3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEVER HEARD OF GENE AND BARRY WENSEL??!!  (Read 1352 times)

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
NEVER HEARD OF GENE AND BARRY WENSEL??!!
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I guess that I take it for granted that I've been at this game for a while.  I had to bring a patrol car into the shop for a quick repair.  The owner's son was there, he's in his mid 20's and a wheel bow shooter. He's a pretty quiet guy and is turning into a pretty good hunter.  We started talking about how and why I shoot a recurve. His uncle's ears perked up.  He joined in the conversation. Now, he's probably in his mid 40's however, he seems to have gotten into hunting later in life. He was genuinely interested in hearing about the stick and string.  He was rambling off names of guys on the Outdoor channel who he is impressed by.  Well, I asked him if he had ever heard of Gene and Barry.  Well, I wasn't really that surprised that he said no.

I whipped out my IPhone and  scrolled through some photos on line and other things with the Wensels, and showed him some of pictures that I have of me and some friends that shoot traditional.

I explained to him that you don't need all the stuff advertised on TV to kill deer, and that these guys have really honed their woodsman skill to where they can get CLOSE to big bucks.

I actually think that I opened his eyes a little.  He had a lot of questions about the recurve, and  said that he'd like to try that some day. Later on that day I dropped off a 3Rivers and Black Widow Catalogue. I also told him that if he's serious about it, I'd help him out esp with not breaking the bank. We shall see!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEVER HEARD OF GENE AND BARRY WENSEL??!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Spreadn' the addiction. Ain't that what it's about?

:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Nice job passing on the traditional info. I will never forget the first time I watched Barry W on October Whitetails. Man I got hooked!!! Good stuff.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I went to the Annual Meeting of a local Trad Bow group. Very poor turnout on a good weather day for driving (it was January). The basic very dry business meeting and not much else.
I told the President of my experience with a Woodlot Owner group where we started making the AGM's a day long affair with guest speakers and now had very good attendance.
"Maybe bring one of the Wensels in as a guest and see if numbers don't pick up." says I.

"Who are the Wensels ?" says He.

I'm not often speechless, but this time stands out. From a Trad guy, no less...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
I figure that I'll lend these guys my copy of October Whitetails I&II, and maybe a few Langer DVDs.  Then if they seem really interested, my Spirit of the Bow DVD and my PBS magazine with Genes article "When Hunting Became Shooting" in it.

Yikes Tom!!! I expected this guy not to know because he was a bit of a Johnny Come Lately...but your guy, wow!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
I figure that I'll lend these guys my copy of October Whitetails I&II, and maybe a few Langer DVDs.  Then if they seem really interested, my Spirit of the Bow DVD and my PBS magazine with Genes article "When Hunting Became Shooting" in it.

great idea and Genes PBS article would be a great read for him...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Doesn't surprise me that they had never heard of them. I come in contact with all kinds of "hunters" who never heard of them or saw any of their videos. Many people do not venture to far from what they know or do. Even before I committed my self to trad bow I watched and read every thing they put out. They have been a true benefit to our pastime.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Yup Ron, I explained who they were and that they were the real deal.  I also showed them pics of Herdbulls bucks and his moose, some pics of Manitoba Stick Flinger, StevO, My buddies Kent Zocher, Kaz, and a few others.  They seemed impressed. I also explained all the other "hunting" fun you can have with a stick bow that you can't with a machine.....AND.......I Did it with out getting up on a soap box!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
So sad. But a lot of hunters only see the garbage on tv !  The wensels   Come on !   Had gene sign my hunting rutting white tails book three times. It's so beat up he asked me if a kept  it in my underware !
Dan Breen

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Since they got out of the Grizzly Artificial Insemination Program they kind of dropped out of the public spotlight.

:dunno:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Off the soap box is always good!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Since they got out of the Grizzly Artificial Insemination Program they kind of dropped out of the public spotlight.

:laughing:

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
OMG Charlie! You're about as funny as a screen door on a submarine! Should have meet up with you years ago.....   :thumbsup:  

See all you fellas at The Bunny Hunt!

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Hey Sean! How's about the way Uncle Barry eats water mellon? ...  :eek:  ...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
Way to spread the word Sean!
Awhile back Compton donated some traditional archery gear to our Boy Scout troop. After getting together to shoot informally a couple of times, three of the boys asked for and received bows for Christmas and two of the parents have bought trad bows for themselves,too!

Tom, please tell me the guy's heard of Fred Bear!?

It's sad to me when people don't take the time to educate themselves on a topic that interests them. I've heard some major league baseball players have no idea about the baseball heroes of the past. Mickey Mantle? Ty Cobb?
Not just in sports either.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Hey Mikey, They are originally from the Bronx before they moved up here, isn't that they way you guys eat'em down there any how??!!

Jim, good for you.  I was afraid to as about Fred Bear, I didn't think my heart could take it!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
That's the way to do it Sean!  Good job!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Don't be suprised. Many of the high-tech crowd have no idea who M.R. James is.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
They are, in my view, very famous... but only in the trad world....
I've had the opportunity to be in deer camp with them three times and it was an absolute hoot.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I knew of them before I got into trad which was in '90.  Heard Gene speak at an Outdoor Expo here in NY.  I was looking forward to sharing a bear camp with Barry at BQ 6, but he had his episode a few months before and didn't want to risk it. I watched October Whitetails 1 and 2, and Highnoon Bucks when the first came out.  They don't make'em like that any more!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©