3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AD trads -one shaft for multiple bows?  (Read 970 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
AD trads -one shaft for multiple bows?
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
I have three bows I shoot regularly, ranging from 54 to 61# @ 28.  I draw to 29.5.  I'd love to be able to shoot one set of arrows out of all three by simply adjusting point weight.  I've read some good things about AD shafts and am wondering if this would work?  Anyone do this?

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: AD trads -one shaft for multiple bows?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
"If you will do a search for Arrow Dynamics here in the PowWow, 'subject only'...you will get 7 pages of threads...."

Here's one...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=034050;p=2

I edited the link to the 1st page.    :)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
I think you will find mixed results with the folks here on Tradgang.  I really like mine for the reasons you mentioned,  but many have not had the same luck and don't care for them.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
I can't speak for your heavy weights, but in lighter weights, I've found few arrows that shoot so well out of a range of bows than AD's and Grizzlystik's.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
The AD trads will suit your needs perfectly and once you use them you will never want to try another shaft.
James Kerr

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
My advice would be to try a test kit and decide for yourself.

Wish I had.  It's a good thing I enjoy building arrows.  I wasn't overly impressed with ADs and resale wasn't very good either. That's fine though.  Other lessons in life have cost me a heck of a lot more.  

Changing point weights would allow you to do the same thing with other shafts just as easily as you can with ADs. You only mention a 7# spread.  You could probably just as easily change point weights on FMJ 340s and obtain good results at both ends of your 54#-61# spectrum

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I shoot the AD trad shaft with bows from 59 pounds down to 50 pounds with no adjustment to point weight.  I haven't been able to do that with any other shaft.  And this is with good flight, not putting up with a wobble.  I think your weights play even better to the range the shaft would like.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:48:00 AM »
I shoot the same GT trads shafts for my three bows, varying  between the 45 and 48 lbs. Only  thing I had to do was building out the strikeplate for one bow.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
Adjust the side-plate thickness on each of your 3 bows to change how your arrows react in stiffness/weakness until you get the desired results from each bow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
Awesome shafts and I found them to be perfect out two of my bows that were 6 lbs difference in draw weight
And super tuff arrows
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
I shoot the AD trads out of all my bows, from 53# to 62#, same length and same point weight, fly great out of all of them. I can also shoot the AD Hammerheads, Hammerhead lites, Nitro Stinger Gold, Green, and Orange out of all of them with the same result.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
I find you can do that easy if they are all of similar center cut.  I think the center cut is the biggest key to picking the right AD shaft as well.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Ditto what Danny said on the Hammerhead shafts.  I shoot them out of a longbow 54lbs at 27 through recurves including Black Widows up to 61 lbs. at 27 with the same arrows and point weight.  They all fly great.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Never heard of a pierced forearm due to a tapered carbon shaft.  Sounds a bit like an urban legend to me...

Anyway, I'm going to try them to see what the hype is all about.  Gary over at D&M has offered to send me a couple to compare.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Sniper,
It's really not a gimmick! It's just copying nature. tapered shafts have been around since caveman days. Cut a limb or shoot or cane or briar stem for a shaft, it's naturally tapered.

Ever notice how surprisingly accurate primitive equipment shoots!!?? Most often a primitive shaft is tapered.  

The ADs are extremely tough. Been using them for years and I can't recall breaking one! And they do fly better than parallel shafts.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
I edited his post out...absolutely uncalled for.  He admitted that he's never shot them but want's to make totally unwarranted comments about them?

C'mon man, that's not what TradGang is about.

YES....is the answer you will get from me if they will shoot for you.  Read that thread linked at the top...and I'll see if there's another.

9 out of 10 of the folks I've turned them onto like them, and say the same things about them that I do....Multiple bow weights and multiple head weights.  But, you also might be 1 of the nine that they don't work for.

Been using them for over a decade and let me tell ya, they HAVE been used by me and I HAVE put them to use and I STILL shoot them exclusively(cept when I shoot wood), and have killed hundreds of animals with them.

I've retired some of my most special ones from special kills....pictured below are ADs shot from bow weights 58-70 pounds and head weights from 150-225.  The ones that are vertical I haven't labeled yet....thanks for starting this thread as I've been needing to label a few of them for a while now........

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks, Terry.  I appreciate the straight forward answer.  I'm getting a sample from D&M and we'll see if I become a believer.  I hope so...

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
I was checking out their website and was looking at the spines they have available. Are the spines listed in deflection or do they use their own rating?
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Gringol....how long of an arrow you shoot?

I shoot 29 BOP and you are welcome to try one if you like.

You can actually cut off the front end of them 2 or 3 inches from full length and it doesn't effect the spine as the spine is mostly in the taper.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
They were tough enough for sure.  

The ADs I tried were the wood grain versions.  Terry, I see you seem to prefer the black AD shafts.  Is there a noticeable difference other than color?  

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©