3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Longer Arrows?  (Read 524 times)

Offline msmith2

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Longer Arrows?
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
I am tuning up a new bow and it appears that a .400 spine is a little weak. I am thinking about jumping to a .300 spine arrow and running it longer than I typically do. My question is: Does shooting longer arrows have any negative effects versus shooting my standard 29 inches?

(IE: Wind, Broadheads, Hunting ect)
I prefer wild organic meat!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Longer Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Not really, just have more shaft to get thru an animal, minimal effect. You could try building out your side plate a little for your not to weak.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
To me an arrow can be too short; but not too long.

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
go with a .350 spine instead of a .300 then it dosnt have to be as long
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline msmith2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I ordered some Gold Tip Traditional's from Big Jim so we will see what happens. By the way his price on the blemish arrows is incredible!

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
A longer arrow will shorten your "point on" distance.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
To me an arrow can be too short; but not too long.
agreed 100%

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I personally like full length arrows. Like Saltwatertom said, they shorten your PO and I think it works the same as using a sight set far off the back of a compound- makes it easier to "perfect" your aim, which means it's also easier to sight without thinking as much about it, at least for me.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
There has been conversation in the past from knowledgable archers that claim longer arrows help with a lot of flight problems.

One is that the portion sticking out in front at full draw stays straight and doesn't go through the paradox, it actually helps the arrow straighten faster.

It is also a easy way to up the arrows weight.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by macbow:
There has been conversation in the past from knowledgable archers that claim longer arrows help with a lot of flight problems.

One is that the portion sticking out in front at full draw stays straight and doesn't go through the paradox, it actually helps the arrow straighten faster.

That would be a neat trick if you could do it, but I don't think the laws of physics would allow it. The entire arrow is going to bend in paradox from point to nock no matter how much of it sticks out in front. Think about what an arrow would look like if you bent all but 2-3" of it, or how it would fly for that matter.

I've fiddled with arrows of pretty much every material and length (except fiberglass) and find that an arrow that is tuned to your bow flies very well whether it hangs 3" off the back or the broadhead bumps the back of the bow. Most of my bows are short (58" and under), so I like to keep my arrows as short as possible when using a bow quiver simply so the nocks are out of the dirt if I set the bow down. It does take more farting around with point weight, spine, and adjusting center shot with the side plate, but once tuned the short arrows fly just the same as the longer ones.

I've had the best results using a slightly weak spine and bumping out the sideplate to fine tune. Your mileage may vary.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
Don't know how much it is but all other things being equal a longer arrow with the same tip weight will have a lower FOC percentage.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
For me with carbon arrows I let my tuning determine their final length.I don't care how much it hangs out in front of the bow as long as it is tuned well.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Longer arrows are more stable arrows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
I'm left eye dominant and a longer arrow help me cross refference to the target. I shoot a 27 inch arrow but cut mine 30 inches to sight, if you want to call it that, to the center of the target. I heard Howrad Hill also shot a longer arrow and he shot very well.
Gary King

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
You have too much free time to think Smith  :)
I'll drop those wood arrows off tomorrow
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline msmith2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Steadman why do you have to judge me? Its a great question!!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
Longer arrows are more stable arrows.
I'd be interested seeing some proof of this. I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to learn something here if possible. I've done some google searches and find opinions but no proof of either short or long being more stable.

I guess I'm not even really sure what that means or if it means anything for hunting. Arrows tuned to your bow and proper form on your part will cause an arrow to fly directly to your quarry. If you have a good sharp broadhead on the business end, they will then penetrate said quarry causing rapid and complete death, generally accompanied by a rather gory trail of blood. That works for me.    :archer:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
It's a great question buddy no judgement here. I thought your 340's shot good?
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
As as already been mentioned, longer arrows will reduce your point on hold or lessen your gaps if you're a gap shooter. Other than that, it's not going to make noticeable difference inflight characteristics.  

That being said, I don't like arrows longer than necessary. For me that's 1 inch beyond the back of the riser at full draw to provide clearance from the broadhead.  Longer arrows are just a tad more cumbersome getting from a bow quiver onto the bow, for example, especially in close quarters like a pop-up blind or some tree stand situations.  Likewise, if you occasionally lean your bow  up against a tree, the nocks of the arrows in the bow quiver, if you use one,  will fill with dirt.

I've never found it necessary to leave my arrows long for tuning.  If they're too soft, I just buy the next stiffer size, cut them to the length I want and put on the point weight I want.  If I have to tweek something at that point, which I usually don't, I'll play with the side plate material a little.

If .400s aren't stiff enough, .340s should work.  .300s are awffully stiff.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©