3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 207 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
What next?
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Well I got my 1535 GT today and set up 2 to shoot bare shaft.  I did not cut them at all just put the insert in and a 100gr tip and shot.  At my max distance of 11 yards, they fly very nice.  If I don't get a good release, they show they are a little stiff but for the most part they are shooting straight.  So would you leave them allow and fletch some up or would you try to cut them down and add a 50 or 100 grain insert up front?  I have about 3.5-4" that I could cut off.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
What grain broadhead do you want to shoot?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Forgot, total arrow weight without fletching is 360 grains.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I would like to shoot my 100 Stingers or 125 Magnus 2 blade heads.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Set up a couple fletched same details and see where they all group. You will need to wait to shoot outside 20-25yds to adequately bare shaft tune. Use same field point weight that you want in a broadhead. Hopefully your right on or weak in spine and shortening the arrows a little at a time, 1/4" at first, will stiffen it. Adding the heavier inserts will weaken spine.  So depends on you target arrow weight were to go.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Is a 360 grain arrow out of a 45# @ 28" bow okay for deer out to 25 yards?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
8 grains per pound is getting on the light side for many trad bows.  That's not for arrow performance but for not over stressing the bow.  If the bow can handle them, they will work on deer.

On a personal note, I would go with a heavier arrow but as I say that's just me.  Again, more for the bow than hunting performance.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by wisconsinteacher:
Is a 360 grain arrow out of a 45# @ 28" bow okay for deer out to 25 yards?
I'd go heavier just because I love a quiet bow and your penetration should increase.  Easiest way is to go with the 150 gr. stingers.  You've upped your FOC, the bow is quieter, and minimal cutting to the shafts.  
I started with a 45# recurve and used 520 gr. arrows by utilizing 100gr. Brass inserts.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:11:00 AM »
360 grains on a 45 lbs bow means 8 gpp. That's about as low you can go for most traditional bows. The bow will tell you if she likes it. If it gets loud and gives more vibrations after the shot, she is telling you you are asking too much from her.
If it is a one pce longbow, I think you are a little bit to low in weight. If it is a three pce design, you could get away with it. The higher  mass allows you to shoot lower weight arrows.

You could try to shorten the shaft a little and use 125 grains points. Be careful with shortening, carbon shafts are very sensitive for that, they will get a higher spine very fast. Just start with halve an inch max. each time.  Fletching will add another 10 grains. A wrap also adds another 10 grains. Then you will move towards the 8.5 gpp, which will be a little bit safer for your bow.

For the deers it won't matter.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
Personally I would add the 100gr brass insert, use 100 or 125gr points and shorten shaft to tune. I have never been a light arrow fan so no experience shooting deer with that light a setup. This will get you just over 10gpp. Bow will be quieter(good for hunting)and not stressed as much. Both the higher weight and increased foc will up penetration.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©