3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new recurve shooter looking for tips  (Read 387 times)

Offline Uncle Barfuss

• Trad Bowhunter
new recurve shooter looking for tips
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
I am new to traditional bow hunting I am shooting a samick sage that is 55 @ 28 my draw is 28. I am wondering what arrows would shoot the best?

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new recurve shooter looking for tips
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
If it was me, I would buy some Gold Tip 55/75's and tune them to you and the bow. Go for about 200 / 250 grains up front and tune for good flight by cutting at the shafts till you get good flight (starting with full length shafts). (see tuning threads and advice for tuning )   My source is Big Jim's and he or one of his staff will help you with advice on tuning , etc.    :thumbsup:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
The best advise I have is to join a club or trad organization.  Find some good guys to shoot with and learn from.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:55:00 AM »
Welcome Dalen, I think #40 or #45 lbs. is better to start with. Good advise above. I can recommend Fred Asbells books on instinctive shooting. Just click on the Hunter Image site at top left of this page.
Tom

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm with Onewhohasfun, 40# is a lot easier to learn on, and makes it easier to shoot 55#. I like Rick Welch's DVDs (Accuracy Factory in particular) for instinctive shooting and Masters of the Barebow vol. 3 for learning form. The bale and bridge are great ways of learning, and great for increasing draw weight too.

As for arrows, a full length 400 with a 125 gr tip might work, or you might need to go to a full length 340 with the same. You can also point load, the 340 some. I'd think that the 400's would work well with lighter limbs and a heavier point, and then the heavier limbs with a lighter point, so you don't have to keep buying arrows.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
Cheap to start with. Bare shaft tune them. pay attention to your shoulder if it gets sore lay off a while. SERIOUSLY !

Offline vhntr 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Rick welch A + I would stay away from Asbells method it screwed me up bad !

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I am relatively new to trad shooting. I didn't find this forum until after I had been doing it about a year. Lots of good advice on here. The single thing that improved my shooting more than anything was arrow tuning,and bow tuning.Play with brace height it is awesome for fine tuning where you hit left or right. Learn how to do that and it will make your life so much easier. Of course your shooting form plays a major role also but when you get those arrows tuned for your bow they really do hit where you are looking. I shot a compound for almost 30 years and I thought I knew a lot about bow tuning, I could hit pretty well with it. Let me tell you it was humbling to learn how ignorant I really was. Ive learned more in the last year than my entire bowhunting career about tuning. Simple stick and string, yea right. Also starting at a lower weight will be a lot easier on your body. I started with a 55 and regretted it. Pick a spot and prepare to have the most fun you will have with a bow. Any questions you have get on here and ask lots of knowledgeable folks here.  Hope this helps.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I can't believe how good the advice is.  Everyone has something different to add, each is on target.

I'd just say, on arrows, I'd google "Stu Miller's Dynamic Spine Calculator" ... or go on the 3 Rivers Archery site - I think they have it.  What that will do for you is show you all the variables that affect the arrow and bow to make one tuned to the other...  You can spend hours on that calculator.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Byron Furgesons book "become the arrow" is a great book. He explains how to focus and many other things thats important to deploy an arrow. After a while all the things you need to do will become automatic. So don't get discouraged.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
If you want to shoot good and learn why you missed and how to tune your bow to shoot where you are looking, I'd go to Rick Welch's school. You can spend all the money you want on arrows and bows but i'm telling you this will be worth it and save you time and money. Don't post here much anymore but you do what i tell you and you'll be happy. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Start close, move back a step at a time when consistant, then go back to close so you do not forget what you learned, then work your way back again, mix it up.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
jeff kavanagh on YouTube has done fantastic videos on form.

as for the draw weight, i can't day yea or nay without knowing your particular physiology and level of fitness. 6 years of pullups and rigorous weight training 5-6 days a week and i barely was able to finally get to where i'm using good form at 60#

i wish i had two bows starting out, one at 35 or 40 to get my draw and release  down, but i have to say, it sure is fun sending arrows down range with 60# and hit the bullseye now  ;)  

to each their own, just don't get discouraged if you're not able get consistent with the heavier weight.  i was almost there with frustration, and then the back tension clicked and now i'm lovin it  :)

only been shooting about a month now
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
I checked your profile. You are a young buck so if you can draw a 55 "healthy" , go for it. I shoot one now and I'm an old fart.If I were starting out fresh today at 61 years of age I doubt I'd start on a 55 but that's me. I  started out lo these many years ago with a 60# KMag. I was 23 and full of piss and vinegar. I'll differ with the arrow choices. You're new and need to learn. For now I'd get me some 2016 aluminums. They are available rather cheaply as arrows go and great to learn on. If you really get excited by trad archery, you'll then start making arrows and such and then you can make the switch to carbon if you want. Right now we just need to get you shooting and having fun, not worrying over the cost of the game.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
My Suggestion, take the Recurve back and get a Longbow!!!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©