3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last 25 minutes of Daylight and A Talltines 10  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Last 25 minutes of Daylight and A Talltines 10
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
Well Friday was the last day of the Mississippi deer season.  Tom Pittman aka Spurs and myself set out that morning morning in hopes of getting one more shot before the season closed.  The morning hunt was rather uneventful and with highs in the 60s it did not look to promising for the afternoon either.  Never the less we headed out for an the afternoon.

Well I was in the tree waiting on go at about 2:30.  Well a couple hours went by of me starring at the pics of mine and Toms Talltines risers that Brian was working on. I also PM'd Mantitoba stickflinger to see if he was still lovind his 58"TT.   I began to think back on the season.  All the highs and the lows; with anticipation of the 4:45-5:15 getting ever so close. Then I get a text from my other buddy got a nice PY opossum coming in should I shoot him.  It is now 4:50,  I say heck no but I would go ahead and stand up at 5:10 and be ready.

Not long after that I get a text deer coming in from Dow.  Then I get one from Tom got two damn wild dogs running all over me.  I am thinking great no doubt they are gonna run by me.  Tom says I'm getting down. I asked him which way they were headed he said toward you.

Great last day ruined by dogs.  About 2 seconds later 2 does come flying by me at about 50 yards.  Then I hear a noticeably different gate and some heavy panting,  The Damn Dog.  He runs to my right opposite of the deer then crashes through a big creek and headed off.  I was pissed.  I sat there for probably 10 minutes.  Heck with it I'm bailing out maybe I can find one to stalk before dark. Hooked bow up and lowered it to the ground.  Undid my safety belt and my limiting straps on my lonewolf.  Climbed down one time.

Then it happened I heard footsteps coming from the same way the dog had left.  It was a deer i reached for my pullup rope started bringing bow back up.  I see the body coming it looks big.  DAMN!! bow gets hung on limb(always lower feathers up makes it hard to get it back up without a snag) Oh know I see him its the 10.  I pulled bow hard it made racket and he froze looking my way.  Here he comes.  I got bow in hand, untied it, and knocked an arrow.  

He is gonna skirt me at 50 I am sick. He walks all the way by me, he hits the trail the 2 does had run through on.  He stops,  he turns and he is walking on a trail that would take him by me at 27-30 yards.  Well now we got problems.  I have a limb on the tree and I cannot draw to get a shot on that trail because I am to close the the tree.  I cannot ease out to the end of foot platform because my sit and climb top is in the way.  

I decide I have to step over the sitting bar. One leg over, He's coming getn close 35 yards.  Got to get left leg over,  YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, I am pegged bow in left, and my right leg up like I have a little captain morgan in me.  He looks long enough to make me feel like I am getting wobbly and going to fall out of tree.  So I eased my right leg down to set it on top of the sit and climb bar.  He is still looking,  I see it the tail wag.  For some reason he takes a dead left which will put him 17 yards dead in front of me if he takes 10 more steps.

Is this really about to happen I am thinking.  25 Minutes left of Daylight on the last day of deer season.  Well here he comes!!! I start to draw, AHHH!!!! the wind switches I  panic he jumps one big bound I get to draw  pick a spot and loose the arrow . Hard 1/4 big game buried to feathers.  He bolted like on a death run.  He runs 80 or so yards then DEAD Silence.  10 seconds later I hear what I think is a crash.  I sit until dark it is 5:35 when arrow was loosed.  I ease down the tree and leave didn't look for blood.

Well I get to the camp and we all decide (with the exception of the novice) to wait until morning to track.  I knew that the shot went in a little back and did not exit,  so there would be very little if any blood.

The next morning Dow Tom and Myself walk to the spit he was standing.  We ease the direction he ran find blood but very little.  we start to track.  Dow and I ease about 40 yards to the right.  Anybody that has hunted Mississippi knows that some spots are thick as hair on a dogs back,  and this spot was no different.   Well no blood or tracks our way,  I tell Dow I am going  back to last blood.

Then I HEAR IT.  I GOT HIM BOYS!!!!  Tom had gone straight and found his profound stumbling tracks.  There he was laying in the middle of one of the main camp Roads. He had only gone about 90 yards and the arrow was buried in his off shoulder.    What a way to end the season With my best friend and a MISSISSIPPI TEN. The Honey Badger (Talltines 55@28 60" bocote and myrtle)  had taken It's best buck of the year!!!

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last 25 minutes of Daylight and A Talltines 10
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Awesome story and a great buck, congrats!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a stud! Congrats, cool story.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Woooeee what a buck!  Big congrats on a fine animal with your Tall Tines!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Awesome Will!  Congrats!!!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Awesome Buck!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Very nice, congratulations!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Awesome story, awesome buck! Very exciting and thrilling to read!

Well done and congrats!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline KillerBee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Congrats !! Great read

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Congrats on a beautiful buck, and thanks for the story!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
good lord, what an end to a season...
is it September yet??

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
NICE!! Unbelievable how it all comes together sometimes. BTW, I took that bar off my LW.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
Fantastic!!!  Congrats on a beauty and an exciting hunt.  It's funny how sometimes when you think a hunt is ruined it only gets better...

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
Very Nice, Thanks for the story! Beautiful TallTines too! Are you getting a 58"?

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Heck of a nice deer!!  Congrats!!

Offline redbeard126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Great story, and buck! Wish I could have seen the "Captain Morgan" pose....Congrats!!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the hunting story! Congrats on the buck  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Son of Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Very,very nice!! Congrats!!!!
Accuracy kills every time. Everything else is just numbers.
Mike Schuch

Martin Savanah 50lbs
Bear Montana 50lbs
Prairie Predator 45lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©