3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Odd question about career choice  (Read 1004 times)

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Odd question about career choice
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Drain surgeon.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
35 years in the Natural Gas industry. Started out in the ditch at 24 years old. Passed the welders test quickly and welded pipeline for 14 years, then supervised operations for 8 years. Now in engineering. I've had a ball wearin' all those different caps. All that aside this level of success would not have been the same or even possible without my wife with me all these years. Not saying you need to get married but 2 incomes are better than one these days.
Member NCBA

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I am surprised no one said sales, I was a chef for almost 20 years making very little money.  I am now in sales and make very good money.  I work as much or as little as I want and my pay checks show that.  Even at my busiest times I can still find time to hunt and I am not tied down by a schedule or by a set amount of money that I can make per hour.  The freedom of setting my own hours and paycheck  is very liberating.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by glenbo:
Drain surgeon.
.     :biglaugh:  that's awesome. Never heard that one.
I'm a personal trainer  
Not rich never will be unless I hit the lottery.
My secret to buying bows...
Don't have kids. I can't afford kids. But I can afford a bow every year

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Internal Auditor (Accounting/Fraud Risk Management) for County government, and Spanish pastor at a great church.  Don't make as much money as a lot of others do.

Don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or spend money on cable TV.  Wife is a stay-at-home mom, doesn't bring in any money to speak of.  But we have always put God first, tithing on income and trying to be wise spenders.  My BW bows were expensive, but God gave me one, and gave me the funds for the other.

I think that if a guy were to spend a load of money on a fantastic bow, and only do it ONCE, he'd save a lot of money.  I did.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline JApple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Gentle-Savage,

you don't have to be rich to enjoy traditional archery. I am a surgeon, but I didn't get into Trad until several years ago.  You can find a good used bow that is very affordable and then I would recommend you learn how to make your own wood arrows. I only own three bows, one for me and my son, and my first bow which I will eventually pass on to my son.  Save your money, and find a job you enjoy and love, happiness is much more important and energizing than a big paycheck.  Don't think about having five bow, but finding that one sweet one that fits you like a glove.  Good luck in your endeavors...

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Retired from one job, started another 4 years ago.  I have bought three brand new bows in 24 years, the rest have all been previously owned. My favorite is one of the used bows.

Very good advice has been offered to you in the previous posts.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Man I'm humbled by the responses here but shouldn't be. Just responses from good old fashioned honest hard working folks here.

Lots of great advice here as well. Just a dumb ol electrician here. It's kept butter on my biscuits and funded some incredible hunting. There will
ALWAYS be a demand for GOOD electricians.  Actually it's opened a lot of doors hunting wise. Do a little electrical work for a farmer and you quickly become best buds!

I've only owned two custom made bows in my life. Been doing this trad thing way before it was called that. I presently have neither but use my own homemade glass bows that I've been using for the last 15 years and will put them up against any bow on the market! But yes I have about 10 of my own bows on the rack in my man cave garage! lol

With all that said I designed and hand built my own house and put two daughters through college and am basically debt free. Like I always told my twin daughters I hope you find your dream job but IF NOT atleast get educated and or trained to do a job that lets you afford to do your dream things!

I've lived my life by two sayings:

That man is richest who's pleasures are the cheapest.( Picture a man in a canoe vs a $30 thousand bass boat)

And the second is my tag line below!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
And a wise fortune cookie once said: "Happiness is not to have all that you want but to want all that you have."
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
Maintenance Tech and retired military plus I pay cash for cheap good running beater cars and other things so I don't have a lot of bills. I brown bag it at work instead of eating out etc etc etc and I do like one of the other guys said and buy used bows cheap lol! Now the wife on the other hand gets the new bows! Harder to find what we want for her used, bows in my range are a dime a dozen!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Two kids in college and I can hunt out of state? We live in a wonderful country!   :archer2:

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
thanks for the advice gentleman  :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
I worked for 38 years as a toolmaker for a large company. I'm now retired with a pension. I started with old Bear and Browning bows and most of the bows I have now I bought used or traded up to get. I have been very fortunate to have made some great trades and now have a good selection of very nice bows. I also have made a few self bows. I have purchased a few customs new, but only because there was something special I wanted. Used stuff works just fine for 1/3-1/2 the cash.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
As long as there is electricity, we will need Engineers.....Electrical Engineers [EE] are in high demand, with excellent pay!

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
I went straight from high school in 1972 to working in the oilfield. It always provided me with a pretty good paying job. But like has been said try to live as debt free as you can no matter what you choose as a career and you will be alright.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
I tell guys that I work with sometimes it just as important what you have going out as much as what what you have coming in. I work an occaisional side job but I don't drink,(single malt doesn't count) smoke and I carry my lunch to work everyday. All our vehicles are paid for, except the tractor. I am in construction sales.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
I started out as a "Turd Herder" (nother name for plumber)   :rolleyes:   then worked for a major tool company an back as a "T.H" Again for several more years...
 Now I'm a maintenance man and still a part time T.H.  that take's care of turning over 93 apartments and do daily work orders as need be...
Like many have said and wished I took that advise years ago "pay cash" and stay away from dept...
 I have had several nice bows custom made but find that here lately the older bows from  the 60's and 70's really are just as good and have much life left in them...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©