3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow question  (Read 279 times)

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow question
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
My bow
spirit long bow 55@28" my draw is 29.5 My arrows are Arrow Dynamics Traditional standard inserts 25gr and 175 points full length 32".  

My question is should I cut off 1 1/2" ?

My arrows shoot great now, is there anything to be gained by cutting them shorter and probably adding weight up front?  

Thanks for any help!
Mark

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Sounds like you already have a good setup.  If they're already flying great, I wouldn't start cutting without some bare shaft tuning information to let you know what's happening. 1 1/2" is a lot to cut off at one time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
thanks for the feedback,  I was not going to cut off all at once,  bareshaft hits right on @ 25 yards.  I'm just wondering if there is anything to be gained by a shorter arrow.  Or should I just leave it alone.

thanks again!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
I think there is something to be gained by having all your arrows the same length, since different length arrows change your sight picture and introduce another variable.  For example, I cut all arrows for all my bows to 29" for my 28" draw length, and adjust the spine and/or point weight to tune.  

Certainly 200 grains is plenty up front. I wouldn't want any more than that, although I know there are some folks who would.

Depending on your experience and age, you may find that your draw length will expand another 1/2" or so before it settles in (for example, if you are in the prime of life and you haven't learned to maximize your expansion yet). However, if you are confident that your draw length is going to stay the same, I think there is some benefit in deciding on a standard draw length for your arrows.  I don't know if there is any particular advantage in choosing 32" rather than 30.5", although if you ever want to shoot wood arrows, you might prefer the shorter length.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©