3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brighter fletching for better practice???  (Read 952 times)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brighter fletching for better practice???
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Brother Kirk they can see so much better than us, especially movement. Good thing they can't smell worth a hoot or we would have a hard time getting one.
As long as your movement is hidden from those all seeing eyes you will be fine. Good luck.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Originally posted by destructive_mechanic:
lol You fellas turkey hunt enough outside of a blind with those bright feathers and you will…lol

Point taken completely though, at least for everything but Turkeys. I think I am gonna try dipping and fletching some ( first time).

Do y'all have any color suggestions?
I'm going on my first turkey hunt with a bow this spring. Can they really see colors? i typically use white fletching, or florescent. But my quiver has an arrow sheath that covers everything except the one on my bow.... [/b]
My man, hunting a turkey is like hunting a huge skitsophrantic(spelling)  hawk. They can definitely see colors, but my concern with anything not subdued is their amazing ability to see movement under any conditions and through the thickest brush. So any color out of the ordinary, or that doesn't fit, will not only make one wary, but the faintest movement of said peculiar color/ or inappropriate camo will make them take off. It is amazing to see one run through the woods though. They have an amazing ability to run at full speed and keep a tree perfectly between you and it. I've actually chased one after a bad shot for over 400 yards through woods and up and down ridges without ever getting a chance to make another shot, and I hung with it well within shooting range. Always had a tree between me and it. It truly was amazing.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Kirk- there is a guy one here, I think he goes by joebuck, that is an absolute turkey slaying beast with a trad bow, without a blind too. He would be the one to talk to and pick his brain.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Kirk...if turkeys could smell...no one would kill them. Their eyes are phenominal.....Spring Turkey finds me using my Catquiver with no bright feathers at all.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
i hunt and shoot and do just about everything else with green fletching and green/white crests and a green nock...i see them well so its what i use...for camo in the spring i use green tre bark feathers and you guessed it green and white cresting    :p   and have to spook a turkey but have yet to shoot one either.    :rolleyes:   ..although have had several under my stands while deer hunting...     :knothead:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline Lil' Bow Pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
I use pink and blue. Colours that are not natural in the bush. I can see them fly and they are much easyer to find.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
3 flo yellow at practice. 2 white barred 1 brown barred hunting. Thinking of going to bright colors at all times my eyes arnt what they used to be.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Of course, bright feathers help the conscious and subconscious mind see and remember the arrow's path better. I've been using three white shield cut feathers, white crown dip and white nocks for my practice arrows for about 40 years now. For deer and other critter hunting, I change to natural barred feathers. For turkeys, I drop the crown dip as well. My brother uses three chartreuse feathers and a white crown dip for his target and hunting arrows.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Absolutely!  Use fur tracers behind fletching works great too.  Also read Jay Kidwell, Instinctive Archery Insights on this.  You actually accelerate learning trajectory/yardage by this visual cue.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
For me I use a bright colored nock.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
Chartruse, flo. orange, and white are the three colors I use for all arrows, regardless of their intended use. If I use wraps they are either white or chartruse. Nocks are always flo orange or yellow.

I made up a dozen arrows with natural barred fletching, man were they cool! I shot horribly with them! I just couldn't see them in flight and they were nearly impossible to find if you missed. I did a dance when I finally lost the last one! That was over 20 years ago and I never considered doing it again, no matter how cool they look.

I must see the flight for repeatable accuracy, and the bright colors show shot placement well on game.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
I fletched up some fluorescent yellow arrows like I saw some on here had. Thy are pretty cool looking. Now I need to fletch up a couple turkey hunting ones and try to give them a go with a bow.  Thanks for all the good info.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
I too shoot BRIGHT whether hunting or practicing.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Turkey guys - you might consider a little bright rabbit fur (Zonker strip for fly tying) attached post feathers - reallys lights up the arrow as it flies and doesn't have as much to notice as a dip and brightly feathered shaft.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »

In flight   :goldtooth:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
I have come to like bright or flourescent pink fletch the best.  To me it is the most visible in the widest array of light conditions.  You will notice many of the other common colors can become harder to see depending on the time of day/ lighting.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
I shoot all white feathers and white nocks on all of my arrows.  Even the stuff from the compound.
I just take a black markers and draw a line down the side of the nock to quickly reference cock feather
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
like wheels I shoot white nocks dipped white shaffs and white barred feathers.  I can see white in flight better than any color.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Absolutely.  Athletic training FACT: Visual feedback! It trains your eye to see trajectory- which in turn gives your brain distance calculation/accuracy.  Use feather tracers behind the fletch for even more visual cue.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Definitely helps me..I like bright orange and yellow fletching

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©