3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making a Kota Kill-Um quiet  (Read 528 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Making a Kota Kill-Um quiet
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
It seems like I learn something every day. Yesterday I figured out how to keep from shooting left with my Kota, today I found out how to make it quiet.

I have tried just about everything to quiet this bow, with little success until tonight. I talked to my cousin (my hunting/fishing partner) who bought a similar bow just before I got the Kota. He had the same problem until he switched to a 14 strand b50 string. I had been using a 12 to theoretically gain some speed. So had he, but switching to 14 made a huge difference.

The bottom line is 14 strand B50, braced to 8 1/2 inches, limb savers, and cat whiskers = a recurve nearly as quiet as my longbow. I am also using a Thunderhorn Boa bow quiver, but that did not seem to make any difference one way or the other as far as noise. There is also no perceptible change in speed, and there may be a slight improvement in accuracy. All in all a good weekend so far.   :bigsmyl:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making a Kota Kill-Um quiet
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
What is standard on the bow...said I haven't even shot mine yet and I've had it since Thursday.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
If you mean standard brace height, I don't know. I bought mine used, so I have just been doing trial and error. I think I am about where it needs to be now. The bow has a lot of recurve, so if it is braced too low there is a ton of string contact. Braced at 8 1/2 inches, the contact is reduced to what looks about right to me. Your bow may vary, but if I were you I would start at 8 1/2 and work up or down from there. The heavier string really made a difference as well.

I don't use fast flight, especially on recurves because I think it is hard on the limbs. I think the fast limbs on these Kota bows call for less stretch though, so I went up to a 14 strand. I have a 10 strand on my old Bear. It is quiet, but MUCH slower than the Kota.

I couldn't hold out that long before shooting a new bow!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
I was talking about the string...I finally got to shoot mine tonight and it shoots smooth and it seems quiet.  All I did was add some whiskers to it and shoot away.  I couldn't use my Thunderhorn quiver since I have it set up for my longbow but with out the quiver taking away vibration is seemed quiet.

I believe the brace is supposed to be around 8.5" since the bow came with the string installed and lose with a rubber band holding it in place.  When I strung it for the first time it was very close to 8-1/2".

I also think when I put a quiver on it I'll notice a drop in noise even more.  I have grown accustom to the extra weight of the quiver full of arrows on my longbow and this bow was bare when I shot it.

I did on the other hand sling them right in there with the first 6 arrows in the bull or just a tick out at around 12 yards.  Very smooth on the draw and not a lot of hand shock, just very pleasant to shoot.

Hope all works out.

If you have any questions about the bow I'd call Tim...he always seems to be very helpful.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Bow Hushes are a truly effective method to help quiet a bow....
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
Kota suggests a 7-1/8 to 7-1/4" brace height for the kill-um.  Mine seems fairly quiet with cat whiskers and ff string.
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©