3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Midwestern Trad Guys// Gnarly Boar Pics ADDED  (Read 1120 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Midwestern Trad Guys// Gnarly Boar Pics ADDED
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
The next morning was pretty slow. Saturday evening Dan and Irv sat a double stand at the Pecan hammock. They had some smaller borderline shooters come in(they are all shooters to me:)
A couple big pigs showed up, I will let Dan or Irv tell that part of the story...

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
That evening we had a great wild pork meal at the campground where Bill, Matt, and I had a cabin. The chef cooked Bill's hog from the previous day.
One of the highlights of the hunt for me was hearing all of the great stories told by some very experienced bowhunters.
Bill and Matt (Overspined) Meachum on the right.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
These hog adventures never get old....
Great pics!
Let's hear about the "BIG ONE" Jim...

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
it was a great group of guys that I had the pleasure of sharing 5 AM coffee with on Friday AM.

Matt had been here before, had been in touch for a couple days and was itching to get started. He's got a great attitude.

Bill Kissner, a true gentleman and very experienced trad hunter, was a pleasure to be around and had some great (true) stories and tips.

The boyz from Illinoiz (Dan and Gerry)were no beginners either and were a blast to be around.

Jim's got the first part of the tale correct, so without further ado...

Jim and I were on raccoon disposal duty about fifteen miles north at another lease when the c
text cam in. it was Big D.

"Irv, it's Dan...I just shot a sow...a decent size one,dried up, but I could see her teats...black and white.

"Is it the one we have been seeing on the trail cam...about 125#s?"

"I would say so. I can hear some grunting and heavy breathing over behind the feeder in the thick stuff. I think she's down."

"OK...Jim and I are going to stay awhile after dark here and try to whack a few corn stealing varmints. Just let her expire. don't push her. We'll try to be there by 8."

"Alright. maybe I will just get down and wait in the car then."

I managed to narrowly miss three raccoons, while Jim held the light and the video cam, got down, recovered my arrows, laughing, when Gerry walked up.

"Miss em all?" he says.

"Yup, just by inches. I haven't shot this one much. I'm more of a recurve guy. That's my excuse."

"I sure like this new Mad Dog Prarie Predator though...super lightweight and smooth easy draw. It's not the bows fault."

"Really quiet, I'm impressed"... Jim adds. "It's a heck of a nice bow for the money."

"Let's head out, guys...Dan's got one down."

more to come...
it wouldn't be any fun without the suspense...
no extra charge...
hehehe...
Irv Eichorst

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
The Jungle set-up is relatively new but we had been getting trail cam pics both morning and evening. The sign in there is amazing, rooting, scat, wallows,tunnels through the thick stuff,etc.
Friday evening I heard some boars fighting in there when I met Gerry so I was hoping Dan would connect soon. Wasn't really looking forward to tracking one in there though:)Although, the good thing I've found about tracking in thick cover is there is just a lot more stuff (at all levels)for blood to show up on.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
I just got done shoveling snow......man I'd love to get down there!  Great stuff so far!!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
On your way down, Sean...
could you stop and clear my driveway?
Irv Eichorst

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
My wife Jeanne and I are staying in an RV park near Naples,FL which is on the west coast. It is approximately 165 miles to Fort Pierce on the east coast where Jims hunt is. In order to hunt on Friday morning I had to get up at 1:30AM. Now I never go to bed before 11 so it was a short night.

After meeting for breakfast, Jim took Dan and Gerry to the south side of the property. Irv showed me to the "Pines" stand on the north side. After scattering a small sack of corn on the ground, Irv slipped out of the area.

Trying to stay awake was a chore itself but I quickly came alive when the dang feeder went off. I have hunted feeders before but still get surprised when they make that racket. After a short time two small 30 or 40 pound pigs came running in.

Expecting some larger ones to show up I watched as they flitted here and there scarfing up the corn. After some time I could see they were going to eat all the corn, I hissed at them to scare them off. They didn't want to leave but finally did. That was all I saw Friday morning.

We all met for lunch and discussed the mornings events and planned the afternoon hunt. I wanted to go back to the Pines stand as it was a two person stand and was very comfortable. The first couple hours were uneventful but about 4:30, a sow with 2 pigs and a small boar came in from the north. The sow was black and white spotted with 1 black and 1 white pig. She was pretty skinny as sows with pigs usually are. The spotted boar looked to be fat with bright hair. I decided to shoot him in spite of his size. After feeding a while he turned broadside and the arrow gone. He broke the top 6 inches of the arrow off immediately as he ran by some small trees.
They all ran back the way they came and I knew the hit was good.

After 20 minutes or so I climbed down and followed their direction only to find no blood at all. It mattered not though as he only went a hundred yards or so.

I had notified Irv by text that I had one down and we had decided to wait a while for him to come and help retrieve it. The sun was getting low when I received a text from him asking if it was alright to come in now and I replied yes. Just as I saw the vehicle coming, 6 hogs came running in to the corn. There were 2 about the same size as the one I had down and 4 smaller. Irv was within 1/8 mile and closing. I needed to hurry and quickly drew. Forgetting to take the arrow holder off caused it to be pulled off the string. It hit every rung on the ladder stand on the way to the ground.

The hogs were startled, ran a few yards and came back. By this time Irv was within 1 hundred and fifty yards with the truck. They were not at the corn and skittish. I drew another arrow and shot but the boar had swapped ends and was gone about the time the arrow sliced through the hair on his back. They all escaped without any damage to themselves. We carried the dead pig out as I wanted to keep the skin.

I sat the same stand Saturday morning and it was uneventful with no hogs seen. On the way out as I was about to open he gate, there was an exceptionally large alligator lying on the bank of the small pond that was just inside the gate. It quickly disappeared under the water hyacinth that covered it. After relating this to Jim and Irv, they said they had seen him but did not realize just how big he was.

I sat a different stand Saturday evening without incident. Sunday morning I was back in the Pines stand and again no hogs were spotted. When I reached my truck which was about a hundred yards from the gate, I quietly stored my bow and equipment. After digging out my camera, I slipped up to the pond that held the alligator.

There he was, out on the bank sunning himself. I slowly eased closer to get some photographs before he spooked again.

He eventually spooked and dived back under the hyacinth. I went an retrieved my truck and he had surfaced again.

This was a very nice gator, we estimated it to be between 8 and 10 feet long. This ended my hunt. Jim and Irv  are good people and I call them my friends. They are traditional hunters themselves and have a multitude of stories to tell around the evening table. I will be back hunting with them again.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I want to add that Matt, Dan, and Gerry are tops to be around after hours. Them, along with Jim and Irv are all experienced hunters and have a lot of bowhunting knowledge. It was a blast sharing time with them and I really enjoyed the hunt and camaraderie.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
This was a hunt that ends the season of 2013/2014 on a very steady pattern for me.  I hunted as hard and long as ever and didn't shoot a deer or piggy with a bow.  A humbling year for sure!

Jim started to razz me because no matter which stand I chose, I was skunked and he was covered up with piggies...with film no less    :knothead:  

Nonetheless, I had another great trip. 80 degree weather, sitting in Palm trees, ahhhhh.

I heard pigs squealing, and saw some after dark, but I had some highlights: hanging with new friends, including Irv, who has a ton of energy, I saw a nice bobcat, otter, alligator, deer, beautiful birds, and shot an armadillo.  

I will be back for sure, and these guys give it a great effort to make the hunt fun and special. Hunting with other trad hunters never gets old, I think I could spend a couple weeks listening to Bill's adventures and experiences.

I'll add a few pics later

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Nice guys!!
That's a good looking pig Bill
And some of us know you aren't a little man. So that must be a big pig!!
Hope you are well buddy!!

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing,nice pics.
Leland

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Bill that's one of the prettiest hogs I've ever seen.
Post a pic of the rug when it's done.
I've walked past that pond with the gator several times in the dark. Never knowing it held a lizard like that.....I'll be more careful in the future!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Even though Bill showed me the pic of the Gator, walking out in the dark my heart skipped a beat when it made a big slap/splash on the water nearby.  I was too busy watching for snakes to remember he was there.    :scared:

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys.
Jim and I enjoy these hunts as much as you do, and never tire of it.
I can't say that I don't run a little low on energy once in awhile, but those long days are rewarded by meeting and befriending guys like you.

Back at the ranch we were ab out to track Dan's sow...well we thought it was a sow.

To say it's thick behind the Jungle feeder, is a little understated, and part of the reason this stand got it's name.

The area, across the canal is an overgrown orange and grapefruit grove, loaded with pepper trees and neglected fruit trees, so lots of low hanging dead wood around that calls for a lot of ducking one's head. The ground rolls up and down every 20 yards with the typical furrows common to fruit groves, and after two days of rain, prior to this hunt, the bottoms of these "ditches" were wet and muddy.
Combine this with four foot high grasses and you have some pretty slow going.

Dan took the lead at first with Jim following and Gerry and I tried to mark last blood. Jim had his GPS overlayed on Google Earth as we walked and dropped small pieces of T.P. for insurance of finding our way back to the blood trail.

As we continued, Dan and Jim were doing great and finding lots of good trail with crimson splashes. When Dan came up blank a time or two, I asked if he could see any fresh tracks, and when he did, that kept us going in the right direction till more blood showed up. The GPS was leaving  red trail on Google Earth as well.

At one point, the hog had run headlong into a small tree so hard that it peeled most of the bark off and left a good splash of red. Turns out he wasn't very far from the scene of the crash.

Somehow about that time, I must have taken a short cut and now I was up front with my flashlite. My job was over in qbout 5 more yards as I proclaimed..."There HE? is deader than a doornail in a foot of water"

"You sure it was a sow? This is a BIG boar!"
"Right...you're joking, I don't see any hog."
"Look there Dan, Congratulations, man."

Everyone was now doing their best "Oh My Gosh" impressions and patting Dan on the back.

Jim recognized the old man as soon as we were able to drag him out of the muddy water for a closer look. sure enough it was "SOX".

He could be identified by his white underbelly and white sox on his legs. We had tons of pictures of this guy over the last three years. He was one of our biggest bullys, and liked to homestead the feeders keeping all others away.

We decided it best to field dress him there in spite of the mosquitoes, and drag him back out. Gerry is a taxidermist and Dan was going to mount this guy for sure.

Picture taking followed.

Who wants to finish with the return drag story out to the vehicles?

By now its getting close to 10PM
Irv Eichorst

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
OK, OK,…… I'm next. I'll be there in a few days. This is getting me all fired up   :jumper:

I'm hungry for ham!
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
Here is a pic with Dan and the infamous Sox  

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
Not exactly the small sow we were expecting at the end of the bloodtrail!Well done Dan!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©