3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur or keep my Morrison?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
Centaur or keep my Morrison?
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
I've wanted a Centaur for a while now but I don't know anyone that has one or even shot one. I've read a lot of great things about Centaurs and want to shoot one! My question is should I try to trade my Morrison Ilf recurve for one? My Morrison is very fancy with skins, horn tips, carbon/foam cores and checkering on the grip with highly figured cocobolo. I'm just not sure I should get rid of a bow that's got everything for a 1pc longbow that's I've never shot. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it if you have shot both types of bows. I really would like to shoot in the longbow class for ibo shoots and I would have to shoot a 1 or 2 piece bow and wood arrows. That's the main reason I'm thinking about switching from my Morrison recurve.

Thanks for the help,
Logan
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur or keep my Morrison?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I wouldnt recomend getting rid of a bow I really like to get one I have never even held in my hands. Centaurs are great bows, I have my third coming. Morrisons are great bows too from what I have heard and would really like to try one some day but I wont part with my Centaurs to try one. Save your money till you can pick one up from the classifieds then make your decision......Just my 2 cents.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
You wont find a bigger Centaur supporter then me, but I would not trade a bow that i was comfortable with and really liked.  I would either buy a used one, borrow one to shoot and try out before I ordered one.

When you decide to order one, Jim Neaves is a great bowyer to deal with on your order, really willing to take the time to listen to what you want and also give you useful information and tips to round out your decision.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Centaur's are very nice but don't sell your Morrison to get one. Morrison's are top shelf and you would be sorry. I had a Centaur but sold it as I need more weight in a bow to be as accurate as I can be. Mow grass, shovel snow or anything else to raise the beans but don't sell your Morrison.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Logan,
these guys have the long and short of it.  Mainly, if you were to make the switch, you need to be comfortable with the difference between a 1pc and 3pc first.  A big difference in the two bows will be physical weight and that is a big factor for a lot of us when choosing a bow.  Compared to your Morrison ILF, a wood riser Centaur with carbon/boo limbs will be feather light. And I mean light.  A lot of guys who are used to a 'heavier' bow use a bow quiver on them to make up for the light weight, or pay the extra and get a Dark Matter version that adds 8oz over the wood version.  I don't like bow quivers, so I either shoot mine bare or use a strap on stabilizer setup that I came up with.  I have found that in the end, I can shoot the bow well using either way, I just find that when the bow is 'bare' I just need to hold it more lightly.  With the 12oz stabilizer its lights out 'fuggetabowdit'  ;)  

Before you take the plunge:

"You wont find a bigger Centaur supporter then me, but I would not trade a bow that i was comfortable with and really liked. I would either buy a used one, borrow one to shoot and try out before I ordered one."-Lamey

I would get comfortable switching back and forth between a 3pc and a 1pc, and then go for the all-out build.  

Jim will treat you right, he's the man, and his bows have a WELL deserved reputation.  Mine is about to head to Texas with me for an attempt at some porcine ethnic cleansing  :D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the quick response everyone! I've owned over 30 bows in the last couple years and there have been a lot of 1pc bows. I adapt very easy to the different bow but prefer a med or high wrist grip. My Morrison has a low grip which I've gotten use to but shoot a higher wrist better. The Morrison is awesome in every way but the low grip is really starting to bother me!

PBS Associate member

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
The only time I like a low wrist grip is if the bow has a really good cast.

PBS Associate member

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
The only time I like a low wrist grip is if the bow has a really good cast.

PBS Associate member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I'd sell it for a high wrist Morrison then.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I may have a solution for you: Jim Neaves now makes ILF limbs-- I just bought a pair for my Morrison ILF riser and THEY ARE SWEET. With ILF, you CAN have the best of both worlds!

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
KentuckyTJ, I'm trying to buy a 15" med grip Morrison riser off of a buddy of mine but he doesn't want to let it go very easy lol I just get mixed up in trying different bows that I loose a lot of great bows that shoot great for me. I shoot my Morrison riser fine but I shoot my buddies way better, I was hitting pop cans out at 60 yards every other shot when I was shooting his!!!

PBS Associate member

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
You said you wanted to shoot the IBO longbow class? If that's the case, your Morrison won't qualify. If you don't like the grip, that's strike 2 . Sounds too me you already know the answer. Are you having problems parting from the Morrison because of it's bling?

I've had bows I love the look's but they never where confidence builders when shot. Tried and tried to make them work but some shoes fit better for other's.

Doesn't Morrison build a 1 piece longbow? If so, look for one of those w/ a med. grip. The grip should be similar to your buddy's bow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by huntryx:
I may have a solution for you: Jim Neaves now makes ILF limbs-- I just bought a pair for my Morrison ILF riser and THEY ARE SWEET. With ILF, you CAN have the best of both worlds!
Totally forgot about the ILF limbs, good call. And no one year wait on those far as I know  :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
I know I can't shoot my Morrison for that class, that's why I was looking at a Centaur. A Centaur is at the top of my list to try so that's why I started this thread asking around. Thanks for all your input!

PBS Associate member

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Surely there must be someone within driving distance of Logan that has a Centaur for him to shoot. He really needs our help spending a wad of cash on a new longbow......Because that is exactly what is going to happen after he shoots a Centaur    :D  

Seriously, what part of Ohio are you located in? Or if you're going to Kzoo maybe someone could bring one for you to shoot?
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
How would you feel about the Morrison being gone if the Centaur didn't turn out to be what you imagined?

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Centaurs are GREAT bows but if you have one you like and can shoot well, I would not get rid of it. You can get a Centaur off the classifieds but you will regret your selling of an old friend.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm in central Ohio, if I got rid of the Morrison and the Centaur wasn't up to my standards I guess that wouldn't be the first time its happened to me! Lol

PBS Associate member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I'd keep your Morrison! Not to knock the other but gosh, the thought of trying to replace it!

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
get rid of that morrison and you"ll hate yourself . I have a centaur and love it but if the bow works for me I hate getting rid of her

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©