3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: good beginning bow for under $150  (Read 625 times)

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: good beginning bow for under $150
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
I will have to recommend a Samick Sage as well.  Buy one with light weight limbs and put a good FF string on it and it's the best beginner bow to be had at a price tag that low.

I bought one in 35# for my wife.  I put a decent FF Flemish string on it.  She gives my shooting a good run for its money on most days with that little bow.  The added bonus is that you can upgrade to heavier limbs as experience and muscles progress.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Samick Sage or, if you have a longer draw, the Samick Journey.  

I agree about replacing the string--a good string really wakes it up.

As far as value, it will bring the same percentage as pretty much any used bow--50% - 75% of retail.  For the price, why sell it?  If you move on, keep it around to get someone else started, for bowfishing, for a spare, etc.

Best part of the value equation is you get a warranty.  Any bow can fail, whether it be a $1,500 custom or a Sage at less than $150.  Stuff happens.

I don't see them ever being collectable, but for the money you can't beat it.  Warranty, HMPE ("high performance") string capable, all the inserts you'll ever need for a quiver, bowfishing reel, even a cushion plunger if you wanted.  Can be shot from the shelf or elevated rest.  Extra limbs are cheap, so you can have a few different draw weights on hand if you want without breaking the bank.

Put an 18-20 strand BCY-X string on it and you'll be amazed--the only limitation is the variable pulling the string.  I keep buying one to play with, but someone winds up getting it and I have to get myself another.  Thinking about shooting at the Pre-Spring Arrow Fling witih my latest one...just got to make time to make a string for it...

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I had a K Hunter as a teen - green 70's one; jumped on the wheel bows but now in my mid 50's I decided to pick recurves back up. I went with the Grizzly's this time just because of the high wrist on the Kodiak, Grizzly feels more comfortable to me. If you could try whatever you are interested in  I would recommend it.
SWA Spyder

Offline SARarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
I would highly recommend the Samick Red Stag.  I think the one piece runs $130-165 and the t/d is closer to $200 but it is an excellent bow and looks better than the sage
Black Widow PSAX 56#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©