3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: (I was initially) frustrated With Bear Archery, update page 5  (Read 2097 times)

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: (I was initially) frustrated With Bear Archery, update page 5
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
I would not want one like that either so not making excuses, but some of the old "greenies" with the white (where wood did not take dye) look mighty cool.  

I might find one of these with more white attractive too.

Again, no excuses, you ordered black and wanted black.  

I would recommend they sell the ones with the white as "seconds" or via some means where folks can see before they buy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm not taking Bear Archery's side on this matter, but I find it interesting how fast people jump on the bandwagon to bash Bear Archery today.  

My point is, if you or I were to have an issue with a bow we received from Tall Tines or Schafer or Stalker or another custom bowyer, we would go to great links to resolve the matter in private without tossing our issues out there on a public forum.  

I had a horrible experience with a custom bowyer several years ago and only myself, the bowyer and a few close friends know anything about it.  

I'm sure Bear Archery will get this one right eventually. Neil Byce is a standup guy and he and others are working hard to keep a traditional archery line alive at Bear Archery in a high tech, 350 fps, parallel limb, profit driven corporate world.  

I wouldn't be happy with the riser you received either, but at least in your case the "bowyer" made an attempt to make it right and will likely make another and another until you are satisfied.  I was told by the "custom" bowyer I had a bad experience with, to live with it or sell it and get back in line for another. No thanks

It's not a Grayling versus Gainesville thing either.  Quite a few bows were returned to Grayling back in the day.  Fred Bear stood behind them then and Bear Archery and Escalade Sports stand behind them today.  Bear bows are mass produced.  That's just the way it is, and the way it has been since Bear Archery started using fiberglass on limbs around 1950.  They aren't Custom bows and haven't been since Nels Grumley stood at a shaving horse in the 1940s.

Even though they are production bows they still aren't cheap and you should get a product you can be proud to own.  Stick with it and I bet you'll get a good one.  Bear will make it right.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
I guess I'm not familiar enough with the takedown system, but why would they exchange it instead of repairing your original riser?
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
expecting quality as advertised product is not "bashing"...  Its holding companies  accountable for basic standards.

Shipping a riser with obvious flaws, even cosmetic, should be a huge NO for any company that wants to stay in business.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Well first off there quality control is suffering lets not forget his first riser had a bad latch why they just wouldn't send him a new latch I don't understand and then to say they would send him a,new 2014 2 tone riser to make him feel ok about sending back his riser that just needed a latch and then to send him  a reject riser like they did. That's not a human error. That's someone trying to pull something and get away with it or its,someone who does not care.
It's like when you order a pizza and you get a burnt one. They knew it was burnt when they put it in the box.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Frustration is a pretty reasonable feeling. I really hope they get this fixed for you. Let us know...
Live and let live.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I've always been a big Bear fan.  My very first recurve when I was 12 was a Bear.  But in today's world of functional art customs I cannot justify paying Bear's new prices/MSRP for their top range bows, simply for a name and 'history'.  There are too many other choices where my dollar will go farther or at least pay for a good chunk on something better.  I wish the company all the best and know that there are many loyal fans who will keep them making bows.  Hopefully issues like this are far and few between.  If not, then they should quit.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
I have five of the new risers now, Diamondwood, Bubinga, Maple, and a total of six sets of the new limbs. I also have one of the 2014 two toned bows on order.  I have owned custom bows by Bighorn, Black Widow, Hummingbird, Robertson,etc., and the new Bears don't give up anything performance wise to any of the customs I have owned.  I did have a problem with the limbs on one of my bows and I couldn't be happier with the way that Bear customer service handled it. They are working hard to uphold the Bear name and product line. I would be disappointed in the riser that you recieved myself, as would anyone. Carry it to Kalamazo with you and they will take care of you.  Let us know how it is resolved.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 05:31:00 AM »
The poster stated it was a latch problem, later corrected himself and said it was a mis-aligned locator pin.    

I guess mistakes do happen.......

I think this topic was covered about a month ago.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
Maybe it's their version of "Pierce Points"?   :eek:  
I too would be upset and I'll be on the phone again and trying to get this resolved...
 Did you contact them again about it?

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
Maybe they could take those "seconds" and spray them factory camo like they used too  :) ))) I would be all over that!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:

Originally posted by jeff w:
What was wrong with the latch?
The locator screw was off a bit and wouldn't allow the lower limb to seat. [/b]
Please come by the G Fred Asbell booth and tell me how they resolved it. That's awful.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I think I would have given Bear a chance to "make things right" before using the "nuclear option" and going on the forums. A year or so ago I bought three sets of very high performance, very expensive, ILF/DAS limbs for hunting from a well known manufacturer. In the following 10 months I had a total of four limb failures as they were replaced. However, I didn't go on the forums with it because the maker made it right every time, and did so quickly. I am all for holding manufacturers accountable but I am also all for giving them the opportunity to clear the issues up in a timely manner.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
The frustration comes from the fact that their replacement/fix was shoddy, and seen as an acceptable fix.  I know of no bowyers or businesses in the archery community that would consider this quality customer service.

I just received this response from Bear, after I expressed my frusration to them:

" those are birth marks where the wood and caused by the wood grains being so tight that they would not except the wood dye......not defective, and usually the birth marks are more rare than the other bows."
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
let us know what they say when u speak with them one on one this weekend.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Looks like someone was in a hurry to go home for the day and threw it in the mail. I'd give them a chance to make it right, and send what they told you they were going to send. Hope you didn't throw the box away...that needs to go back. Good luck.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
Big Jim is a sponsor here and does quite a bit of dealing with Bear.  I know he thinks Bear is on the right track these days, but would like to know his thoughts on this issue.  

Over the past 3 or 4 years I've seen quite a few positive comments regarding Bear products, but it only takes a bad one like this to turn folks off.

I have a couple of the new TD's and the new 59 model...and very happy with them.  My bet is that Bear will make things right.
Lon Scott

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Just a human mistake.  Betting they resolve it.
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Maybe not a popular opinion, but I appreciate posts like this.  It is great when a manufacturer makes right on a problem, but when there are repeated problems or a manufacturer doesn't stand behind the product, prospective customers have a right to know. How else can one make an informed decision?  That should be true regardless of who yhe manufacture is, IMHO.  Then again, I don't make the rules.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:
The frustration comes from the fact that their replacement/fix was shoddy, and seen as an acceptable fix.  I know of no bowyers or businesses in the archery community that would consider this quality customer service.

I just received this response from Bear, after I expressed my frusration to them:

" those are birth marks where the wood and caused by the wood grains being so tight that they would not except the wood dye......not defective, and usually the birth marks are more rare than the other bows."
ARE YOU KIDDING??????
    :eek:      :eek:      :confused:      :confused:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©