3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: looking for a mountain bike  (Read 774 times)

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for a mountain bike
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
looking for a Mountain bike and don't want to spend more than 400 bucks, what should I look for in a bike,

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for a mountain bike
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm no expert but I'll bet when you narrow it down, you could find some nice ones on Craigslist...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Do some research......make sure you get one that fits......right frame size and such. Go to a bike shop and ask questions and then buy the best one you can get for the money you want to spend.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I second what Ron said. I found out the hard way.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
I'm with Gator.  Do a little research to determine what you want then hit Craigslist.
T ZZZZ

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
What has already been said.   First figure out what size frame you need.  Then figure out what bikes you like, looks, weight, speeds.  Tons and tons of bikes on Craigslist.   I found a basically mint trek for 450 bucks.   I did some looking around and found out my bike would have been close to nine hundred dollars new.  I was very happy with my purchase.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Been biking for a few years so I have a little experience.  I would look into a Trek.  Good bikes for the money and bike shops will work on them.  The Walmart throw aways are just that.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Wish you were closer I have a like new Trek I would sell you cheap or even trade for trad gear!

Offline Johnnylongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
Howler Listen to Ron W he is on point. As a former pro mnt.bike racer. I have had many. Jon S is right cheap bikes are throwaways .
Spend as much as you can afford . A cheap bike is not fun to ride,It's kinda like riding uphill all the time. It doesn't matter what brand it is for that price range.One that fits is most important.
Craigslist is a good place to look. Winter is a good time to buy,not many people ride in the winter and the bike looks like it takes more space in the winter. If you want to carry stuff,I recommend a rear rack.Much more stable than a basket or front rack. Look for a used bike you should be able to get more for your $$.  
Wow Glasgow Montana is way up in the sticks,Good for you maybe try looking at craigslist or **** in Denver/Ft Collins lots of bikers there. Good luck and Happy trails.   JLB

Offline Johnnylongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
WHY CAN"T YOU WRITE EB@Y ON HERE?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Can't write ebey due to search engines and unwanted hits drawn to this website I'd bet.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
Fleabay is great for deals on bikes if you search diligently.  I got a $950 Specialized hybrid with 300 miles on it for $450.  Buy the best deal used you can.  Also, for new bikes, check out 'Giant' brand bikes.  Excellent value for the money and a new one of their base models would only run you about $500.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
Quality components make a big difference. I would research these so you know the difference when you buy- especially if you buy used.

If you are tall and/or just ride fire roads, look at the 29ers, they are a more comfortable ride unless you are doing intricate technical trails- then the more maneuverable 27" wheel bikes are better.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
I agree with everyone; hit a bike shop, get sized, check out models, find out what features you want, investigate derailleur models and their hierarchy; then look on craigslist every day.

Two more things; define what you want to do with the bike; where you want to ride; that will help in determining what model and features to look for. And if you can find one for $400; get a 29er. I am a big believer in the 29ers. Love my Gary Fishers.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
I have owned a few over the years, and still ride regularly. The above advice is good; lots of great used bikes around for much less money than new. One thing I would add; if you have a choice between disc brakes and the old style pad brakes, go with disc. And, cheap components will be a constant pain in the neck, either breaking or needing constant adjustment.
Don't bother with the Wally world bikes; they will not hold up to any sort of serious riding.
Having said all that, riding a mountain bike off road is one of the best ways to stay in shape; training on hilly, mountainous country will get you ready to chase elk if done often and intensely.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I have ridden road and mountain bikes for years.  I recommend going to a good bike shop and riding a few, but most importantly learning your correct frame size.  Ride some bikes that cost more than you plan on spending.  You might be able to buy them in the used market.  Then check Craigs List.  Take your time and find a good used one.  I also recommend disc brakes and good components, if possible. There are a lot of bikes out there.  Make sure that you ride it before you buy it.  Offer less than asking price.  Good luck.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Howler, tell us what your thinking, how your going to use the bike and in what hunting application.  i mean just driving down a dirt country road to quietly access a stand doesnt necessarily mandate the need for a 700$ entry level specialized rockhopper or trek.  in our minds we might picture mountain biking and think oh man im going to tame the hills and tear it up...but come on, even though the Al Bundy syndrome might be strong in many of us (me included) the sheer fact is that the average middle aged American dude isnt anywhere near the shape to even fully utilize what these bikes are made for.  get what im saying?? whatcha thinking?? just easy driving to a stand?? if thats the case then a 200$ cheapy at wally world will get you there. for just over 400$ i've seen some decent diamondbacks at dick's sporting gds. i spend most summer and early fall on my trek, the bike is capable of more than i can even push it to. and if im taking it hunting im not pushing it, no need to get sweaty and ruin the hunt.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
I just got into mountain bike riding at age 59 last August. I ride with my 34 year old son, and my 10 year old grandson.  We went pretty crazy on the bikes though...Giants with lots of bells and whistles.

I'd go used with that budget and Centaur's recommendations are solid. I like front and rear suspension and hydrallic disc brakes. Maybe you can get an $800-1,000 bike for $400?

Oh, yea I enthusiastically agree with the 29er recommendation. These are pretty new options for Giant.

I did what I did so I wouldn't be upgrading anytime soon.

Offline stickem1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
What Ronw said. Find the frame size that fits and hit the classifieds. I have a Cannondale, but there are other great rides out there.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Two things I would highly reccomend are front shocks and disc brakes.

John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©