3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting is great!!  (Read 407 times)

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting is great!!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Went out hunting today. I must have been ground hunting, I shot it twice. Once, a rabbit almost got in the way.
Now thats funny   :biglaugh:

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
mh - I've ground hunted only since 1987. There is NO way in the world I'd ever go back to being restrained in a tree.
One thing I've learned about deer that are definitely going to come within range is to instantly kneel down. They cannot tag you as a human that way and are more likely to tolerate your presence. I know you didn't have time, but that's a tip (I read it in a book) that is too good to keep to myself. It has allowed me to get away with being completely away from any cover whatsoever when a deer happens by...
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I have always tried to hunt from a tree stand or from a tree limb...but after this year I am starting to wonder if the shots from the ground are more likely to be kill shots because you do away with the bad vertical angle.?? Any thoughts?
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I've shot mulies (WY) and one white-tail (TX) from the ground. It is a novel shot for me not too have too worry about tree-steep angles that might not produce an exit wound.

Personally, I'm planning to put up more treestands than I ever have this coming July. My son and I will take down 4 hang-ons next week and put into storage.

I went to the trees October 1, 1970 when I was 16 and can't imagine not spending most of my fall hunting hours in em.  I love being in trees. I love the feel of the tree when a squirrel jumps in just a few feet above your head. Eye to eye with birds, and I can fidget more in the tree than outside a blind on the ground.

I have to admit though I'm impressed by fellows who consistently take white-tail deer from the ground.

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blog on Bottom:
mh - I've ground hunted only since 1987. There is NO way in the world I'd ever go back to being restrained in a tree.
One thing I've learned about deer that are definitely going to come within range is to instantly kneel down. They cannot tag you as a human that way and are more likely to tolerate your presence. I know you didn't have time, but that's a tip (I read it in a book) that is too good to keep to myself. It has allowed me to get away with being completely away from any cover whatsoever when a deer happens by...
Thanks for the tip! That's some great info and something I wouldn't have known to do. Makes sense though. I think thats why this deer was so curious and didn't immediately bolt off, because I was facing him directly with my arms and bow pulled close to my body and not profiled at all as I would have been if I were walking perpendicular to him. Much easier to identify a human from the side I would guess than from the front.

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
You're welcome. It was a eureka moment for me when I read that tip and tried it. So that I give appropriate credit, the book was Still-Hunting Trophy Whitetails by Bill Vaznis.
When I read it a couple of years ago, I was frustrated that I had not figured it out on my own. Thinking back through the years, when deer had come upon me while I was kneeling or sitting by a tree, they rarely gave me a second look. When I was upright, the deer either spooked or were so wired that no shot was possible.
Since then, when I realize a deer is going to be in range, I nearly dive for the ground. I almost never spook them now. (Assuming I've played the wind correctly.)
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©