3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rethinking Tree Stand Setups/Safety  (Read 499 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Rethinking Tree Stand Setups/Safety
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Really been looking into using more ladder stands and adding the life line so I'm always attached while climbing as well as when in the stand.  I don't know if many have heard, but within the last week, Bassmaster Champion, Cliff Pace fell from his tree stand while bowhunting the rut in Mississippi.  He was climbing down and it sounds as if the cotton gloves that he was wearing caused him to loose his grip. His hand slipped from the rail and he fell braking his leg in two places.  It sounds as if he had been using a life line with his stand he might not have gotten hurt as bad as he did.  What are your thoughts on this?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rethinking Tree Stand Setups/Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
Tree stands are dangerous.  We accept a certain amount of this when we use them.  Using them smart, is,  well, smart.

Smart starts with learning about the stands, how to really use them well, what dangers lurk and what safety features are available.

Then you choose your level of safety / danger comfort.

ChuckC

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
All stands have some danger factor.

Ladder stands are difficult to put up by yourself, especially when going up for the initial attachment. You can slip on the steps coming up or down...so a rope attached to your harness would be very advisable.

With climbing stands I always attach my safety strap around the tree while climbing up or down and have the two sections tied together with a short rope in case the bottom falls out from under your feet by letting it go too far.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
If you are going to leave your stands in the same location for an extended period of time then tethers are great. If you move stands every hunt they dont help much as you have to actually climb up to attach them then you can use it next time and on your way down.
  if i hunted the same stands over and over thru the year i would have a tether on them.
 I move stands every hunt so in stead i use a lineman belt and stay connected from the time i leave the ground until the time i get back to the ground.
Here is a video i did that shows how i do it.
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-15-tree-stand-safety/

There is no reason or time that you should not be connected with a tether or lineman belt when hunting from a treestand.
 If i hunted ladder stands and moved them alot i would make a longer lineman belt that would reach around the ladder and the tree.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
It seems like a ladder stand is the safest way up and down after you have the stand itself set up.  But, like others have mentioned the initial set up can be dangerous if you don't have any help.

I use a hang on and sticks and I also put up/take down on every hunt.  I use a lineman's belt to get up and down, but I am not strapped in when I move from the last step to the stand and the stand down to the steps, so that would be my risk areas of fall.

Safest way to hunt is surely off the ground so we do accept some amount of risk during tree stand hunting no matter what.
>>>--------->

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Your spot on about putting up ladder stands.  I never put one up by myself.  In fact, I have a three man policy while putting them up and we use multiple ropes to help anchor the stand while the smallest man of the group climbs the ladder to attach the ratchets (usually I'm the smallest man).  I would never suggest anybody try to put a ladder stand up by themselves.  But once up, the life line I think would really help.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Jason, I just finished watching your video and it is great.  Where can I get those long line clips from?

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Of my hunting buddies, the one I spend the most time with is a county deputy. From him, I've heard so many stories of falls, that both of us now exclusively hunt from the ground.

Another thing to keep in mind is, we typically only hear of the fatal accidents on TV or in the papers, print and online. We don't hear as much about the hunters who'll spend the rest of their lives in wheelchairs or will have years of operations and/or therapy after extensive injuries.

Here are a couple stats, although they are a few years old...

The average age of the victims who fell or hung to their death is 44 years old. These are treestand hunters with up to 20 years of experience.

In 75% of the deaths the subject was not wearing a Full Body Harness.

Of stands used, 55% were using climber style treestands and 45% hang-ons or ladders style stands.

Michigan leads in accidents and deaths.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Here's an interesting article from Michigan...

Tree stand accident numbers don't add up

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2011/09/tree_stand_accident_numbers_do.html

As we come upon the deer hunting seasons, I can’t help but wonder just how many will get hurt. It’s not that deer hunting is unsafe, per se, but most bowhunters -- and an increasing number of gun hunters -- now hunt from elevated platforms and tree stands.

Hunting from 10 to 30 feet off the ground has inherent risks. Those risks increase when hunters are lax about practical safety practices like using a safety harness and making sure a gun is unloaded before it is hauled up or down.

Ohio State University Medical Center published a 10-year study last year showing "tree stands are the leading cause of hunting injuries in Ohio."

Researchers were looking to "debunk the popular stereotypes that most hunting injuries are gunshot wounds," the Medical Center announced when it released its study.

The study examined 130 hunting accident cases at two central Ohio hospitals. Half were because of falls and 92 percent of those falls were from tree stands. Only 29 percent were injuries from gunshot wounds.

Of those who fell, 59 percent suffered fractures: 47 percent had either lower or upper extremity fractures: ankles, legs, shoulders, arms and wrists. Another 18 percent had closed-head injuries -- read brain damage. And 8.2 percent "suffered permanent neurological damage."

Drugs and alcohol were involved in only 10 percent of the cases.

"Most of the hunters were not wearing safety harnesses," said Dr. Charles Cook, the lead author of the study and a trauma surgeon at Ohio State University Medical Center.

In Michigan, the situation appears to be better, but that conclusion is not certain because the state of Michigan doesn’t track tree-stand falls. Hospitals are required to report gun incidents to the state, but not tree-stand falls. No matter that hunters may end up paralyzed.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources also tracks only gunshot accidents. Hunters can voluntarily report tree-stand falls, but the agency otherwise makes little effort to collect that data. And so, we really know very little about how many are falling.

If you look at the DNR’s online hunting accident reports during the past few years, you assume no one has fallen since 2007. That’s when it last listed falls. There were seven falls shown that year along with 32 firearm injuries, including four gunshot fatalities.

The DNR, however, made quite a big deal about having the safest year on record in 2010 with only eight firearm accidents and two fatalities. Nothing was said about tree-stand falls.

But Jackie Wondolowski, the spinal cord program manager for Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital in Grand Rapids, knows otherwise.

"We had two on our SCI (spinal cord injury) program and one admitted to the brain injury program, for a total of three," Wondolowski said. "So far our numbers are down from 2007. Hopefully, the word is getting out."

Hopefully, indeed.

The hospital admitted four tree-stand fall patients in 2009. Three were admitted in 2008. There were 12 in 2007. One had only fractures and was handled by the ER, but three others were hurt so severely the hospital couldn’t admit them.

"We had seven opening weekend (in 2007)," said Wondolowski. "It was ‘Oh my gosh, what is going on?’" she said. "In recent years, we haven’t seen as many."

Mary Free Bed is just one hospital. No one knows how many occurred statewide.

There’s been a lot of liberalizing hunting rules in the past few years and a lot of shrinking government service -- which translates into less data gathering for any number of natural resource programs. That data is the feedback that lets us know when things may be going awry and whether hunting or other policy adjustments are needed.

Say what you will about the need for smaller government; I have no problem with lean, but smaller is not always better.

In this case, I can’t help but think we need a clear and established statewide reporting system for tree-stand accidents.

Sad as it is for anyone who falls and gets injured, having those statistics might help prompt others to be more careful and prompt policy makers to make prudent decisions. A comprehensive report each year also might help reinforce the message that no one should go up into a tree-stand without taking proper precautions.

E-mail Howard Meyerson: [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/HMeyerson

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
Here's a few random stats from differing sources...

...(23%) fell while descending from a tree stand, and (19%) fell while climbing to a tree stand; for (7%), this information was unknown. Mechanical failure (i.e., collapse of the tree stand or its steps) occurred in (32%) of the incidents. (5%) hunters reported they had fallen asleep in their tree stand immediately before falling, and (4%) either admitted to or were suspected of being intoxicated at the time of their incident.

The highest rate of falls were in the 50-59 year age group

From a 6 year study of fall victims in WV-
47% had fractures of the legs or arms, 36% had a spinal fracture, 20% had a head injury, 21% had other minor injuries.

Remember: When using a tree stand, your fall restraint system is your single most important piece of equipment. A full body harness is preferable. A rope or belt around the waist can be almost as dangerous as falling to the ground. A belt around the waist can cause a hunter to turn upside down should they fall, and the tightening of the belt around their waist can cause internal injuries.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Interseptor:
Jason, I just finished watching your video and it is great.  Where can I get those long line clips from?
The best ones I have seen are from Safe Tree Hunt.  You can google it.  I make my own using the same stuff, BluewaterII Assault line and prusik cord.  If you can be patient, I will be putting a couple in the St. Jude Auction.

The most dangerous time with treestands is getting in and out and that is where the long tether really has it's value.  It keeps you attached from ground to stand and back down.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Yes, hunters fall and are hurt from stands every year.  Most were not wearing any type of safety device (s). One should hook up climbing up and down and of course into the stand.

Stands should be taken down  after the season (at least) and closely inspected before putting up again.  I often double up the ratchet straps on my stands.

I hope state agencies don't overreact and try to regulate against tree stand use. If they do they should also prohibit us from driving to and from our stands. Surely far more are hurt in vehicles to and from than while in the woods.

I read a couple days ago an "expert" proclaim that EVERY one will eventually fall from a stand.  I call BS on that for sure.  I have several hunting buddies and NONE of them have fallen from tree stands. About 180 years experience between the 6 of us.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Interseptor:
the tether system I showed is called the "fall guy safety retractor" it cost 70 bucks but is the best one in my opinion because it works like a seat belt. it retracts and extends with you as you climb so you never have to take your hands off the steps to slide a knot. but if you fall it locks just like a seat belt. it basically is a 20 foot seatbelt.
  I use it for my kids and my wife every time they are in a tree stand. I hang the stand, hang the fall guy, and then bring it down to them and hook them up.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
I had one of the Fall Guy systems for a year. I left it out in the elements -- too long. It locked up the next time I tried to use it. I wouldn't try the Fall Guy again. I wouldn't want to find out it was "broken" when I most needed it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
On my two ladder stands that remain permanent from year to year I use a life line attached up at the highest point in the tree I can reach from on the stand and use a prussic knot to hook in all the way up and all the way down. Maybe overkill but I feel safe.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
The ladder stand made by the same people as the Xstand looks safe to put up.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I had one of the Fall Guy systems for a year. I left it out in the elements -- too long. It locked up the next time I tried to use it. I wouldn't try the Fall Guy again. I wouldn't want to find out it was "broken" when I most needed it.
I dont leave mine out all season. I only use it for my wife and kids since i move stands everything i hunt for myself. So mine has not been left out more than a few days at a time. That is a great point with the fall guy being mechanical and having metal parts it could be effected by weather. mine has lasted about 6 years of only being out a few times each season and is not showing any signs of problems.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
I have not been in a tree for the last three seasons and I'm seriously considering selling all my stands.

I've been using treestands since '85 and never once had a slip or close call. I use all the appropriate safety equipment and practice safe methods but still it could happen. I would really hate to be lying at the bottom of a tree wondering if my life has just changed forever.

With the safety concerns, loss of deer numbers, loss of hunting ground, and my newfound love of ground hunting I am really tempted to just get rid of my stands.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Sounds like the same kind of fall and break that I had last year.  Here is my story:
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=130922;p=2#000022

Lifeline always connected now.
-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©