3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Java Man bows, thoughts and info.  (Read 1798 times)

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
Java Man bows, thoughts and info.
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Hello all,

Was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Java Man bows?  I would like to get one built and would love to hear about people's opinions on them, also if anyone had any pictures of the "helms deep" model and could share that would be great.
"Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved."- Michel de Montaigne

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Java Man bows, thoughts and info.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Gregg "Java Man" Coffey, does some of the finest work out there. His specialty is short bows with long & smoooooth draws. They are also on the speedy side.

I have 2 Shrew bows that Gregg built and they are great and one of his Falcons are way up on my want list.

Gregg and his bows get 5 stars from me *****.

Eric

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Shot one at K'zoo, not my taste, but if you like a light and fast longbow, his are right up your alley.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Saw his bows at Kzoo this past weekend.  I did not take any pictures but spent several hours shooting many different bows there.  Of all the bows I shot the number one bow to me was a 54" all Bocote Elkheart - 50 lbs @ 28.  The grip just melted into my hand and I could not believe how smooth the draw was.  My DL is not that long (26 3/4) but the draw on that thing was way smoother than any other bow I tried that day.  The cast was great and it hit right where I looked and absolutely no hand shock.  If I would have stayed one more minute, I would have plunked down the cash right there!  I had to force myself to leave early.  Even so, I am saving my pennies right now to order one later this year.  Gregg is a great person to talk to as well.  Never met him before but was talking with me like we knew each other for years.  You won't be disappointed if deal with him.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I traded for a JavaMan Assyrian recurve and it is a super shooter. I love the grip, small easy to settle in. The static limbs have a great solid feel to them when you draw, very even build to anchor. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another one. Craftsmanship is solid as good as the best out there, but for me the bow is a great thumper and not a loud bow at all. Smooth, quiet and very efficient.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
I have a 36# @ 28" 56" Inferno.  It's a really nice little bow that really shoots an arrow.  Extremely fast for the light draw weight. I use it quite a bit for squirrel hunting.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Gregg is a great bowyer for sure.I have one of his 56 in classic hunters that he built and it is a joy to shoot. For me the 54 inch Elkhart bow is now my favorite, they  are both stable consistent shooting bows. I would not hesitate on ordering a bow from him...good stuff. Tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Gregg builds a great bow! I have a super shrew and one of his Javaman Infernos. Both great shooters, but there is just something about that Inferno. I love the way it feels in my hand, and it provides a great shooting experience. You can't go wrong with a Javaman.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
I have a tanjavur longbow 56" , smoothest drawing and shooting bow I've owned. Really thought about buying that Infero w red glass at kzoo, but am waiting on a t/d longbow right now, I have shot quite a few different bows. Still own a Great Northern recurve, haven't shot my curve in 5 years, ever since I got the tanjavur. Others comments are spot on ! just quality work and a grip you have to shoot to understand. Great bows, Todd

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Gregg's bow are the best to me, I've had Robertson's, Morrison's, Dryad's and Pronghorn's and my "go to" bow is the Shrew built by Gregg. The only bow that I have ordered new is a bow from Gregg and it has been a pleasure to deal with him. Unfortunately the bow did break after two years, but Gregg told me that I only had to pay for the bowbolt and the shipping and I had a new bow made to my order in two weeks, if that isn't a man that stand behind his products and takes care of his customers, then I don't know what it is.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Ive had several of Gregs bows( shrews ) over the years and his work keeps getting better and better . The last few years he made the Shrew was as fine of a bow as ive seen .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
The Helms Deep is the same bow that Gregg built for Ron LaClair as the Lil Favorite. The bow is Gregg's design and it's one sweet shooter. I was never a Shrew fan until I got my hands on a Bowbolt 56" Lil Favorite, 50@30. With my 30" draw it's become one of my "go to bows". With about 50 great bows from the top makers in my "bow pile" this is the bow I've been grabbing lately. The grip melts into your hand and Gregg is one of the nicest fellows you'll ever meet. I have several of Gregg's bows and they're all shooters. Thumbs up for the Helms Deep.

:thumbsup:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeffroa2001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the info and pics, a lot of positive feedback and I am really looking forward to getting one.  Again, I really appreciate it. Jeff
"Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved."- Michel de Montaigne

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Gregg "Java Man" Coffee

Eric
Just for accuracy, Gregg's last name is Coffey. Gregg is an exceptional bowyer. IMHO

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Gregg makes excellent bows.  My long draw has made it hard for me to walk up to his booth and pick up one that fits my tastes, but someday I'd like to be a customer of his.  He builds beautiful bow, has a stellar reputation, and is a really nice guy to boot.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
I'd buy a bow from Gregg.  Great guy and great product.  Chad

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »
Gregg is top shelf all the way. I owned an Assyrian static tip recurve he made for me that is pictured on his website, on the ground against the leaves. Beautiful cocobolo riser. Phenomenal craftsman!  

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:00 AM »
Great bows !!!    :thumbsup:    Even better person   :notworthy:  

Bill

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
Never heard a negative word about him or his bows...always positive. Says a lot.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 07:00:00 AM »
Greg is a great guy and Bowyer. You can't go wrong with one of his bows
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement