3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbons for my new pronghorn longbow  (Read 251 times)

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
carbons for my new pronghorn longbow
« on: September 15, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
I have beeen shooting aluminum arrows.  I want to go to carbons.  I have a new pronghorn 3 piece longbow that is 53# and at my draw I am pulling 50#'s. Can you please give me some ideas on carbons you like and what spine I will need.  Also please give me some ideas on aproximate weight I will need up front and what length I should start with while bare shafting.  Would really appreciate some help so I can narrow my search and purchase some carbons.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbons for my new pronghorn longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
Around here there are a lot of Pronghorn shooters.  Those shooting carbon seem to prefer the Carbon Express arrows.. Not sure what spine or model, tapers I think.  I like the Black Hawk Carbonwoods.. A few are shooting the trad model  from Beman.. As far as size I would guess you will need the 4000 in the carbonwoods.. But you will just have to try a few to see for sure.  50 lbs seems to be the breaking point from the lower spine [3000] to the higher. Wish you were closer cause I have a lot of different arrows and spines you could try..
Damn Nice guy

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I shoot the Beman ICS 500 woodgrain cut to 29" with a 100 grain brass insert and 125 grain point from a 54" PH drawn 28.  They work great.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
I shoot Gold Tips. 55-75s full length. I adjust spine with tip weight. 175s.
Prarrie Dog

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Im have 3 Pronghorns all in that weight range they all shoot Gold Tip 55/75 with 100gr inserts, UNCUT Full length and 125 gr heads. work for all the bows

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
If you want a shorter staff, allow me to suggest that you consider the Vapor 2000 or the GT 35/55 with 200-250 grains up front.  I draw 27" and most of the time shoot bows that are 47# at my draw.  Both of these shafts consistently shoot the best at my draw weight/length.  
I strongly recommend that you get a couple of test shafts and bare shaft tune with your preferred point weight...recognizing that high FOC is preferred.  In addition, be sure to tune your bare shaft slightly weak (4"-6").  Since fletchings have a stiffening effect on arrow spine, assuming you tune for a weak shaft, you should be spot on when feathers are applied.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I shoot gold tips 55-75's through my pronghorn. I add 100 gr. of screw on weight to the rear of my inserts. My arrows are cut to 28.5", and I shoot 58lbs.@27". Once I played with the brace height a bit these shafts really fly great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©