3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Central Kansas - Lyons, Sterling, kanopolis lake  (Read 237 times)

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Central Kansas - Lyons, Sterling, kanopolis lake
« on: September 15, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I used to live in sterling, but have since moved up to north east kansas. I never got to hunt while out in sterling. This year I am looking at possibly taking a week and heading back (my Girlfriend still lives in lyons)to try to do a little hunting out at kanopolis lake. Can some one give me some info about that area...how much presure is there, is it mainly open crp or is there a tree or two around....anything else that could be helpfull.

If you know of some other public lands out that way I'd like to hear about them.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Central Kansas - Lyons, Sterling, kanopolis lake
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Stickbow,  I did alot of hunting for birds at Kanopolis.  I bowhunted a little bit.  There is some pressure, but not too much. At least when I lived in Kansas(Wichita). Saw quite a few deer out there as well as some good bucks.  There are places to hang stands especially along the river.  There is Alot of crp and crops.  If you go into Kanopolis and go in the back side, there is a big bottom along the river with alot of crops and crp.  I hunted along the river which is thick cover and lots of trails in there.  

Ah! I've found my Kansas Atlas.  I'll give directions to the area I'm talking about since I'm not about to purchase an out of state tag($400+) but this might be hard to remember since its been awhile. Call me if you Like 816 792-0997 and If yu have a Kansas Atlas and Gazetter I can navigate you to that big bottom area.  Of course there are good places anywhere on Kanopolis Lake.  
Another really, really good WMA to go to is Glenn Elder on Waconda Lake.  I've seen some MONSTERS up there as well as numbers.
I wish I could go with you. I miss Kansas hunting.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Central Kansas - Lyons, Sterling, kanopolis lake
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Tomorrow mornign when the KDWP opens up I am going to try and get a decent map of the hunting grounds out there. I'll try to get a pic of the map and email you and we can mark it up.

My girlfriends grandparents have a cbain around the dam somewhere. Maybe if it's near some hunting land they will let me camp on there property.

I have been trying to relocate to PA for some time now (work is hard to find) but before I do I want to by a lifetime license so I can come back and hunt Kansas without having to pay the big bucks....I love the thick stuff....I kind of feel at home in it.....the whole time I lived in sterling i saw maybe a dozen trees...when I saw even a small hint of some woods it would make me smile.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©