3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting with minimal foot ware  (Read 1270 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting with minimal foot ware
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
Light shoes are great till you have 80 lbs of elk meat on your back. I'd strongly recommend finding a good fitting pair of heavier boots that you can at least leave in the truck to be used if packing an elk out.
X2.
Wore a lighter pair of hikers for my one elk hunt and loved them... Until we had to pack the bull out.
They were fine on flatter ground but side hilling on steep slopes was harder.  Next trip I'm leaving a sturdier pair of boots at the camp next to my frame pack!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
I read about this boot and finally gave it a try.  Treksta Evolution Mid.  About as minimal as a hiking boot could be.  Very good fit for my narrow foot.  Wish it had a rand, but like running shoes it does not.  Except it is made in China I would rave about it.  I would readily hunt elk in it.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 01:15:00 AM »
I packed out 80lbs of elk meat this year wearing a pair of Keen Targhee Mid hiking shoes with no trouble at all. This is the only shoe I have worn for years while bowhunting. Then I switch to Hanwag boots for late season hunts in the snow. It all comes down to preference, but I would much rather wear a light weight "shoe" than trying to stalk and sneak in clunky boots.
Shoot Straight

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Socks are as important as boot!!!!!
What did you wear on your feet?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
I have given serious consideration to trying out a pair of wrestling shoes.

I currently use Merrill hikers and they are quite comfortable, but i like very little on my feet.  Guess I'll have to get off my wallet and spend $40 to see if it is going to be a possipility.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Here is an article about hunting with minimal boots ya'll might find interesting....

http://www.ilongbow.com/Reviews/Mini_Mil_Boots.html
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, so regular hiking boots with heels and a narrow toebox just don't work for me anymore.  So, I've been looking for a boot that I can use for hiking and hunting.

I just bought a pair of these;  http://www.lemsshoes.com/Mens-Boulder-Boot-Black_p_102.html.  

My initial impression is they're going to work.  They were comfortable out of the box, didn't irritate my nerve problems, and were dry and had good traction in wet vegetation and mud of our club range.  I can't wait to get out on my first backpacking trip with them and hopefully confirm my initial impression.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
My son and I regularly use Asolo and Lowa boots; but you asked about minimalist. One day my son forgot to put on his boots and socks and walked several miles in his slippers-he didn't bring it up so I didn't talk about it either!   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
So I guess you can hunt elk in just about anything!
Next day he had his boots on.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
as long as I'm not crossing rivers, I will wear my KEENs Oh man do I love those. I personally think hiking boots are way better than "hunting boots" .
no matter what you choose go with something with a stiff sole.
A few years back i ran into some veteran elk hunters who were wearing BASEBALL CLEATS..
whatever works....they told me they had been using them for years...

Offline treelinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I think it is obvious by the number of responses there is no right answer, it is all a matter of personal need and preference.I swear by a Merrill mid hiker (Gore Tex). Fits me like a moccassin. I live in the mountains and spend much time above tree line, whether packing out a heavy load of moose meat or carrying a very heavy backpack they give me all the support I need. Of course I keep moccassins in my day pack for making those silent stalks.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
One thing about boots light or heavy is they must fit your feet.  To often it seems hunters buy a certain brand of boot because they are popular or their buddy wears them.  Every brand has a different fit so first you need to find one that works for you.  Then pick the style within that brand.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
Lot of times I just wear a pair of Sketchers. Love em. Good traction and very light weight. As to ankle support. I am very careful in the woods. If I am hunting real rocky convoluted terrain I wear my Danners.
God bless, Steve

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I'll go x2 on the Under Armor "SpeedFreaks". Wore them in Colorado Elk/Deer hunting and liked them a lot!
Harry

Offline Alvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Think i'll take the plunge and order some mini mil boots.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:some turn up their sleeves,some turn up their noses,and some don’t turn up at all.(Sam Ewing)

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
If is an active hunt and the weather is not very bad, the use of light and non waterproof shoes can be a great option. With cold weather, use neoprene socks, and the heat of your feets will dry the shoes and will not be colds.

Use other socks, goretex or similars, to use in the camp if your shoes are wets. As you will be in non active mode your feets will be colds very fast into a wet shoe, so using a waterproof socks your feets will be comfortables. Gore socks are not a good idea when you move but good for this in the camps if you don't want to carry extra shoes.

Typical between the ultralight backpacking people, not for everybody, but it works for many.

Sorry for my english

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Please, do NOT say you're sorry.  Your english is MUCH better than mine.  Thank you for your input AND please get more involved in the forums.  Knowledge is wasted if not shared.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Im a huge fan of Keen and Asolo hikers. I wear Keen 99% of the time everyday and also in the woods.
 I just dont like heavy full hunting boots anymore. I also dont like the blisters, and hotspots.
 With hikers I never get blisters, hotspots, or tired of them weighing me down.

Wont find me in the woods in a danner or rocky type boot again.

Im either in a hiker or a hip boot, or a winter pack boot. 99% of the time its a Keen hiker.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Thank you Mike!!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Hey Timmy,

I've found it best to change shoes every other day. My most comfortable pair of shoes felt horrible on day 3.  Swapping every other day seemed to really help if you have the option and space to carry a second pair.

Tim

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I use Mendle light hunters. Not exaclty cheap, but for where I hunt the best combination of "feel" and lightness with enough support (barely) for steep side slopes.

Like some of you I did not like the weight nor the loss of stealth offered by the stouter boots. Then there are the boots that are heavy, but offer little more support than a light shoe.

I would be on my butt a lot and soaking my sore feet an evening  if I wore LL Bean boorts in the terrain I hunt.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©