3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather Boots and Water Proofness  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather Boots and Water Proofness
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Just as I've gravitated away from fleece and other synthetics and moved towards wool and cotton, I'm finding myself thinking of moving away from Gore-Tex lined boots and going with an all leather boot. One of the makers I'm looking at advertises their double and triple vamp construction as water proof. In their words it isn't 'stand in the middle of a stream water proof', but the boots will most certainly keep your feet dry during a quick creek crossing, walking in wet grass, or slogging through wet slushy snow. I want to believe it, but I'm dubious and cautious about leaving Gore-Tex behind as I have mostly had good luck with it.
Any of you have first hand experience with the water proofness of non Gore-Tex boots?
Thanks.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather Boots and Water Proofness
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
I use sno-seal with good results on leather boots.

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
you need to try the leather sealer from Kennetrek as this stuff wont break down the glue lines ,do your research.i used to use MT pitch blend but gonna try this new stuff.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Looks like you might be considering Russells.  I have a few of those.  Can certainly cross a creek or walk threw dewey fields to a stand without water getting in.  However, a half-day walking in continuously wet conditions and the water will eventually soak through. They dry out.  I've found Ubenhauf's is a good leather treatment/sealer.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Orion, PM sent.
Anyone else care to share thier experiences with non Gore-Tex boots?
Thanks.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
toilet seal wax them, and they are then waterproof
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
I agree with Hummer. The toilet seal wax really works.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
All leather non GT boots are great, they breathe and your feet stay cool. I have not tried to stand in water all day long; but for wet grass, mud, and downpour conditions they are fine. I find the better commercial products all work equally well. I will try the toilet seal wax. As an aside GT will often let in water if the liner gets compromised in any way.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
I'd like to see someone do a performance study on Goretex in boots after 1, 2, and 3 years of wear. I have little faith in its breathability after much wear, but I have no dispute with waterproofness as long as the liner isn't damaged.

I own a pair of triple-vamp Russell HCH boots. I love them, but they're NOT the boot for frequently wet conditions. No boot conditioner will totally exclude all moisture from leather. After several days of wet exposure, the leather gets wet and you'll deal with it. I have treated new Schnee's with the finest leather dressings available. After 6 days in the wet of Alaska bush, the leather absorbed moisture and was clammy. On a 7 degree night, they froze hard...for two of us.

The perfect boot for all conditions doesn't exist. Picking the best boot for your hunts is the real trick.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
I'll stick with my GoreTex thanks. I had a pair of Meindl hikers that I used to run in every morning in Germany. Resoled them 3 times over a 14 year period. When the 3rd set of Vibram soles was worn down, I could still stand in the shallows at our lake and they were dry. With a pair of wool socks on it sure seemed to me they still breathed. The seams got to looking pretty ratty so I gave them a decent burial and bought a new pair from Cabala's.

I wear the uninsulated hikers for everything except cold weather sitting. For that, I have a pair of insulated high top Meindls that keep me toasty warm. Both are water-proof and I never get the sweating I get from rubber boots.

I've always wanted to try a pair of Russles, but wouldn't expect them to be water-proof.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
Nothing beats Rubber for waterproofness. They also come in a variety of insulation weights. Early season I wear a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots uninsulated for early to mid season. I redo them with Mink Oil every now and again. As it gets cooler here I switch to my LaCrosse 1200 rubber boots. If I did purchase a leather pair for winter and cold weather hunting it would be a pair of Schnees. My 2 cents.

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Montana Pitch Blend is the best leather conditioner and waterproofing dressing I have found.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
I agree with Kevin Dill.  I have had great luck with all of my Russells and Schnees.  But no boot is perfect for all conditions.  I use Sno Seal and Montana Pitch Blend.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matt Fowler:
Montana Pitch Blend is the best leather conditioner and waterproofing dressing I have found.
DITTO I also use Huberd's boot Grease.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
i also have no faith in goretex after alot of bad experiences,   and have gone almost totally to quality leather boots or pac style boots, montana pitch blend has always done well for me..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by knobby:
I agree with Hummer. The toilet seal wax really works.
you talking the wax ring for the toilet flange?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
I've had a lot of leather boots over the years, none have ever been water proof like a rubber boot.  I think it's probably unreasonable to expect them to be.

I always buy Red Wings, mainly because they come in extremely wide sizes, but they are also very good quality.  I usually buy the Gore-Tex lining and it works for a while.  The Gore-Tex gives out a lot sooner than the leather boot part, at least in my experience.  The GT usually wears out in the areas that do the most bending, right around the top of the sole at the ball of my foot.

I just accept that the best I can expect from a leather boot is "temporary water resistance", not wading, not standing in water, but walk through a puddle or wet grass to to my stand type of water resistance.  I put up with that weakness for the comfort of leather, I hate the feel of rubber boots after a while, too sweaty.  If I have to wade, I take rubber boots and change into leather at my destination...yeah, it's a pain.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I used a pair of Keen hikers in Colorado this year that were supposedly lined with "Keen-Dry" technology.  Walked in rain and/or wet grass and underbrush pretty much all day everyday of the trip.
Feet were soaked within the first hour of the day.  Got a lot of people pointing me in the direction of Meindl boots thoroughly treated with Obenauf's boot treatment. I have the boots and have them treated,  but haven't put them to the test yet.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
I haven't worn a pair of leather boots deer hunting in nearly 15 years and have no plans on changing.  I have never found a pair of leather boots that kept me 100% dry in all conditions. I'll stick with my LaCrosse uninsulated and Muck insulated for cold days.  

Now for out west I wear a pair of Italiam made Vasque for dry days but go back to rubber if it is raining or snow.
T ZZZZ

Online huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
If you want waterproof boots get rubber- don't rely on leather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©