3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bob Lees  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bob Lees
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
I have never owned a Bob Lee. I sure think that Ultimate model, with the different connection for limbs to riser is pretty cool.

If I were to order one it would be one with Phenolic and this connection system.  

However, I don't think the bow would be better than the ones I have and I've suspended my try-out personal program where I pay full price and sell for 75%.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:

However, I don't think the bow would be better than the ones I have and I've suspended my try-out personal program where I pay full price and sell for 75%.
Amen to that!
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline tradarcher4fun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
I have 3 BL bows---2 new and 1 used.  Love them all.  Great grip and very smooth shooters.   The Ultimate looks great but I don't have a need for it.  Rob and JJ are great to work with.  JJ gave me a lot of advice when selecting my Classic Elite.   I'm sure I will be buying another BL bow down the road.  Starting to collect the older Wing bows.
Bob Lee Elite Classic
Stewart Slammers & Reflex/ Deflex
Toelke Pika

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Find a used one,put a skinny string on it. It will shoot with any bow made today.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I'm with Keith, why are you guys knocking something you haven't tried. They have less expensive bows, if that's what your looking for, they also offer a top of the line model. I recently purchased the new Ultimate, I love it. It's a great shooting bow, are their better out there, maybe, but there are plenty not nearly as good. All bow companies offer a "Cadillac"
Model, not everyone can afford one, but those who can sure enjoy them.

Roy
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
I have a Bob Lee atop my list so I visit their site a lot. Keep in mind the 1600 dollar bows are the top end with their new attachment system. Look at the site - they have bows in similar price range as most other bowyers. I am also fairly sure (call and ask to verify) that if you buy a bow - even a custom - and you are not satisfied, their policy is to take it back. VERY HARD to argue with the reputation they've built and from reading here and elsewhere, seems customer service is always tops.
I'd still have the last one I owned if not for too much poundage.
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 01:54:00 AM »
I am fairly new to traditional archery only been shooting for a few years now. Three years ago I stopped by bob Lee's booth at E.T.A.R and talked to J.J and shot some of their bows, I didn't buy a bow that day didn't have the money. Fast forward a few months later I called J.J and told him I wanted a bow. I ended up getting a envy longbow and I ordered the heavyweight which I never shot but jj insured me If I didn't like it I could send it back which I thought ok can't beat that deal. Well lets just say my envy is jealous because I can't put the heavyweight down lol. I think I paid around $2100 for both bows which to me is a lot of money I work hard for my money and when it comes to my hunting tools I use them hard but I take very good care of them. To each his own though some guys have nice trucks and other nice things but I love sweet shooting bows and that's my bob lees. Everybody has an opinion and it's just that there opinion. And I've been saving for my backup heavyweight but with bocote veneers. I know if I have any questions or problems I can call them I consider them my friends.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
If you cant afford it don't buy it, but don't turn your nose up just because YOU would not pay that much, I happen to think it's worth every penny, I don't believe anybody should judge what another person does or sees fit to do with his or her own money. Also I do not look down on people because they shoot a 200 bow, whatever can get you in this great sport we call archery is all that matters, to each his own.
Actually, I disagree with Keith.  I think his post was antagonistic and unwarranted.  I reviewed every post before his and not one person made a comment that judged another person or looked down on them.  All I saw was people expressing their 'personal opinions', which is what a forum is all about.  If people love them and are willing to spend that much, wonderful, but please don't get defensive and snarky if someone else expresses that they believe the prices are too high.  As you said, 'to each his own'.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
You can buy brand new Bob Lee 3 piece take downs for under 1000, that pricing is inline and less then ALOT of the top tier take downs.  

The more expensive bows are presentation/limited run models.

I say this never having owned a Bob Lee.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
I didn't see where anyone was dogging the BL bows either.  I made the comment about the Ultimate looking pretty cool and that's they one I'd get, but I don't think it would out shoot my current bows..".

What I was getting at is I've gone through a bunch of hi-rep bows the past four years. Bought or traded with several folks here.  I'm convinced, at least at my puny draw length, differences among any of the bows I haven't yet tried will be minor.  No matter the bow, the odds of me not liking the bow (any) better than some I've sorted to my top are greater than 50:50.

Again though, on my short list of "try some day" is the Bob Lee Ultimate. I think it appears to be appropriately named and the Lee reputation is right at the top of the heap and worth the chance.

I've just become more cautious about adding another $1,600-2,100 bow to my don't use and don't dare sell pile.

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Bob Lee bows are solid performers-- I just think we were having some sticker shock, is all.

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
This last summer I got a tour of Bob Lee archery.  They make a quality bow.  As far as their price-if one looks at bows from others-Blacktail-Black Widow-Schafer-they are comparable.

but I agree, they are not inexpensive.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Yeah I think there is more praise here than dogging.  The Heavyweight looks sweet to me but is about a grand more than I paid for a "Hunter" model several years ago, which I loved.  I'm just wondering how it compares.  Saying it's expensive is just a fact of the bow, not really an insult.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ulysseys:
Yeah I think there is more praise here than dogging.  The Heavyweight looks sweet to me but is about a grand more than I paid for a "Hunter" model several years ago, which I loved.  I'm just wondering how it compares.  Saying it's expensive is just a fact of the bow, not really an insult.
You did good in your original post to clarify you were not dogging BL Bows. Commendable on your part.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
I have a new Exotic Signature on order with Zebra wood overlays and limbs. I have one other Bob Lee and it shoots like a dream and I have had nothing but good experience dealing with them. I spoke to Rob some years ago at Denton Hill and he seemed to be a good enough guy. Any high quality bow cost good money but you get what you pay for with Bob Lee or at least that has been my experience.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Funny how that works with bows , my favorites seem to be mid range or under price wise.
But also I don't like lots of bling where bows are concerned and rate what I like on how they handle.
With that said , I've never been shy on spending money if I want something. So could care less if others do.

(I shot one for the first time yesterday (loaner from a friend). It is a great bow, and I'm enjoying it. However, I still prefer my Holm-made River Runner, which is a lot cheaper. )
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
They are absolutely beautiful bows with very high performance.  I once heard someone say, there is no such thing as a $1,600. bow; but, there is a $1,600. customer.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
I rarely get buyer or seller remorse.  Mostly get the "dang I should have bought this years ago"  response.  I don't see many if any Bob Lee's bows in my area.  Sure would like to try one someday.  As to the cost, well the seller sets a price, the buyer agrees and pays that's fine with me.  I worked extra and saved for my first blacktail, I received an unexpected windfall and ordered my second blacktail, which I shoot all the time.  Back to work full time for the time being, I'm saving for my next, bow, pack or knife????

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have seen some publicity on the Bob Lee site about the new limb attachment system, and I see as I said that they've added new exotic woods for some bling, but has the performance changed since my $500 Bob Lee Hunters of 6-7 years ago? Has anybody who has owned an older bow gotten into the newer models? Can you compare them for us?

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Huntryx,

Yes. Night and Day. My classic made in 2002, while one of the most forgiving and smoothest bows I've ever owned,, can't hold a candle to my new Ultimate.

I've killed a lot of animals with my classic. It is bombproof. Used to throw it out of my treestand when getting down from a hunt. The thing was my best friend. Until I got the Ultimate...

Now my ultimate goes wherever I go. My old classic just was sent back to Bob Lee for refinishing. The finish was almost completely off the bow I abused it so much. The nestalgia flooded back when I opened that box and saw my old friend looking brand new. But honestly... I haven't even put my classic together since I got it back 4 months ago... Haven't even put it together...

The ultimate is just that... The ultimate...

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=124200#000000

I see a P3 in my future.

Oh... and yes... $1600 is worth every penny. You don't know what you're missing until you try it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©