3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bob Lees  (Read 1352 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bob Lees
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Anyone shooting one of the "current" day Bob Lees?  I jumped on the website to check out their stock bows and was pretty suprised to see some of them touching the $1600 mark.  This isn't a complaint, I'm actually wondering how they shoot.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bob Lees
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
Wow, I had one a few years ago that I really liked. Killed a few deer with it too! Unless they have really made them much better I wouldn't say they are worth that price. There are other bows that are as good or better for less.
I think Bob Lee has a satisfaction garrantee, you might check and see if you could send it back within a period if it was a let down.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:03:00 AM »
Had one as well that I always regret selling...one of the only recurve grips I liked and thought it was a great utility bow...had me wondering again but thought that price was a bit steep for any bow for MY budget...great bows though

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Wow,    :eek:    they really jumped up in price! I've shot a few over the years. They shot fantastic    :knothead:      :banghead:     Can't understand why they cost so much now!!?? Any one? They used to be affordable for most. That's 500 bucks more than a Widder!!?? They should have a try before you buy before you plunk down that much cash. Like Black Widow has.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
Lees are good bows, as far as the new vs old shooting characteristics,doubt there is any significant difference. They did add a no tool take down option, which I am sure added to the cost.

FWIW I am drawing a line in the sand on bow costs. If you look up and down the line of stick bows, they are all with-in a few feet per second.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
All my bows right now are Bob Lees and awesome but I bought them all used, much more affordable  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Ask more so they seem more valuable, lots of folks do the same thing. Was not more than 10 years ago they were 500 bucks.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I have owned several Bob Lee bows, both recurves and longbows (takedowns), and all have been good stable shooters, but no great arrow speed, a bit noisy and kind of plain Jane looking. They always had fantastic grips. All ran around $500 and that was maybe 5-6 years ago. I see they have added some exotic woods for looks but the new prices are crazy and I can't believe this tactic will help them survive. Plus they dropped all the one-piece bows. What are they thinking?

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
I shot one for the first time yesterday (loaner from a friend).  It is a great bow, and I'm enjoying it.  However, I still prefer my Holm-made River Runner, which is a lot cheaper.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
I had the same sticker shock when I went to their site recently.  I bought a new custom one from them a half dozen years ago for around $500.  The prices seem crazy now compared to other makers, IMHO.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I'd sure like one of their Presentation III bows . . . but not at that price!  Wowzer!

Have to see if my Presentation II has ridden the same wave and gone up in value.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
I have only had one bob lee, and it certainly wasn't top end.  I agree with then others that the grips are fantastic.  Mine was extremely handshocky and difficult to tune.  They certainly have a loyal following, but I am far more happy with other bows that I have.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
I like their bows but couldn't see spending near that much on a bow that will likely get dinged up during general use.

I have a Bob Lee TD Hunter from the 90's that is a sweet shooter (keeping it). Try to find a used one, they seem to go from $300-500 typically depending on woods. Great bow to have in the stable.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
I have 2 Bob Lees, one was made for me in 1994 and my wife's in 1998. Have went all over the country with mine and frankly abused it by many's standards and have NEVER had a failure, complaint or issue. Nothing is the same price as it was in 1998 when I paid $525 for my wife's bow 15 years ago.

Bob Lee is an icon of the sport of traditional archery. I for one thinks that counts for something, including dollars, when you offer a product to the community that you have influenced so much. Having also produced the best performance bow in that contest(can't remember the magazine that did it) and inventing yet again another performance improving feature (Stabi-Lock fastening system) also counts for something in my book and I believe also appropriately translates into dollars.

I shot my brothers Bob Lee Ultimate and it blows my old signature bow out of the water and the poundage is quite a bit lower than mine. Won't stop me from killing animals but it is noticebly better and I guess we all have to make our decisions on what we are willing to pay for. I know this; nicer folk you will not find, which is thankfully typical in the whole trad archery community.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
I recently purchased amazing beautiful Bob Lee Exotic Bicentennial recurve with highly charactered mappa burl veneers.  Every time I go to the range people ask about it and want to try it out.  It is by far the smoothest, most enjoyable custom bow to shoot that I own.  To me, value is getting what you paid for.  I certainly did with this bow.  Isn’t it great that there are such a variety of great bows and bowyers to choose from these days!

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
I would love to have a Presentation III with the tooless takedown. I love long risers with high sight windows. I'm starting a higher paying job in Feb to... very tempting.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
I have a ultimate, one of the 1600.00 bows yall are talking about, I love it and it shoots great, and fast. If you cant afford it don't buy it, but don't turn your nose up just because YOU would not pay that much, I happen to think it's worth every penny, I don't believe anybody should judge what another person does or sees fit to do with his or her own money. Also I do not look down on people because they shoot a 200 bow, whatever can get you in this great sport we call archery is all that matters, to each his own. As far as comparing mine to the older lees I cant because the ultimate is the only one I have ever shot, and as far as customer service my bow is with JJ right now having a new set of limbs made and the riser refinished all for free because the original limbs had some streaks in the glass, I purchased it last January, that's worth the 1600 to me.
John 3:16

Offline Bazooka Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
I had one with three sets of limbs which I sold for $600.  Like the bow but not dealing with Rob
Ricke custome TD recurve
Ricke custom RD longbow
Founding Member Badger Knife Club
Wis. Traditional Archers
Wis Bowhunters Assoc.

Offline GaryS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
here here what Keith said.  I have a P3 and like it so much I ordered an Ultimate with two sets of limbs.  That P3 shoots better than anything I ever owned!  For those who buy the new Bob Lee bows, you will quickly forget the price when you shoot it - it's really that good.
I also have a Signature that I bought in 1996.  And, yes the new ones are much much better in terms of feel, speed, balance, and inovations.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
That's what I was wondering Gary...I don't think there is anything wrong with charging what you want it's ultimately up to me to pay or not.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©