3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Custom Flemish String Building Video  (Read 686 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Custom Flemish String Building Video
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
Aloha brudda! Howzit? Is your cyst back under control? I'm needing some strings if you're back to twisting again and have time outside of the class and chasing pigs all over the islands.

If you guys have not had the pleasure of shooting one of Ryan's strings, they are without a doubt the best I've used. Not only is the attention to detail perfect, he will build them exactly how you want them. Truly a custom string.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
Great video Ryan! I do a few small things different than you, but you explained everything perfectly!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
Very informative Video Ryan! Your strings must be outstanding for all the time and precision in the process of building.   :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Thank you Ryan!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Mahalo Gang! I really appreciate all the kind words.

Bisch, give me a buzz anytime if you've got questions.  

:shaka:  

What's up bruddah JC!!!  I still have that nagging ganglion in my hand and I've been crazy busy as I've been working with a new hunting apparel company.

I may be able to build a few, but it would have to be on my next break.  Keep in touch!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to make the video and sharing with us. Your video is very easy to follow... I will make the plunge and start trying to make some strings for myself.
Thanks Again,
Ben

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
That's awesome!  You're welcome Ben!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Ryan,

I am sporting a new string on my longbow that I made without a jig. My ole buddy Rod sent me some string a while back when I said that I was interested in making my own strings. After watching your video it was on. The first one was a little short but I nailed the second one. I will be making a jig this weekend:)

Thanks again, I can see were this string making could get addictive... I am about to watch your video again  :)

Thanks,
Ben

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Too cool Ben!!!

Stoked that you're having fun with this!!!

You should see the "testing" I've done for fun over the years.  I always wanted to know where the "weak" or "slip" point was in a flemish string.  I always figured that it would just pull apart at the twists if enough pressure was applied, so I hooked up one side to a cement pillar, then the other to my truck. Surprisingly, every string that I broke, actually broke and didn't slip…  I should've filmed that.  LOL!

Next you'll be experimenting with strand count, material type, serving size, etc….

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Great video Ryan!

I've been making strings on a jig for a long time using instructions I print off the Internet. I picked up several tips that will help me out.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain every step in your video.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
Thanks Mick!

Mahalo for taking the time to comment.  I'm glad that you were able to pick up a tip or two…

Aloha from Hawaii!   :shaka:

Ryan

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:00 AM »
Ryan, another thank you for taking the time to post this video along with all the other videos you've made.  Like a few others, who've posted above, I've been inspired to give it a try.  

I ordered a jig, some string, wax and serving and a serving tool.  I think I'll build a string stretcher like the one you've made yourself, too.

I'm looking forward to starting to make some strings!  The twisting of the individual bundles, and the alternate direction of twisting the two bundles together is exactly how I learned to make primitive twine or string from the fibers of the yucca plant leaves (staves).  Haha... I wonder how the breaking strength of a yucca flemish string would compare to B-50 or Fast Flight!

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to make and post these great instruction videos!

Anthony

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
That's cool Anthony!  Thank you for viewing the videos.  
Building primitive twine sounds fun!  Do you hunt with primitive gear too?  I've built a few guava selfbows in the past and that was a blast!
Comments like yours as well as well as the ones from others makes spending all this time on videos well worth it!    :thumbsup:  
Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
Ryan, no, not yet, although I do think I may try my hand at making a self bow someday, maybe.  For now I have a Toelke Whip (longbow) that I am looking forward to taking my first deer with (and maybe a pig too)... hopefully this year.

I have only taken deer with a rifle in the past, but those days are behind me, and I am now only interested in hunting with a bow moving forward.  Trad archery has captured my heart!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
Hey brother, It took me 4 tries over the course of the week to find the time to watch the whole vid, been a little crazy around here!!!

Most excellent!!!!!   :notworthy:

As you know I build my own, but have area's I know I can improve.....this will without a doubt help    :shaka:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Thank you brother, I'm glad you like it!

Best of luck with the trad endeavor Anthony!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©