3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kuiu, Sitka or Core4Element  (Read 978 times)

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kuiu, Sitka or Core4Element
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I own Kuiu, Sitka, Predator, First Lite and Asbell Wool.  Been using Toray's (material provider to Kuiu) flourocarbon leader for almost two decades.

Generally when I hunt I will have a mish-mash of all different outerwear and base layers.

Living and hunting where I do it is not uncommon to hunt in multi-day terrential rain and I have found none of the above gear able to handle it day in and day out.  The one observation on Kuiu outerwear that was exprerssed to me is that the Guide Jacket does not dry as fast as the Chugach.  In remote regions primative camping that is a seriously important attribute.

Where I work and play I still have only found one garment that will handle multiple day downpours...Grundens.  Swedish rubberized cotton.
Hands down!

62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
I have mostly Sitka and love it. I have several pieces from the light stuff to fanatic and in between. I wear a lot of the core tops, zip and hoodies as outerwear during early season.  

I just bought some KUIU on the 25% discount program offered before Christmas. I like it too although the selection for  different weather is much more limited than Sitka Gear.

I use mine for all my bowhunting, most of which is from tree stands without any problems.

I really like bibs for colder weather and Sitka bibs are the best I've ever found.

I have no experience with the Core4.. items.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Ahh... KUIU. Kuiu's Vias pattern is as versatile as it gets. I killed a whitetail with my longbow at 3 yds from a 12 ft ladder stand. I could say it "looked" right through me. It was a scene from the movie Predator... That deer and many after that hunt had no clue I existed in the woods.

Not to much the quality is industry leading!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Wow Keith... Great to see you in a pic with a crab pot again!!! Thanks for the memories of a lifetime in Larsen's Bay!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
I'll throw a stone in for Core4 element, I've got some of their stuff and it has been very good for me. They're local and cheaper than Sitka and Kuiu. I spent about an hour with the developer of Core4 element the other day having the same conversation as this thread topic. The three companies mentioned above, are all based on the same or very similar designs, the merino wool that the companies use all comes from the same place in New Zealand. I guess it comes down to price, fit and personal preference (camo patterns); because these companies use the same ingredients in their materials.
Shoot Straight

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
First lite is awesome. The merino wool is so nice and the fit is very good. I can go all season and the wool never smells and it regulates body temp so well. Also the asat camo is great all year around.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Just started to wear Sitka gear after years of Goodwill purchased clothing.  I tell ya, humping mountains all day sure makes a fella appreciate lightweight tuff clothing.  I'll pay the money for the quality stuff.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I really think the kuiu is a great product. But as I don't have a sponsorship (free product) and I'm not a lottery winner. I can't justify a house payment for a jacket and pair of pants. I have Sitka pants and I love them. I have core 4 pants and jacket and I love them. For 1/16 th the cost. I have a first lite shirt merino shirt and it's awesome. Bottom line for my $.02 is get what you like and can afford.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Core4 is offered a lot on camofire.com.  Just layer up until it's comfortable.  I'll say this.  I'm from S. Louisiana and spent 4 hours in a Nebraska tree at 19 degrees with two mid weight core4 merino tops, a wind stopper fleece vest and a rain jacket.  That's a good testament IMO.

Good luck.

Had a kuiu neck gaiter and beenie along with a fleece beenie.

Only thing I couldn't keep warm was my hands and tips of toes.  

Pants were windblocker fleece
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Core4 and FirstLite
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Mon Valley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Matty, just curious were did you find core4element for 1/16 the price of kuiu?  I will buy it if thats the deal. I have researching all 3 companies and have found they are all fairy compatible in price. Even if you buy at camofire.

Offline Mon Valley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Matty, just curious were did you find core4element for 1/16 the price of kuiu?  I will buy it if thats the deal. I have researching all 3 companies and have found they are all fairy compatible in price. Even if you buy at camofire.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
I've owned them all, I think. Stuck with the core4 merino base layers, I like the looser fit and have long arms and kuiu merino sleeves were to short. The core4 merino is the smoothest next to the skin out of all of em. But, I heard core4 was sold so that might not be the case anymore.

I have both the sitka ascent pants and kuiu attack pant, attack pant is better quality, period. Its warmer when its cold and cooler when its hot. Tough as nails, unlike the sitka that blew the seat out in a month. They patched the holes and fixed the blown out crotch but I had to pay for it... so much for a warranty.

I have two Sitka kelvin jackets that I bought on sale so I have not bothered with anyone elses primaloft jackets. I also have one of the kelvin vests that I bought on sale. I like this primaloft stuff.  

I have some of the old kuiu chugach raingear and it puts any goretex outfit to shame, in my opinion.  

Good Luck!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing Matty. That's a screaming deal regardless of the brand!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
what is the exterior of the kuiu raingear like.  I have been using helly hanson for a lot of my wet hunts but if you are on a steep hillside you might as well be wearing a set of skis on your rear.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Core4 is offered a lot on camofire.com.  

Pants were windblocker fleece
I've gotten the pants a jacket and a vest all for just over $100

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matty:

Originally posted by awbowman:
Core4 is offered a lot on camofire.com.  
I've gotten the pants a jacket and a vest all for just over $100 [/b]

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
I just put hands and eyes on the Sitka Whitetail (ESW) pants yesterday at a box store. The design is terrific!  

These will be what I open next season with here at home.

Fleece doesn't get along in the weed-seed world I walk through. I even spend lots of times getting those sticktites, beggar ticks, thistle, etc. off plain ole jeans!

Offline Mon Valley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©