3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is a Silvertip TD LB much Quieter than a Tip TD recurve?  (Read 582 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Is a Silvertip TD LB much Quieter than a Tip TD recurve?
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
For you lucky folks who have both, is there an obvious difference in which is quieter? I would expect so but I would like to hear it from the horses mouth. I had TD Zipper LB limbs that were quieter than my curve limbs on the same riser. Getting near to placing my order and in the words of the bad guy in Dirty Harrys opening scene "I Gots Ta Know!"        Thanks a bunch, Izzy.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is a Silvertip TD LB much Quieter than a Tip TD recurve?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
IMHO, the TD LB is quieter. Whenever you don't have to deal with the string hitting the limbs, it is going to be quieter.
I had to sell mine when I switched hands, but it was quieter than my recurves, with all things being equal.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
I still cry at night over not buying that bow from you Ken.   :rolleyes:

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Izzy,

I have never shot the silvertip longbow, but I am the new owner of a silvertip curve. I've always wanted one, but never came across the right deal. Mine is 60", #75@28", and has camo fast flight limbs. I'm not sure what string came on this bow from the p. o. But I gotta say I was very disappointed in how loud it was. This is my first recurve in a while, and I just assumed it was just loud by comparison to my longbows. I switched to longbows strictly due to how quiet they were over recurves.

So after a few weeks getting to know this bow, I decided to twist up a 16 strand B50. I added some big ol fur silencers and it was quieter, but I was still dissatisfied. Again I just assumed it was just the nature of a recurve to be inherently louder.  Plus, I mean, there isn't anything out there that can be quieted down by a big ol fat Dacron string, right?

So last night I got a wild idea to try a skinny D97. I did some research and found that 12 strands is sufficient at this weight. I twisted one up and padded the loops with B50 to 18 strands in the loops, and added some simple yarn silencers at 9" from the top loop and 10" from the bottom loop.

I was completely blown away at the difference. The silvertip that was on the chopping block to be sold is now a different bow. It is easily as quiet as my longbows now. I'm still doing some experimenting with strand count, silencer material and location as well as loop padding. But I know now that there is hope for this bow.

I hope your enjoying your new tip. Please post pics. I don't get on here as often anymore due to work schedule, but it's nice when I do.

Take care,
Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Silvertip recurves do indeed need to be quieted down right out of the box. But once you find the right formula, they are deadly quiet.
I was shocked at how loud they are with no silencers at all. But when you spend that kinda dough, you don't give up. Each one has had a little different need, but I found them all.
Izzy, never shot a ST takedown longbow, but owned a couple of 1 piece.
Like Kat said, definitely quieter out of the box.
But you will be able to quiet the curve down to your satisfaction.
Its part of the fun.
Cant wait to see this bow.....
David M. Conroy

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
I ain't ever owned a longbow made by Shafer,but with a good skinny string and a pair of wool silencers my recurve are church mouse quiet,I am amased how quiet they can be,maybe just my Zipper SXT is quiter.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I don't have my ST takedown anymore   :knothead: , but both of my one piece Silvertips are extremely quiet! I have a stock string with bow hush on one, and a skinny string with wool silencers on the other!   :thumbsup:

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
Message  sent izzy    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Ive never shot a Tip TD LB.  I have 4 recurves.  They are all extremely quiet.  But I use SBD strings on all my bows.

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
I"ve only owned Dave's recurves and one piece longbows, so I'm no help on the takedown longbow. But, if I were you, I'd ask Dave himself. I believe he now shoots a takedown longbow. Can't go wrong either way, but you already know that!
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
I haven't owned a Schafer three piece longbow, just a one and two piece longbows.  I have both one and three piece recurves.  The longbows are quieter.  You can minimize the sound of the recurves with a correct brace height, padded string, silencers.... and what not.  However, with a lot less effort, my longbow still make less noise.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
of course it is

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Ask your buddy Kevin how dare you ask anybody else
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
I have had both and I kept the LB. Much quieter IMO. I know you can get the recurves pretty quiet but just can't get to longbow quiet. The only RC I have close is the new Habu recurve limbs.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Ok, I guess I'm just different.
I have a Silvertip t.d. l.b. but I haven't shot a Silvertip recurve.
I love the longbow. It is very quiet and all I have on it at the moment are cat whiskers .
I've been wanting to try a set of hush puppies but just haven't ordered a set yet.  
I wish I had a recurve to compare with........maybe someday
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
I agree with ZMonster on the skinny string quieting a curve down in short order!  I haven't done it with a Silvertip, but my Widow curves are whole new animals with the SBD string on them...  There are other "skinny" strings out there, but the SBD is what I've used...  Easily as quiet as any high performance longbow I've ever shot...  Maybe not straight limb Hill or selfbow quiet, but scary quiet.  Helps the manners of the bow too...  You know the "Skinny" (sorry for the pun...) on my current thinking/situation Izzy, and I'd be willing to bet the tip curve would come around noticeably with a skinny string too...

To your question directly, it's a simple yes, the Silvertip longbow is quieter then the Silvertip curve...  And they are within a few fps of each other also...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
I have a Paul Shafer Silvertip and have to say that this is by far the quietest recurve I have ever shot. We are talking church mouse, did I say I love this bow! I owned an ACS longbow once and up until my tip, that was the quietest, not anymore!   :thumbsup:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I don't do longbows but I can say of all my recurves the Schafer is the one that sound at the shot doesn't cross my mind.

The only reason I haven't hunted with my Schafer yet is whenever I shoot it I have more trouble keeping my non-dominant eye at bay than with my TT Titan, Sasquatch, and some others.  I send a flier to the right (I'm RH but shoot LH to match dominant eye).

I'm thinking it must be the grip but the grip on this bow is the absolute most comfortable of any I've held. I like that it is a bit flat in the palm and it is checkered. Maybe the checkering is the issue, it is the only bow I have at this time that has a checkered grip.

It really bugs me. I am bound and determined figure this bow out so I trust hunting with it.

I marvel at it and don't have any idea (except for metal ILF bows) why some are more quiet than others. My Sasquatch is also very quiet.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Roy:I marvel at it and don't have any idea (except for metal ILF bows) why some are more quiet than others. My Sasquatch is also very quiet.

Roy, I believe that limb balance and timing is the answer to this. Few people understand how critical it is to have both limbs timed so that they return and hit brace at exactly the same time . Also how critical it is to have them the same weight and dimension. Bowyers that build with micrometer in hand are much more likely to do this than bowyers that build in mass with production more in mind than perfection. Not that this makes every bow a perfect bow but it does show up in the overall picture.
For instance I had a bow with a slight buzz in the limb  that I was testing the other day and worked all day long to get that buzz out. Tiller was perfect . Bow was timed, arrows hitting spot on but it had this buzz./ I finally discovered that the top limb  was very slightly out of alignment. I mean so slightly that you could not see it with your eye. I could not even see it to a scribed center line but I could see that it was not centered perfectly on the bolt on the top limb. I moved the limb slightly over and voila. No more buzz. Gone. Now in all the time I have built bows I had never experienced something this small making such a huge difference . But ,, LIve and learn.
Anyway. I take that much time and I know Kirk and several others do and I believe it makes the difference.

God bless, Steve
God bless, Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Steve,
I just noticed you are from Medford, OR.  Beautiful place! I've done two NASP trainings there a few years ago. Dan Seifert (Wapiti Archery) was my contact there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©