3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How about some small game heads since I went bust on deer this season  (Read 329 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
I've killed a lot of deer over the years with a rifle and a few with a compound.  Sold my compound last year and started hunting with a recurve.  No luck during archery only last year but did ok during rifle. Well, I decided this year that I wanted to finally get my first trad deer or else.  Or else won this year with the deer season closing here on Jan 31.  Actually, this was the first year in about 12 years or so that I didn't kill a deer at all, but I think it was the most fun season I've ever had.  I saw a lot of deer and had quite a few really close (5 yds or less on several) but the stars never lined up just right.  They were all either turned the wrong way, in groups where several sets of eyes were looking my way, or too nervous for me to feel comfortable with the shot.  But like I said, it was a blast.  I got to thinking yesterday though that I might still be able to get my first trad kill this season.  I've never hunted small game with my bow but our squirrel/rabbit season goes to the end of Feb.  only problem is I don't have any small game heads and will have lost a full week before any come in if I order them.     :scared:     Seems like a strange place to go for archery supplies, but I remembered reading where Saxton Pope used an empty 38 special case on a wooden arrow as a blunt.  I had some empty 357 mag brass and decided to give it a try.  After removing the primer, I drilled the flash hole out where the shank of the broadhead would fit through.  The case web was too thick for the threads to engage so I countersunk the case head about 1/2-2/3 of the web thickness with a larger bit so that the back of the ferrule would be recessed and I could thread it in far enough for a secure fit.  The case head might also provide a little additional blunt force trauma, but it doesn't stick out much so I don't think it will do a whole lot.  Here's the finished product.  

You guys let me know what you think.  I think they'll perform well but as I said, I'm inexperienced with small game, so I'm not sure.  I'll get some pics up if I have any luck with them.  Oh, and I had a little dumb luck come my way on the weight.  All three came in between 153 and 154 gr without any tweaking.  All said and done, I spent a little less than an hour on them.  

Matt Toms
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How about some small game heads since I went bust on deer this season
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Those look wicked. They should be easy to recover like a judo point with the barbed blades. Good job.

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  they look great
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Those look great
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Looks like a Klingon death head for squirrel and rabbit!
Member NCBA

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Wow very enginuitive   :thumbsup:

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
Those look devastating but I'd be carful of your backstop with the barbs as they might break off on impact with rocks or trees.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  It'll probably be next Saturday before I get to take them out but hopefully I'll get to shoot them at something.  

GDPolk, I've thought of that and don't really expect them to hold up to abuse well.  When I bought these for my compound, I read some reviews and apparently the light weight aluminum ferrules are prone to bending just from hitting ribs, shoulder blades, etc.  I was mainly just trying to get something that'd work well without having to spend a lot.  I hunt some sand hills with almost no rocks and I won't be taking any tree shots because I don't have any flu flus right now and don't want to lose any arrows.  The squirrels are on the ground a lot right now anyway, so I think they'll work ok for what I'm going to be using them for.  I'll probably try to build some flu flus with blunts for next season.  I these would also make a decent turkey or wing shooting head, if I did either of those.

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
Those are as ugly as the Broncos offense vs Seattle's defense.

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Necessity is the mother of invention and you did it right. You will love the endless amount of small game you can hunt with your traditional gear. You get to pull the string a lot and helps steady your nerves for bigger game. Keep it simple and have fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©