3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back country trad elk hunt tent  (Read 688 times)

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back country trad elk hunt tent
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Pete...I've got a 14x16 wall tent from Davis Tent and it's hard to beat for a base camp.  I bought that size to accomidate 4 guys but it's usually just me and my brother in it.  It will easily handle 4 but is luxurious for 2.  The customer service at Davis is as good as it gets also.  If you have any questions, give those guys a call and they'll take care of you. If you watch their website they run monthly specials that can save you several hundred dollars. I heat the tent with a 4 dogs stove.  It's a really great combo.  But remember...this is base camp. It's very heavy and takes time to set up.  

For backpacking it's an ultralight solo tent and a good sleeping bag for me.  I have no interest in messing with a stove when backpacking but to each his own.

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
A lot of guys have mentioned the Kodiak Canvas tents on here.  The thing I'd add to that is you need to check out Springbar tents.  They're the original tent that Kodiak Canvas knocked off and took over seas.  Springbar is made right here in the US.  I wouldn't own anything else.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I will say one more thing.  if your doing a base camp style hunt, NOTHING is better than a wall tent. it just feels like elk hunting lol..
is it September yet??

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
If you decide to go canvas look into the "Springbar Tent"Made in Utah and bomb proof.  I had an outfitter tent before and switched to the Springbar.  I can set up the 10x14 myself in a matter of 15 minutes.  It only takes that long because there are so many stakes.    Kodiak is the China copy if it.
T ZZZZ

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Whichever tent you go with, I'd strongly recommend looking closely at the vestibule space. You can keep all your gear dry and cook under it if need be. Also make sure you put a tarp in your gear to hang in camp to duck under if the rain or snow shows up. I've had the MSR Dragonfly 2 man for a dozen years or so. The vestibule is larger than the inside of the tent. It weighs in at around 8-9 pounds, but well worth the weight. But this tent only goes in 7 or 8 miles into the WIlderness area so weight isn't that big of a deal. For camping up on top of the mountain with the elk, the heavy stuff stays behind…

Good luck
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »

This is a Soulpad 13 foot diam with a center  post easy set up for one person. Plenty roomy for 2 plus gear. I made a vestibule for it but can't find any pics right now. The tent has been trough some amazing wind and rain and cold Elk camps.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
I've got a 5 meter version of the tent that Bjorn posted.  I haven't had it in the weather he has but it's a great tent and you can set it up in minutes.
homebru

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
For base camp- canvas tent hands down. If you want smaller than a wall tent the Davis Herder is good. I can get 3 guys comfortably in mine with cots.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
I think the Kodiak is more than a Springbar knockoff. It has many improvements.  Love my kodiak.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
i have the 5 meter bell tent pictured above- best tent i have ever been in- TONS of room- handle wind exceptionally well, very affordable- about $700- delux version- awesome zip out groundsheet.
one person can pitch in minutes literally.
lay out on ground- peg the perimeter down, take the centerpole into the tent- push it up-voila!!!
time 1 to 2 minutes.
get people and gear inside- one person goes around outside doing the short guy ropes- another minute or two done.
i use a simms folding stove in mine.

do i love it---you bet!!
stayed in quite a few wall tents, and lived in a military tent- but this is my favorite!!

besides a bear can never trap you in the corner!!!   :D

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
For base camp near a truck I use a Cabela's 8 man Alaskan Guide tent with a big vestibule.It holds up very well in strong winds.If I need to pack in a ways I use  a Kifaru 6 man tipi
Tim

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Those guide tents look awesome, ifwe could just get a stove into them!!!
I would love to build one out of a super light canvas, and set it up with a small collapsible wood stove.

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
I'm going to put a stove jack in the vestibule for a wood stove or a Nu Way propane stove
Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©