3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maine bear hunting under attack  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Maine bear hunting under attack
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Just got word that some forms of bear  hunting in Maine are being put on a referendum. If passed bear baiting, use of hounds and trapping will be prohibited. I am attaching a link  that summarizes the issue and includes information about how you can get involved by making donations or if you live nearby how you can do some support work. My experience with Maine leads me to ask you to support the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine (SAM). Contact info is in the link. If this bill is successful this could be the last season that you will be able to  hunt bear over bait in Maine.

http://firstforhunters.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/attack-continues-in-maine-against-bear-hunting/
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maine bear hunting under attack
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
Good luck Maine hunters...

Everything else is being attacked everywhere else, so fighting for what is right is going to be the norm from here on out.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Bonebuster….It's not just about Maine bowhuters. 87% of bears taken in Maine are taken by non residents. It's a hunting issue as well as an economic one for those that make a living guiding as well as the motels, stores and gas stations that benefit from all the "tourists" that come to hunt. We are not talking about one guide service going out of business….it's a whole State!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
This is a scary one.  If you have ever or planned on hunting bears in Maine, you really need to throw your support that way.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
You're right on spot Bill!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Such short sighted people pushing these types of campaigns.  If they were to get their way, it wouldn't be but a few years and the same people would be wringing their hands and wondering what to do with all the bears venturing into towns going through dumpsters....etc
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
I see your point Bill....I should have realized this.

I have a neighbor that bear hunts in Maine EVERY YEAR. He has brought home some true monsters!

Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Welcome to NY
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
This is a tough one because nearly all Eastern hunters support baiting for black bear, but due to conflicts and trespassing, a growing number of pro-hunting non-hunters and hunters alike no longer support dog hunting unless the dogs are under the control of the owner or within owners sight or shock collar.

In the 21st Century, the act of releasing hounds in fairly populated area's to run all over other people's property is an activity that is as out of date as smoking in a hospital waiting room.

Bear baiting is no problem, but on my land I have endless headaches from people that release packs of dogs on some nearby small public parcels and they then run for miles and all over mostly private land, where they are not wanted in anyway. To make matters worse, there's several well documented cases where the houndsmen are killing bears on the private land of others, which is very illegal. Trailcams are now showing just how common it is.

My only trespass problems on my land is with hounds and their owners running bear and coyote and coming onto my land every weekend day for weeks at a time in late Summer and Fall. (Winter with coyotes). I have no other trespass problems with small game or deer hunters. In fact, I'll allow strangers who ask to hunt coyotes by calling them in.

In Michigan, hound owners can legally trespass on the land of others. So what they do is release dogs close to good private land and run all the game off that land that they otherwise could never hunt. Then, they can go onto your land, claiming they are looking for their dogs. It's all legal. Total BS.

Of all my neighbors, and everyone is a hunter, we'd all vote to ban hound hunting not because of ethics, but because of endless trespassing and the "you can't do a damn thing about me trespassing" attitude of the houndsmen I've repeatedly asked to leave my land. Keep in mind, the houndsmen are not locals or neighbors and they have only very small public parcels in which to release their dogs. There's been years where either me or my neighbors had to call the CO every weekend that they can run dogs.

I have no problem if hound hunters went to the UP where they have 1000's of public acres in which to run, but releasing 6 dogs on 160 acres of public land surrounded by private is another. Better yet, they could buy their own club and fence it and run their dogs to their hearts delight.

A solution for Michigan is allowing hounds in the UP only or banning electronics on dogs that allows them to run and be tracked for long distances. Keep the dogs on a leash and give the owners some very much needed exercise.

But the days of running dogs thru the exurbia, bedroom communities and rural suburbs are coming to an end. The houndsmen have created a situation where they have really PO'd otherwise neutral non-hunters and one where even many sportsmen are not going to come to their defense, due to their aggressive trespassing. And that's a shame.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
Where I bear hunt is in Northern Maine. It is very remote (watch the series "Mountain Men" on the History Channel and the guy from Maine is trapping where I hunt…about 50 miles from Canada). In fact, Jimmy, the trappers friend is one of my guides. The real problem is that HSUS is going to spend $3milllion in the urban populated areas where the number of voters is very dense and liberal, and knowledge of what goes on in the wilderness is something out of a Disney movie. They don't even know the impact, economically, on the rural population nor are they aware of the revenue the State looses if they win. Ten years ago the vote was won by hunters by 53% - 47% and the majority of naysayers were from the Portland and Southern parts of the State where bear hunting is out of sight and out of mind. An email or letter to the governor would help…so would a contribution to SAM or the Maine guide's Association.

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Several years back we hunter's in the Bay state lost a similar bill by a wide margin. The two biggest problems were fighting a nationally funded organization and it's illegal for state biologist to say anything during a political campaign.  So many TV ads full of nothing but lies and the professionals we support couldn't say a thing.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
Just joined the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine.
We have to fight this aggressively.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Just donated to the Maine Guide's Association,too.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
In my opinion, the reason Maine has been picked now is because Maine is the only state that still allows trapping of bear and one of the few that still allows bear hunting with hounds.

The optics of these two will be very difficult to fight on TV, print and internet modes of info. One video of a bear in a trap will undo 95% of bear hunters talking to the non-hunting public.

If Maine had been bait only, I doubt we'd be seeing this push at this time.

From a little research, it appears that Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. Tennessee, Michigan and Wisconsin are the last Eastern states to allow statewide dog hunting for bear. It appears that Georgia and Kentucky allows dogs in some area's. I assume they are remote areas? Anyone know?

The future of bear hunting in states East of the Mississippi will be bait only or even no bait, but the long term future of hunting big game with hounds in the Eastern USA is in it's final years.

While a tough pill to swallow, it's my opinion that the hunters in states that still allow dogs for bear would be wise to suggest their state go bait only or only allow dogs in the most remote, unpopulated area's or they may well end up losing the whole ball of wax. Mine is an unpopular opinion on hunting websites, but I believe it's the path to consider. I also thought that the Michigan wolf hunt was a dangerous course and that Michigan hunters will spill an enormous amount of political good will with the non-hunting public over what likely will amount to a very controversial one season only wolf hunt that accounted for less than 50 wolves and now the anti's are descending with huge checkbooks and a possible (likely) ballot initiative that we hunters are going to lose and lose badly, if it in fact gets on the ballot.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
People think they can use their vote to force anything and everything on the individual. The constitution is supposed to protect us from tyranny of the mob.

It may lead to a fight in the end.

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 02:10:00 AM »
I too joined the Sportsman's Alliance Of Maine and I'll be donating to Save Maine's Bear Hunt.

I may never go to hunt in Maine but it galls me to hear and see the "bunny-huggers" attacks on the things that I hold dear.  
They can spin it, and wrap it in pretty ribbons and bows, in order to fool people, but its Communism, plain and simple, and it's past time to take a stand.

May we all stand for that which is right... Freedom!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
BAPilot you are spot on!

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
The Constitution protects us from tyranny in government...

the rifle protects us from tyranny from mobs.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Unfortunately we are our own worse enemies. The NRA is so powerful because of its numbers. Our state hunting organizations would be just as powerful if hunters joined their state organization but they don't.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Pine Hawker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Bill, I just joined SAM, thanks for the update!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©