3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver on the bow or not? Need suggestions  (Read 703 times)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Quiver on the bow or not? Need suggestions
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I currently have a cat quiver 3.5 and I do like having all my arrows and supplies in the pack with it just think maybe going back to a quiver on the bow and just carrying a pack with me in the woods cause the cat quiver seems a little bulky...any thoughts guys??
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver on the bow or not? Need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
It all depends on how you shoot with or with out a quiver.  Many guys don't seem to like the extra weight or they just cant seem to shoot with one on.  I shoot the same either way.  I prefer a bow mounted quiver because I like the extra weight and to have my arrows right there.  I will take it off on occasion, like turkey hunting from a pop up blind.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
I used a Cat III as my basecamp re-supply but while hunting carried one arrow on the bow in a single arrow quiver and five broadheads and two blunts in a side quiver.  This has been my norm for many years (though I sold the Cat Quiver a few years back).  

I still ocasionally hunt with a five-arrow bow quiver.  There are good and bad things to be found with any choice,  That's why we still have many choices.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
I tried twice to shoot without one on my bow and I just couldn't get used to it. It's a personal preference thing    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Yep, personal preference.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
My heavier riser bows I like a bow quiver on.  The extra weight does not throw anything off, and my haversack is a little more maneuverable than a cat quiver.  I bought two lighter bows (actual weight, not draw weight)and found the weight of the quiver and arrows made them feel unbalanced. I ended up buying a cat quiver 2 to carry when I hunt with those bows. Positives and negatives to both.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
I seem to prefer a bow quiver on my longbows but not on my recurves. Go figure.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
THXS for the suggestions guys not sure what to do maybe I should just keep it but also thought of just going with a cat quiver mini and carrying a pack too which I can put anywhere
NRA Life member

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
My recurve feels alot better without a bow quiver I've used several different cat quivers with good results but I liked the side mount on the cat 6 or 7 ( don't remember)  but didnt like the pack , so I mounted a mini cat to the side of a small daypack . Works perfectly. I just like the arrow protection a cat offers as well as not having bright fletching showing and the feel of the bare bow
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Bow quivers are about the only thing I seem to be able to get through the woods without hanging up on stuff.  I may try a hip quiver though.  It totally depends on the bow whether I will shoot with it on.  Some bows I just use the bow quiver to get where I am going then I take it off.

I agree with maineac.  Lighter riser bows tend to get "out of balance" for me with the quiver on.  Other bows I much prefer to have the quiver when I shoot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Had a cat quiver 3 and didn't like the bulk or getting arrows in and out of it. Tried several bow quivers and just couldn't get along with one. I now use the GFA quiver. It is light, very versatile and right now satisfies my needs in the field. Also use a Catts sidekick quiver. Quivers are a personal thing. My cup of teas may not be yours.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
I've always enjoyed having a bow quiver if I'm hunting something that I'm trying to ambush.  The obvious one is deer, but even if I am trying to be somewhat mobile with turkey, I still stop and set up some sort of ambush.  I like to be able to take the quiver off once I'm set up.  It makes my other gear easier to carry.

However, if I'm just going out to roam for squirrels, rabbits, etc., I enjoy having my arrows in my cat quiver mini.  

Obviously it's a preference thing, but the discussion and new ideas are half the fun.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
To me quivers are a necessary evil. I have one of my bows set up with a bow quiver, which is the handiest for retrieving arrows. My other bow I use without a bowquiver, when it gets nasty out I grab this one with my Catquiver to protect my arrows.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Great input guys I think I like the catfanny with the mini attached..looks like a nice setup
NRA Life member

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
It's a mistake to put all bow quivers in the same category. Some are very large and heavy while others are small and lightweight. On a lightweight bow I like a small 3-4 arrow quiver that doesn't upset the balance or how it shoots. On a heavier bow like my Black Widow I have shot with our EFA 4-6 arrow quivers with no impact on how it shot.

There are several other advantages to having the quiver on the bow, other then convenience. It is a fact that some quivers on some bows will produce a tighter group. Also, I can't tell you how many times people have told me how our quiver helped to quiet their bows. Besides that they can sometimes compliment the good looks of your bow.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I hunt with no quivers mounted on my bows since around 2000 - there are plenty of lightweight good quivers but not for me. I noticed about 1 shot in 8 (in the field) would veer off a little left - sometimes a little high and left. In any case I really tightened up my accuracy when I dropped bow mounted quivers. I use simmons tubes a lot which are really good. Side Stalker is my favorite and I love catquivers - been using them on and off since mid 70s and they are great. 3.5 s are cool. Catquivers can be awkward when loaded with stuff that isnt arrows but they still work for me. Bow mounted quivers look cool in a picture but for me it is not worth it.
<><
<----------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
I prefer my quiver on the bow, I use a Great Northern nice and light doesn't add much weight, and I can carry a back pack, or pack a stand and sticks to where I want to hunt.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
There's a reason archers add weight to their bows in the form of stabilizers, counterbalance, back weights...etc. A good bow quiver can do the same.

Lots of cool pictures with bow quivers and dead animals!   :D

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
I shoot all my bows with and without bowquivers.

I think if your forms good you should be able to shoot the bow well with or without the quiver.

When its time to hunt and I got the bow picked out I am gonna hunt with I typically put on an Eagles flight or dsome other smaller lightweight bowquiver and leave it thier till the seasons over.I like a lightweight bowquiver.

I personally like to hunt with a bow quiver because I like to have the bow and arrows as one unit that can be carried in one hand.I might have a treestand on my back or backpack and possibly a fanny pack on my waist.So its convenient for me to hunt with a bowquiver on the bow.

I find it easy to access a second arrow quickly if necessary with a bowquiver.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 01:06:00 AM »
I find hip and back quivers to be so bulky and awkward in the field they drive me nuts. A bow quiver was made for spot and stalk hunting.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©