3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back country trad elk hunt tent  (Read 689 times)

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
Back country trad elk hunt tent
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
New bow on order, Check...  Next item, a quality tent for back country in the Rockies.  If we get drawn, I plan on being in an elk camp with 4-5 other guys for 7-10 days.  It sounds like they have used individual tents all under a large canopy in the past with a separate cooking tent.  I'm trying to decide between getting a good 4 season 3 man tent or springing for an outfitters canvas or synthetic tent.  The plan is to go in with 4 wheelers and a full sized support 4x4.  Foul weather is a possibility.  Thoughts?

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back country trad elk hunt tent
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Sounds like you aren't going to far in with all the 4bys. Any way.  Check out kifuru. Tipi
Dan Breen

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Alas, don't have horses and the engines will get us to base camp.  The rest will be all us...  The Kifuru stuff looks great! I love the idea of high tech light weight and minimalism.
Thanks,

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
If you are hunting from a camp that you can drive in don't be frugal and buy a confortable 4 man tent,good for a single man with enough clothing changes.
Otherwise if you really make some backpack hunting choose a good 1 man ultra light tent,it will cost you more than the bigger tent but in this case weight and quality will be much more important.
I went with a Big Agnes..
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Yep, Big Agnes.

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I back county hunt for elk every year and have found the MSR hubba 1 to be the best choice. It is a one man tent with a vestibule. it is very light, I will also take a amall 6x8 tarp from the hardware store for cooking and storing gear in bad weather.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
We had a 12' X 14' Kodiak Canvas tent at base camp when we went.  I chose the Hubba for spike camp also.

It rained, sleated or snowed 9 days we were there.  We'd run a Big Buddy for a while before we went to sleep and we were warm until the morning.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
for base camp i have a 12x14 canvas wall tent. there is nothing better the being able to stand up in a tent. first year we took a dome style tent. we had moisture problems and very cramped. last 3 years with the wall tent we have had no problems. wall tent for base camp for sure, but you are talking some money

for spike camp i have a one man msr tent. less the 2 lbs
Kevin Day

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Where is back country that you can take a 4 wheeler too! If it has a road to it then it's not back country yet. I'd go with a big tent and a good cot if you can drive to your camp spot. I have a pop up and sleep in a bed when my wife is along and a cowboy bedroll when she's not. Both are equally comfortable to sleep but the pop up is sure nicer in the morning trying to get dressed. My buddy has a wall tent with wood stove and cots, have to admit that was a pretty sweet set up.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Since you are taking in a truck I would look into a Kodiak Tent, I researched tents pretty heavily this last year and decided to try out the Kodiak. It has turned out to be the dream tent. The best tent I have ever owned and that's a bunch of them. It is a heavy canvass tent though.

God bless, Steve

Offline backcountrybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
If I was you I'd go with a go-lite SL5, big enough to use at a basecamp for just you or another guy or two.  Also, if you remove the nest it is light enough to backpack with, something like 2 lbs. 11 oz without the nest.  I stayed in one last year and the ability to stand up when getting dressed and during a real bad snow storm was invaluable.  The best part is, its $300 shipped

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I had a 4 man kifaru tipi with a stove and it was nice but if it rains, it  was nightmare to take down and move. It really added weight.  I was probably carrying 70lbs when changeling camps.  I went with a Hilliberg Akto and a tarp. The hillibergs have a built in rain fly.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »

This is a Kifaru Sawtooth, it's really a nice two man tent, a great roomy one man tent, and for emergencies it will fit 4. It weighs in at 4.8 lbs, that is with the poles pegs.

I didn't have my Ti wood stove yet, so it's not in the picture.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
when im base camp hunting, i don't think anything compares to a wall tent with stove. can dry clothes, room to stand, good in weather, the list goes on.

for backpacking i use the MSR hubba.  dandy set up.   i do like the looks of the kifaru with stove though.
is it September yet??

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
X2 on the golite shangri-la 5.  For $300 you can use it with or without the nest.  If money is not an option, go with a quality wall tent.
58" Great Plains-Red River 57#@28
60" Bob Lee-Hunter 60#@28
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
X three on the Hubba.  Sounds like a wall tent would be better since your hauling it all in a truck.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
I like my Tarptent double rainbow for bivy hunting. Haven't tested it in bad weather but set up is great!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I have an Agnes, a strong wind broke one pole and bent an other when the tent flattened.  These guys have withstood everything from snow storms to hail and near misses with a couple of tornadoes. They are both made from Egyptian sail.

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
If I'm carrying camp on my back I use a Kifaru Super Tarp.It weighs 20 oz.
Tim

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Thanks all for your suggestions!  For base camp hunting I'm leaning towards a Davis framed wall tent, or a Alaska Tent & Awning wall tent or Alaskan Oven.  I've always wanted to be able to run a wood stove in a tent for those chilly nights.  For spike camp, the Kifaru gear looks amazing and the go-lite SL5 is also on the short list.  I do like the idea of running a stove in spike camp but there is always my whisperLite gas stove to heat up H20 and meals.  Fun to think about while we get dumped on with 6-12" of snow today...
Best wishes,
KSPete

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©