3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you find lost points in target?  (Read 323 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you find lost points in target?
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
We have all done   :knothead:    ~~>
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you find lost points in target?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Had  to deal with this back when I first started shooting GT trad with hot melt.  Lost a few before I started to really rough up the inside of the shaft.  I was luck to see the hole a time or two so I pushed in the shaft to get  back on the point and push it out the back.  Others just had to stay in.  Not a problem unless you are shooting broadheads in the target.  I ended up shooting that target up with only field points and shot a diffrent target for broadheads.  I did lose one broadhead once and had to cut it out.  That could have done more damage to future arrows or someone who didn't know it was there as the target deteriorated.

No problems with this now for a long time.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline pghrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
No easy way short of tearing the target apart. We shoot broadheads at a broadhead only bail so everyone knows that the presence of broadheads are indeed possible.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Can't say as I have ever had one come out in a target. Had a few stuck in wood or a possum, that I had to dig out!
Never wait too long!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Pretty much what has been said.
Learned many winters ago that arrow points create heat as the enter frozen bales etc. Then freeze and can be tough getting them back out.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
I'd share my method but it got me kicked out of a local club.  The carbon crowd didn't like my surgery methods and, furthermore, thought I was abusing the 3-D targets by "practicing" on them between formal events.

I will say it was much like the method I use to retrieve points from stumps.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
I shoot wood and it has happened a time or two. I don't think I have hit a point that was already in there. So I don't worry about it. Broadheads would be a different story and might require more radical methods.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I'll try to probe the spot to find out how deep it is then get a pair of needle nosed pliers to try and pull it.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
I let the compounders find it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I let the compounders find it.
LOL.....  :D

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
I shoot at soy bean seed crate bags, stuffed with plastic from silage piles. It is tougher and larger than any fiber target out there and all free. I had a deal a few years back when that softer hot melt glue came out with my wood arrows. I got all of my points back by, once a year, pulling all of the plastic out on my nieghbors large driveway, when they gone, stretching it all out and then stuffing a new bag. What remained on his drive way were all of the target points that got caught on tough spots and broadheads from shots that missed the deer target. I have since gone to Stanley amber hot melt and no longer have any points come off.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
Also, it is a good idea to use acetone to clean the inside of the point before attaching it to the shaft. Lubricants used during the manufacture of the point can cause hot melt to fail if not cleaned.

Mostly, I don't retrieve those points lost in targets. It seems I do more damage retrieving them than I suffer by hitting one that is imbedded in the target.
Sam

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
I shoot at one club each winter that forbids shooting wood arrows because so many points came off and caused problems. I've lost points in my backyard buck target and when I replaced the insert I tried to find them but gave up. Too tedious and not worth my time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
I just leave them in the target until it is shot up....then if a 3D and falling apart I take apart the insert and remove them....if a layered block target I leave them until it is all shot up and cut straps to release layers...fish out points.  That being said....I have targets that are years old...

I just dont worry about them to be honest...get another point...do a better job of cleaning machine oils out of inside with sandpaper and acetone/heat...get good glue bond and shoot again.

some things are really not worth fretting over in big scheme of things...  just my 2 cents.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©