3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad archery/hunting injuries  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad archery/hunting injuries
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
On the way to our stands one morning I decided to check my wifes broadheads to be sure they were hunting sharp. Laid my thumb on the edge of the blade while walking. Then watched my thumb drip blood through a rag all the way to her stand.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
When I was 15, I was out bowfishing and the line got caught on something when I shot, pulling the arrow nock end first back into my hand.  The nock buried in between my first two fingers about 1.5" deep and then popped back out.  That was fun...

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
I have shot myself in the hand with the back 3rd of an exploded wooden arrow as well, AND I over shot the first couple days with my 65# longbow and had shoulder issues in my bow arm for a few weeks.
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
This didn't happen to me but back in the 70's a friend of mine was stringing his bow using the instep and pushing the top limb away from him method and the bow limb slipped out of his hand, hitting him right between the eyes leaving a nasty gash and knocking him out cold. Very scary!!
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
When I was a kid I accidently shot my dads garage door. My feelings were hurt badly and have yet to heal.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by hitman:
This didn't happen to me but back in the 70's a friend of mine was stringing his bow using the instep and pushing the top limb away from him method and the bow limb slipped out of his hand, hitting him right between the eyes leaving a nasty gash and knocking him out cold. Very scary!!
we had a local gentleman named Jack Whitt, who back in the 70's lost a eye doing the same thing
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Several years ago I fumbled an arrow with a newly-sharpened Wensel Woodsman on the end and it dropped right into my thigh, penetrating more than an inch. There was a lot of bleeding, a trip to the ER (whew missed the artery but cut through a major nerve) and now I have a numb spot and a very unique archery scar as a tribute to the penetration power of a sharp broadhead and a heavy (550g) arrow shaft!    :rolleyes:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Back a few years ago, I was deer hunting in the Sweetwater Rocks area of Wyoming. Being invincible, I jumped off a rock, about 6 feet vertically. Rolled my ankle big time, and thought I had broken it at the time (turned out to be a bad sprain). I was about 3 miles from the truck, in rough country. The hobble back to the truck was pretty painful, but I got to use my longbow as a crutch.  Don't try that at home.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
I know this isn't particularly as trad related as you guys', but I wanted to try my hand at making my own arrows from straight grained Popular boards I had bought from Lowes. Well instead of splitting them down to 3/8" squares to plane off the edges I decided to use our table saw. It started off well, cut the boards to 36" lengths, set the bridge to 3/8" and started ripping the boards, got about halfway through the board to the point of using the push stick and not thinking I placed my thumb against the board to keep it pressed against the bridge and hit a knot.

Well needless to say, the board kicked and my thumb slipped right into the blade! Luckily it just barely caught the tip of my thumb but it cut a gash the width of the saw blade and tore all the meat and flesh almost down to bone. Didn't hurt until 30 minutes later. Didn't go to the doctor, just peroxided it while it was still numb, and wrapped it up.

Needless to say I gave up on homemade arrows using the table saw and I am going to split them from now on! Got a cool scar out of the deal, and killed the nerve in the tip of my left thumb (no longer have any feeling), but it hurt my pride more than anything!

Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©