. Nothing fancy, but apparently does the job.
Really?  Right now, Cabelas has their micro berber hooded outfitter jacket on sale for $49.99 (instead of $130ish).  Maybe I'll get one.
   http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitters-Micro-Berber-Hooded-Jacket/1347900.uts?WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products  
[/b]

Offline kagross

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitters-Micro-Berber-Hooded-Jacket/1347900.uts?WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products    
[/b]
[/b]
Ok, ordered one.  I'm weak   :(

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
I live for it !!! I even practice in the off season wearing my ghillie suit with a camera for a weapon!
Larrydawg
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline Grayling Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »
I'm basically new to traditional but I have made a deal with myself to hunt from the ground out of a blind and taking only a ten yard or less shot. Its amazing what a guy learns with this goal. I have learned how to get deer within this range but pulling back is my new target to work on. I am taking heat from guys shooting deer at 60 yards with their x bows but I don't care this stage in my hunting life. It is pure self gratification ! Now I realize that preparation and really thinking my set up out means everything.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
Grayling that what I did when I got my first trad bow, from the ground, it took two years but a memory I wont forget. It started a fire the wont go out. Now I do both but that was a goal I met.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
Ground hunting is just about all I do anymore and I have had some great sittings in November just sitting in rootballs on the side of fallin trees near trails...When you have deer within 5 yards it really makes the hunt more enjoyable even if you cann't get a shot for some reason...What I enjoy most is there is "No" stand to carry in an out and you can use what is on the ground as cover.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
All ground for me the last couple years. I love it! It really hasn't reduced the amount of deer I see or shoot and I can adapt to wind or weather in a moments notice.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
I keep readin these ground huntin threads and it keeps me from buying some more treestands..lol

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »

Really?  Right now, Cabelas has their micro berber hooded outfitter jacket on sale for $49.99 (instead of $130ish).  Maybe I'll get one. [/b]
That's actually the exact jacket/pullover I had on! Not to say the camo was a determining factor in that whole thing, but apparently it didn't hurt either! I think you'll like it. Mine is the Windshear version. Super warm too.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Been on the ground since 1975...is there any other way to bowhunt?? It's a real rush taking a deer from the ground less than 10 yds away. Add to that the option of still hunting...another great way to locate deer and new areas...plus
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline MacRae

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I am FINALLY getting back into hunting this fall (don't ask)...and I NEVER be in a tree again....I HATE packing them, setting them up and packing them back out...getting sweaty in cold weather, just not for me....

Torge's Tree Seat ALL the WAY!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I can leave my stands in place all season but hunting on the ground is so much more simple.

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Went out hunting today. I must have been ground hunting, I shot it twice. Once, a rabbit almost got in the way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©