3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scapula Penetration Test  (Read 249 times)

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
Scapula Penetration Test
« on: September 15, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
While doing some last minute scouting of my hunting grounds yesterday, I stumbled upon the skeleton of a whitetail buck.  It's antlers were missing, so I suspect it succombed to last winter's cold.  I brought the scapula home and scheduled an unofficial penetration test for early this morning.        :)      

I mounted the scapula flush against my 3-D target, and grabbed my favorite osage bow and a fist full of ash arrows, tipped with 190 Grain Grizzly's.

I took my shots from 10 yds.  My unwitting assistant took the punishment well.         ;)        

The test produced at least 3" of penetration, to the back of the broadheads.  Undoubtedly, the 3-D foam impeded that to a healthy extent.  The third arrow went in the best, due in part to damage caused by the first two hits.

The Grizzly heads survived, unscathed.  I'll resharpen them and stick them in my quiver for this season's hunts.  I couldn't pull the broadheads back out of the bone, so I had to break the shoulder off to remove them.

Next, I wanted to see what a direct hit on the ridge would do.  (I moved up to 5 yds for that one.) To my surprise, it split the ridge.  But again, previous damage played an obvious role.  I doubt that would be the case with a fresh shoulder bone in good condition.

What does all of this demonstrate?  Well, admittedly not much.  I fully appreciate that bone brittled over half a year's worth of weathering on the ground is not as strong as living, healthy bone.  But it reaffirms my faith in the toughness of Grizzly's and does give me some degree of confidence that if I do hit the flat part of a whitetails scapula, I might get enough penetration to bring the critter down.         :archer:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scapula Penetration Test
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Add to that, it's kinda fun to do!   :thumbsup:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Ash arrows are a good choice for a penetration test. As someone wrote long ago, they're  "hevy to geve a good strype".
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Not to take away from your "test" (or the tons of fun while performing it) but what makes a scapula so diffacult to penetrate is that is "uncased" in muscle, there-fore being surrounded by a giant "shock-absorber".

Basicly.....Your arrow hits the deer and your broadhead cuts through skin and muscle untill it hits the scapula.....then as the broadhead is penetrating the scapula,the force of the arrow is pushing the scapula against the muscle behind it,there-by absorbing alot of the arrows "force".

To get a better idea what I'm talking about next time you find a scapula mount it to an old foam couch cushion (or pillow) you will see what I mean.....

Any way.....COOL PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing My Friend!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
No doubt, the "test" was fun.  I may go back and scratch in the leaves to find the other scapula and try some other heads.  The skeleton only lays about 250 yds from my back door!

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Excellent points there woodchucker. I hit a deer in the scapula and got in right in the spine of the scapula with a snuffer. Few days later the buck was eating in front of me with just some Neosporin and a little bandaide on the shoulder.

Leg
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:08:00 AM »
I did a similar test with a day old bull elk scapula set loosly against a clay bank. Used my PSA V Widow at 56 lbs and Axis 340's with the 160 gr Grizzlys and 100 gr steel broadhead adapters for a total arrow weight of 595 gr. The arrows penetrated the scapula easily and went a foot or more into the clay bank.Grizzlys were in great shape after the shooting. I believe Woodchucker is absolutly right in his assement but I'm also confident that this combination will get the job done if I ever accidentally hit an elk in the scapula.   P.S. These kind of evaluations and assessments are what I really enjoy about this sight, keep up the good work.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Good stuff...Next time you find one and get the chance, try is at a quartering angle or elevated like in a tree stand instead of square/90 degree text book. I have no doubt we tend to take angled shots we shouldn't. Angled shots into bone, even tiny ribs deflect our arrows much more then most would think and limits penetration even worse then "square" shots do....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©