3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Bows; One Arrow?  (Read 429 times)

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Bows; One Arrow?
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
I'm wanting to stay with aluminum for now. As I've posted before I have 2 Grizzly's, one 45# the other 50#. I draw 29" and use a 30" arrow. I'm just wondering what everyone though about using 1 arrow for both, at least for the moment or should I just go with 2 different ones. I'm thinking about 2016's with 125gr points for the 45# and switching to 100gr points for the 50#. This would give me about 485gr for the 45# bow but only around 460gr for the 50# bow. Do I have a shot at making these fly well with both bows, is that too light for the 50# bow in a hunting situation; what do those with long experience think?
SWA Spyder

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Bows; One Arrow?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Sounds good if it tunes that way for both that is still 9.2 grains per pound for the 50lber should work fine.    Widow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
Another option is to tune your arrow to the 45 lb bow and then build the side plate out on the 50 lb to tune to the same arrow.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
My guess is you'll be able to shoot the same arrow and point out of both bows.  The 2016s are a good choice.  I'd go with the 125 grain point.  Try it.  I think you'll be surprised.  

If not, you can always do what Fletcher says.  It won't require much of a build out, if any, on the heavier bow.  Good luck.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
Yes... it can be done... but  your trajectory is going to be off a lot between the two bows.  shooting lighter weight arrows through the heavier bow is going to give you a flatter trajectory. Every time you switch to the lower weight you'll be shooting low.

You'd be much better off tuning arrows for each bow and get the weight established where they shoot the same speed... That way you can switch back and forth and have the same arrow flight, and sight picture.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I've found 1918 and 1916 to be good choices for bows in that range. 1918 seems to be a close equivalent to 2016.  I always tend towards a smaller diameter/thicker walled shaft when I can.   I agree with Kirk, and would be attempting to use the heavier point on the heavier bow.  

I'll bet you can adjust your arrow plate and rug to get them shooting the same with both bows. Also, turning cock feather in will let you nock about 1/8" (or more) lower on the string. Shoot them cock in on the lighter weight bow and cock out of the heavier.
Tom

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I use 1918s for bows of different weights. I use 160 heads with on glue adopters for the stiffer bow and use the same heads but with the screw-in adopters for the lighter slightly slower bow. This gives the weight bump and the spine adjustment to make them both shoot the same. My point on is as close as I can tell the same.  For target points I use screw-in 200 grains for the lighter spine required and 175 screw-in for the stiffer arrow.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
If you were sure of what you wanted to do, I would say go with arrows that are matched for each bow.  All arrows are going to get broken or lost eventually, and it won't cost any more in the long run to have a dozen arrows for each bow than it would to have a dozen arrows for both bows.  To my way of thinking, I would rather have separate arrows for each bow that make the trajectories of each bow close to the same, than I would arrows that would work out of either bow with different trajectories.

However, I'm guessing from your question that you're still working out your shooting form and are not really sure of what you want out of an arrow yet.  If that is true, then just get yourself a dozen 2016's and shoot them out of both bows with 125 grain points.  They will be close enough and by the time they are lost or bent you'll probably have a better idea of what you want for each bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, you are exactly right McDave.
SWA Spyder

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by oldbohntr:
 Also, turning cock feather in will let you nock about 1/8" (or more) lower on the string. Shoot them cock in on the lighter weight bow and cock out of the heavier.
This is the first time I've heard of this.  Can you explain further?

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
Again McDave nailed it.  And by the way, what you are asking about is exactly what I have done with 2016s.  They fly well with 125s out of my 45# and 50# recurves.  Not too bad out of the 50# long bow either.  In fact, if my form is good, I can get tight groups at 20 yards with the same arrows in any of the three bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©