3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Taipan or Morningstar ?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Taipan or Morningstar ?
« on: February 01, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
All you JD Berry bow owners who own or have shot BOTH bows, tell me which one you prefer and why ? I'm having a very tough time choosing which one to order. Thanks !         Tradcat

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taipan or Morningstar ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
I can only relate my experience with the Taipan since I don't own or have  had the opportunity to shoot a Morningstar.  The Taipan with the forward grip  just points naturally and fits my style.  It is quick, very stable and shoots a wide variety of spines perfectly.  Others here do have both and they will chime in with a better suggested comparison.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
If you want and like an r/d bow, then you won't do any better than the Taipan. I bought a Taipan from James and ordered a Morningstar. Then I made a mistake and let my friend borrow the Taipan to shoot. He would not give it back.

I got this Morningstar from James. I won't let anyone touch this bow but ME!

Both bows are forward handle. The Taipan "might" have a little more speed, but the accuracy of the Morningstar is uncanny. PM if you need any more info.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Tradcat,
A lot of it will boil down to your preference. If you are wanting a straight limbed bow then by all means go morningstar. If you are looking for a r/d bow go the taipan.

The Morningstar will have a little more feedback at the shot than the taipan but it is still a very we'll behaved bow.  Danny is right in the fact that the Morningstar just seems to naturally hit the target.
My taipan is my go to 3d bow, as it it just seems to shoot a wide range of arrows, is quiet , gentle in hand and accurate .
I have a love for straight limbed longbows , hence why I own every model James makes, but the Morningstar sees more shooting time than any of the other bows, and it is also my goto hunting bow as you can do every bad habit when shooting and it still throws an arrow at your spot.

Best bet is buy one of each. Lol
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
Oh Wow, that Morningstar sure is pretty!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
My Morningstar is, as far as I can tell without going to shoot it thru the chrono, as fast as my Robertson. I would think the choice would be more in the particulars of how you would use the bow and how you shoot. If your use and shooting style resembles Howard Hill, the Morningstar; if it is more like Fred Bear, the Taipan with a locator grip of your preference.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Danny, what are the specs / wood combos on your Taipan? I've always wanted one, but was thinking more about the Apollo which I think is made on the same form. I'd probably go with a 64 or 66" bow. I was just wondering what length yours is and what woods are in the riser and lams. It's a sharp looking bow and the black glass goes very well with the rest of it. Yours doesn't have the "hook" nocks either, right? Thanks...Ed.
N/A

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Ed - The Taipan nocks are actually buffalo horn and are not the hook type. The riser woods are bubinga and walnut with maple overlays on the back and osage, ebony and walnut on the belly. The limbs are bamboo.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Danny, that is a great looking bow! It looks like Berry spent a lot of time and care crafting it. I like it a lot.

The other one, the Morningstar, is pretty but it looks complete backwards to my eyes. The guys who own and shoot them rave about their qualities, but I can't get past a hill style being shot backwards. To me, it looks like a left handed bow with the leather wrap on backwards, complete with the stitching on the belly side. Hope I don't come across as mean spirited cause that's not my meaning at all. If I ordered one of those, I'd get a left handed model and string it backwards. :)
N/A

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by foxbo:
Danny, that is a great looking bow! It looks like Berry spent a lot of time and care crafting it. I like it a lot.

The other one, the Morningstar, is pretty but it looks complete backwards to my eyes. The guys who own and shoot them rave about their qualities, but I can't get past a hill style being shot backwards. To me, it looks like a left handed bow with the leather wrap on backwards, complete with the stitching on the belly side. Hope I don't come across as mean spirited cause that's not my meaning at all. If I ordered one of those, I'd get a ileft handed model and string it backwards.  :)  
You're not alone.  Rics taipan is stunning, but I just can't get past the appearance of the forward handle like the Morningstar.  Like you I mean no disrespect, just different tastes!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
This is Mikes Taipain

This is his Morningstar

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Here is my taipan

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
foxbo and NBK -

I hear what you are saying, but you may possibly be letting visual prejudices overrule good judgement. The forward handle is the most stable type you can put on a bow. For example, many bowyers build forward handle bows, but do not promote them as such, i.e., BW, Habu etc. The forward handle is also the best design to keep an archer from torquing the bow. The limbs are in the palm his hand while the handle is forward. On a standard" Hill style bow, the limbs are about 2" in front of the palm allowing the limbs to move to one side or the other throwing the shot off. That is much less inherent with a forward handle bow. More stability, less torquing equals better accuracy.
You might want to try this little exercise if you don't believe me. Take your hill bow (don't worry about stringing it) and place it in you hand as if ready to shoot. Then tighten your fingers a little on the grip. See the bow twist and how much the limbs move? Now, turn it around in your hand and place the limbs in the palm of your hand. Don't worry where the shelf is as you are not shooting it. Grip it again as above. Less movement, right?
That's the ability of the forward handle to improve your accuracy. Less torque, more stable, better accuracy.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
On the original Hill thread I brought up the reverse grips. My first Hill way way back was a reverse. I had a standard grip longbow once that definately had left/right issues, I fixed it by completely retillering it and it picked up speed.  I have read all of the remarks how they just don't look right from various folks, to each his own. But when it comes to feel and feeling your shot, this Morningstar that I have is it, and mine is as fast as my other bows and my other bows are faster than most when comparing them at my draw. Danny says no one shoots his Morningstar, except him, same goes for mine.

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
Times 3, on what Ric and pavan have said, I can shoot any of the Duo-Flex models or ASLs. But for me I enjoy the feel of the Morningstar in hand, shooting or just holding it, A plus when someone comes up to me and says "Sir, you have your bow string up backwards" I just smile, knowing I am ahead of the game.   James

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
I on the other hand will allow anyone to shoot any bow I own.

This includes both of my JD Berrys(Vixen-"The Amazon Lady" or "The Amazon Queen").

I am very happy with my Berry bows.(Big understatement)

But unlike my friend Ric O'Hay I will not allow anyone to leave my house with either of them.

Ask Mr O'Shay if I didn't learn something from him....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
James  looking  foreword  to my North Star. Good luck to the sea hacks yes I spelled that wrong  I'm three miles away  stuck  in nj.   Lol.
Dan Breen

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Having recently had both a Morningstar and a Northstar, I can honestly say that what Danny (Ric O Shay) wrote is right on the money.  I'm on James list for this spring, and I believe it's going to be the straight limbed Morningstar.  Looking forward to talking with James again when my name comes up.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ric O'Shay:
foxbo and NBK -

I hear what you are saying, but you may possibly be letting visual prejudices overrule good judgement. The forward handle is the most stable type you can put on a bow. For example, many bowyers build forward handle bows, but do not promote them as such, i.e., BW, Habu etc. The forward handle is also the best design to keep an archer from torquing the bow. The limbs are in the palm his hand while the handle is forward. On a standard" Hill style bow, the limbs are about 2" in front of the palm allowing the limbs to move to one side or the other throwing the shot off. That is much less inherent with a forward handle bow. More stability, less torquing equals better accuracy.
You might want to try this little exercise if you don't believe me. Take your hill bow (don't worry about stringing it) and place it in you hand as if ready to shoot. Then tighten your fingers a little on the grip. See the bow twist and how much the limbs move? Now, turn it around in your hand and place the limbs in the palm of your hand. Don't worry where the shelf is as you are not shooting it. Grip it again as above. Less movement, right?
That's the ability of the forward handle to improve your accuracy. Less torque, more stable, better accuracy.
Ric, I believe you, it's just the jealousy coming out!  I'm afraid to shoot one fearing that I will experience exactly what you're saying.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 03:33:00 AM »
YOu would be surprized how fast the feel of the Morningstar seems to be secure and normal, you would also be surprized how funny a standard grip feels after you have taken a few hundred shots with the Morningstar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©