3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Budget hiking boots  (Read 725 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Budget hiking boots
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm in need of a pair of hikers to pull double duty as early season hunters and spring/summer backpackers. I liked my last Keen's but ended wearing them to work and they only made it a year. I have been looking at Danner and Vasque but I'm up for suggestions. Less than $200. Don't have to be waterproof.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Budget hiking boots
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Not everybody has the same shape / style foot.  Last I checked, the LL Bean Cresta Hiker was affordable.  That's what I wear in the mountains.

Hope this helps.
homebru

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
The vasque sundowner would be a great choice. I had a pair for many years. My all time favorite boot.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Asolo makes a good boot for the $.  You can find their FSN 95 goretex models occasionally for around $100.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Rob,
I own some Vasque and some Keens. The Vasques are some serious all leather boots made for climbing in rough terrain and do not have the feel that the Keens have. I suspect the Keens might not last in rough conditions but for traipsing around in these eastern woodlands they are perfect. I know Vasque makes some composite boots that might be more flexible than mine but don't know how they would last. My Keens are Gore-Tex and waterproof and if you look for sales can be had for under a 100.00. Just don't take them to Hawaii. I saw a pic of a shredded pair over on that site in a thread about boots.
Member NCBA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
I fell in love with my Keens, and I just buy a designated pair for hunting every other year and use my second pair for work.... as the work boots wear out i rotate them, and buy new hunting boots.... It gives me a back up pair during a rainy hunting trip too....

For years i bought the less expensive High tech boots, but they just don't last as long...

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
How do the Vasque and Asolo fit as far as width? I don't usually wear a wide but I think what I like about the Keens is they fit a little wider. Everyone says Merrell fits a bit narrow.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
I am a Danner man and I am looking a Danner's Jackal II but don't over look Merrell.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
I have a pair of Salomon boots that are fantastic.  Check out there line up and they are very reasonable on price too.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Rob,
I'm wearing a pair of Asolo Fugitives (my first) and I like them.  To me, they run a little narrower than most, but that I like.  They definitely have more ankle support than any hiker I've owned.  I had a pair of the Vasque Sundowners that I also liked but my feet got soaked from morning grass dew.  Sent them back and the replacements did the same.  I know Gortex isn't the end-all waterproofing, but I expect if I pay extra it should repel wet grass.  I haven't really given the Asolo's a good test on that yet.  Good time to buy, with markdowns on last year's inventory.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Rob, I bought a pair of Danners years ago for an Alaska trip and they were the first higher end leather boots I ever bought. No break in, they fit well and wore well right from the start. Did not have Gore Tex and they had a little insulation in them which sounds different from what you are looking for but I was impressed. Nothing to compare them to though.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
I have had a pair goretex  ASOLO hikers for over 10 years......still wear them and they are still water proof......they are almost bald on the soles. Just got a new pair of Salomon hikers that were on sale at Gander Mt. I hope they are as half as good as my old Asolo's.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
If you like Asolos, you can find them significantly discounted at sierratradingpost.com.  Might be a good idea to try some on in a store first -they run a little narrow for me.  Someone mentioned the LL Bean Cresta hikers...great boots and I think they are still made in Italy.  The pair I had lasted about 4 yrs hard use hiking but keep in mind they are backpacking boots and have a very stiff sole.  An all leather boot will last you a lot longer - take a little more time to break in, but they will last.  If you're not sure what you need, buy from an REI store and they have a no hassle 100% return or exchange policy if you want something else after you've worn them awhile.  Good selection there too and typically knowledgeable staff to help with fit.  IMO Vasquez went downhill when they started making them in China (at least the Sundowner model)!

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
...should have added when it comes to "budget"' like with most things now days, you get what you pay for so spending a little more now might save you later on.  Good luck!

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
For the money, vasque sundowners cannot be beat.  I have other boots that I prefer, but they cost far more.  I have not only hunted, but made a living in sundowners for many years.  

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Merrell Moab run a bit wider. I have a 4e width foot and have a hard time finding boots that fit. the Moab in a W width fit me great so I am guessing their regular width may work for you. I got mine for $129 online. I wore them in Colorado last fall with no issues. SO far they have been good boots! Good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I backpacked with the old heavy leather Vasques for years.

I now have a pair of lightweight Vasque Breeze  (wore them today, in fact) that are a great early season hunting boot.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JGoemaat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
I'll chime in with another vote for Asolo. I need a boot that breathes well, and an all leather upper is too hot for my feet. My Asolo breathe well, and dry out twice as fast as my Mendell boots. That has been very important for me on more than one occasion.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
I do like Keens a lot.. However, my right foot/ankle tends to roll over very frequently due to a injury that occurred while I was in the service. Now, I need something with more ankle support? Usually go with a stiffer leather model for hunting. If I am hiking maintained trails, I will go with a lite weight Keen...

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Keens this past Fall to wear as a work boot since I walk mornings and sometimes at noon around a cemetery next to my business. Waterproof and I love them. I plan to buy another pair soon so I can rotate them.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©