3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinkin' I might need a Habu...  (Read 580 times)

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinkin' I might need a Habu...
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
Well, I just sold off a few of my bows. And like any addict, I'm looking for something new. I've yet to own, or even shoot a newer Habu. If I buy one, it'll be the first bow that I've bought without shooting one. I'll be looking for something used, so to those own or have owned Chris' newer bows, are there any particular models or years to look for or avoid? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nate
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinkin' I might need a Habu...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
Great grip. Excellent craftsmanship. Top of the heap on custom bows.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Very nice bows, all that LoneWolf wrote above. Plus they are very stable, easy to string, and the woods are top-of-the line for the species. Choices are pretty slim, mostly Cocobolo or Bacote but those are sure two nice woods.

I've had 2011 and have 2012.  I like them both. Frankly, they were equally good and I couldn't tell any difference in these two years. Both of mine were/are recurves.

I hunted with the 2011 and it worked great for  me. I've been hunting with other bows the past two years.  I suspect I may be returning to the Habu as my consistent shooter.

If you find what you are looking for you can probably get a very good price with the used market so stinky these days. The two-year wait is a huge deterrent to many who might like a Habu. Of course they ain't cheap.  

This will sound odd but I'm proud of the fact that I paid very fair prices for mine. I didn't wait for hundreds to be discounted or ask for price breaks. I knew what they were worth and what is the value of 5 days vs. two years?

Neither one was more than a few weeks old when I bought them.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
been watching the LH longbow in the classifieds for a long time  I cant believe no one has bought this bow at 1/2 the price of a new one
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
I had a Death Adder for about a year. Loved the grip, very well built, very easy to shoot, only issue was it was HEAVY, just too much mass for my taste. I did however shoot it very well and loved the way it looked so much I had to order a vyperkhan. I called him to discuss and long story short, "we did not hit it off" to put it mildly. I sold it a few days later. A shame.

Great bows though.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Never shot his newer bows or a longbow hybrid...but I absolutely loved the Habu Bushmaster recurves he made in the 90s....I have a brown one after getting a nice used grey first.  Just did not FEEL the grey so sold it and bought a brown exactly like it in 1999.  Great bows....and a lot cheaper than new and they stand the test of time.

I dont think there are any to avoid per se...depends on what you like or want. They are a heavy mass bow...makes very stable and such but even though I lugged my Habu recurve in Georgia swamps and marshes for miles and hours a day last year for four days on canoe hunting trip....it is not a light bow in the hand.   :)    But it is a workhorse and a high performing workhorse at that...haha

If straight up recurve I would recommend one from 90s through early 2000s...if more of the Vyperhkan or Death Adder style in your future...then just wait for the classifieds and make it known on a couple forums and one might pop up.  My recurve is 60# @29 and is 64" bow and pulls as smooth as many 50-55# bows at my draw of 29.5 inches.  His tolerances are very small...he is anal and a perfectionist...and it shows in his work.

That being said...the prices are crazy on new bows....

Good shooting and best of luck...might give him a yell to see if anyone has a used one they are looking to sell to fund a new purchase from him.  Otherwise just stay vigilant and ready when popes up as they dont last long on used market.

here she is...12 years old in this picture...

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
I really enjoyed the two Habus I use to own(vyperkhan and death adder). Great shooters!! Both had awesome cocobolo wood. I don't know if you can go wrong with a Habu. Good luck with your search   :archer2:

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice fellas. Sounds like it'd be hard to go wrong with any of them. I have yet to talk to or hear from anyone anything negative about his craftsmanship. I understand his pricing after talking to him. What the heck, I think his bows have done the marketing themselves. I spoke with Chris tonight and I jumped on the list, but…as mentioned above, I'd rather wait 5 days than 2 years…So, if you happen to have one in the low/mid 50# range that you'd part with, pm me. I'd be more than interested.
Nate
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©