3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally pulled the trigger on wood shafts  (Read 618 times)

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally pulled the trigger on wood shafts
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
well, last Friday I finally decided to order some cedar shafts. Looking to round out tradition this year, I guess. I was wondering if there are any tutorials on wood arrow building here that would be helpful. More specific, I'd be looking for nock alignment in relation to the grain and any other tips to make the best of my new venture.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally pulled the trigger on wood shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Nock alignment is the "valley" of the nock is perpendicular to the grain.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Here's one good one by Flying Dutchman  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=106905;p=1

Here's another one in the how to:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000119

Just do a little search (right under the ads where it says your profile, search etc.) of the forums and get some ideas on crestings and the like!

Good luck!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Looking good. Thanks guys! I love this bar.
I also really love this from the USPS website!!

January 22, 2014 , 11:39 am

Delivered .

WICHITA, KS
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Go to the "How to" section.  Will be as easy or hard as you want it to be.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
I'll dig around tonight and see if I can locate some resources for you.  

Take yourself down into the "How To" section from the main menu and there are many good threads on straightening and working with wood.

Trad Gang How To  

Straighten before you taper and again after you stain, and one final check after the finish coat.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Way to go joe   :campfire:    :campfire:

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Man the How To section is addictive!! Well I got the shafts, hand straightened a few, tapered, red oak stained and now have a second coat of polyurethane on all of them. (Hanging to dry in the kitchen- don't tell the wife, she's out of town)

I've been wondering about something though... For those who buy and shoot wood shafts regularly, how many shafts do you typically expect to be 'shooters' from a given dozen? Are there typically throwbacks that become a part of another project? Just curious, as I don't want to get my hopes up and find out with a big slap in the face.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
When I buy good quality shafts from good dealers/manufactures..ie hildbrande, surewoods..etc..99.9% are good.

...just have to make sure I order the right spine..and don't cut too short while tuning..lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Rory, they should all shoot fine.  Wood is all I have shot for thirty years and maybe one out of a hundred might have to be culled.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:

The image focuses on grain being perpendicular but also shows proper nock placement in respect to grain runout on the top and bottom of the shaft.  

Perfect diagram Joe.    :thumbsup:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I am assuming one can tune Wood in the same manner as I tune Carbon and Aluminum.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
yep...my experience is they are more sensitive than carbon.
meaning if you remove a 1/4" from a carbon you might not notice a change..take 1/4" off wood you'll probably notice a change.

inverse...carbons seem to absorb lots of tip weight changes and still fly well. Change the tip weight on wood 25 grains you'll probably see the change.

haven't tried Alum. shafts with trad gear so no comments there.
    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
May I suggest a quality ''spine tester''. Some distributors will advertise w/in 5 lbs spine which means 40-45 could be some are 39-38 and others 46-47. I usually buy 2 dz and hope to get 1 quality dz shafts for hunting. Again, I use my spine tester to get the exact spine I need from a bundle of shafts.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 02:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by RedStag5728:
Here's one good one by Flying Dutchman   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=106905;p=1  

Here's another one in the how to:
  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000119  

Just do a little search (right under the ads where it says your profile, search etc.) of the forums and get some ideas on crestings and the like!

Good luck!
I am pleasantly surprised to see that my tutorial still.is being used and appreciated!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Is it okay to paint a cap on these over a poly finish? Will it hold up? I love and hate new ventures all at the same time sometimes. I just don't want to slap some paint on the caps of these and have it ruined. the finishes look so nice on them right now, but I'm hesitant to fletch them in case I can paint the caps.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Seems quite a few arrows that I've seen with paint as the outer layer, the paint smeared from a little contact on the bow.

Not sure if there's a paint to use that won't.
Never painted an arrow..lol

As an option, you could get a wrap from onestringer.com

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
I've used spray(Krylon) paint and dipped in thinned water based paint for crowns with good success.
 It surprises me how foreign wood arrows are to so many folks. That's all I've used for over 25 years. When I got started I ordered a dozen shafts from 3Rivers along with pre cut feathers and plastic nocks and built arrows. I used water based paint for crowns, water based poly to dip(in a PVC pipe) and seal and craft paint for cresting. They shot great and I haven't turned back. I really don't see the difficulty. Once you know what spine to buy you just make the arrows. It's not brain surgery and I consider the little extra you might have to do with wood shafts as part of my archery experience. Anyone can go to the archery shop and have someone make what they need but what fun is that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
I'm with you on wanting to do it all myself Pat. I've been cutting, tuning and fletching my own aluminums and carbons since shortly after taking to traditional archery a few years ago. I love not waiting for someone else to get it done for me. I just thought to tap the community for some experienced advise on wood, since this is my first batch.

Thanks!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©