3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brighter fletching for better practice???  (Read 950 times)

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
Brighter fletching for better practice???
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
While listening to LB-hnter's podcast on stump shooting benefits, he mentioned the need for bright fletching for practice in order to train your "minds eye" if you will, by better seeing the arrows arc and or flight path.
 It strikes me as a very valid point that I had never before considered. I suppose I was just wondering who all else felt this way and or followed said principle.
 I am an avid turkey hunter, so in my mind I always lean toward subdued colors on everything, so I guess I should fletch up a few bright practice arrows???

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brighter fletching for better practice???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
For practice, 3-D and hunting bright fletching can't hurt. Just keep them covered while hunting. A friend shoot black feathers, black shafts and they dissappear in the air, ground and target.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
You should use a bright fletching for hunting to to make it easier to verify a hit. If you flagged your target with for feathers then you weren't concealed enough to make a shot anyway.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
What BBJ said or you moved at the wrong time.  All I shoot, for everything, is fluorescent yellow feathers and crown dip-easier to see, follow, and find.  Can't recall ever having the bright colors give me away.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
lol You fellas turkey hunt enough outside of a blind with those bright feathers and you will…lol

Point taken completely though, at least for everything but Turkeys. I think I am gonna try dipping and fletching some ( first time).

Do y'all have any color suggestions?

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
You could also try a lighted nock. I would guess you could follow the arrow without dips or bright fletching then.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Depending on how you shoot bright fletch makes a huge difference...dipping your shafts not so much because you can't see the shaft while the arrow is in flight, but they are pretty.  If you shoot without gapping and try to visualize your arrows path to the target, bright fletch really helps you program your mind for this at different distances.

I like white or yellow and never had a problem while hunting...but I've never turkey hunted with a bow either.  Thinking about giving it a try this spring if I get drawn again though!  Killed my first one last year with a 12 ga and had a blast!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Pink!
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
I use orange wraps, nocks, and feathers.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
Lighted nock is wonderful shooting at dusk.

Remember reading in Asbel's first book to choose a fletch color that your eye sees well, he loves red but that does not work for me. I stick with chartreuse or more recently pink and a lighted nock.

I cheat and use a pop up blind for turkeys.
shoot straight shoot often

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
White nocks help a lot, too.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
I agree about bright and all of the advantages, but I did for a while use dark just so I would have no distraction from my spot until the arrow hit.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
If I ain't hunting its bright feathers.  Arrows are expensive and bright feathers cost the same as the others.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Hot Pink, White and Chartruese. I use the Chartruese and white for spring bear, better in low light conditions. Number 1 choice...Team Pink.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I too use bright fletch at all times.  Helps me see where the arrow ends up.  I typically don't see them in flight under 20 yards shooting in well lit spots with light target faces - so when I do see fletch it could be a bad release.  Something I like to know about.  

In the woods is when I really like to see them; registering a hit (or m-m-m-m-miss) or in looking for arrows in the grass and leaf litter after roving.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
I was afraid I would get taken to the woodshed for mentioning lighted noks but they are awesome for visualizing the flight of your arrows.

I have a few Nokturnals that I have shot easily 100 shot each and they still work like new. I won't hunt without them now.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by jrchambers:
I agree about bright and all of the advantages, but I did for a while use dark just so I would have no distraction from my spot until the arrow hit.
Agreed...It seems to me that even considering following the flight path of an arrow takes the shooters focus away from where it ought to be...I like bright nocks and Fletch to see where I hit only after the arrow arrives on target

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by destructive_mechanic:
lol You fellas turkey hunt enough outside of a blind with those bright feathers and you will…lol

Point taken completely though, at least for everything but Turkeys. I think I am gonna try dipping and fletching some ( first time).

Do y'all have any color suggestions?
I'm going on my first turkey hunt with a bow this spring. Can they really see colors? i typically use white fletching, or florescent. But my quiver has an arrow sheath that covers everything except the one on my bow....

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Bright yellow seems to be best for me.  I feel it's important to see the arrow for hunting shots and to "train the brian" during practice.

Kirk, turkeys see colour very well.  I don't use bright fletching for them if I'm not going to be in a blind.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Kirk,

The turkey hunting class I had to take stated  that they can definitely see colors.  I've used hot pink, but only from a blind, didn't seem to spook the birds. I may not be the one to listen to, I haven't killed one yet. I think I need new arrows-they keep missing!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©