3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally a spark of interest!  (Read 867 times)

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally a spark of interest!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Definitely the way to start them young!  I wish I had learned on a trad bow and never touched the wheels.
>>>--------->

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Awesome to see the kids get involved in archery..I got my grdson into it when he was 10 or 11.. He is gonna be 15 in july and goes to all the 3D shoots with me..I got a new hunting bow layed away for his Bday..He's ready..I've really started something thou..now all his brothers and sisters have bows..hope i can afford to keep them all in arrows...lol
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Congrats Fritz...  :thumbsup:  

Both my son and daughters interest has always come and gone over the years.  They've been exposed to hunting and the outdoors so long it's kind of just common place to them.  My son's graduating college this spring and says he can't wait to hit the summer shoots and catch up on some deer hunting come fall.  He said he really misses the quiet time.  It will be good to have him home.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
I grew up in 4H shooting sports myself. Shooting every dicipline they offered. I cannot tell you how much those times meant to me and what it did for me.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Good stuff....   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I still hold out hope for my son!as far as archery goes. But he's a good young man all the same!
Jim

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Whenever you can get them going is good. Just make it fun and get them the best matched equipment that you can so that they have every chance to succeed.  "Cheap" unmatched kids arrows will get you cheap kids arrow results--in my opinion of course.

My oldest daughter Mary at about 3-4 years old. 1/4 inch cedar arrows matched to her little longbow. They shot like darts.  

[/url] [/IMG]

Mary at age 13 out hunting with me in December cold. She's using a vintage Browning recurve (they're a good solid bow) and Easton Axis carbon arrows fit to her bow with perfect arrow flight. She's an excellent shot out to 15 yards.

[/url] [/IMG]

Congratulations on getting your son going.  Take him to an archery shoot this summer if you can. They usually have novelty shooting opportunities that make things fun as well as the 3D courses, which my two daughters love to shoot with me.  Good luck going forward!!!!!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
Way to go Ty  :thumbsup:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
That's the way it should be  :clapper:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Fantastic Brother! Make it fun for him. I'm sure you will.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChekDE:
Two thumbs up!
X2!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
That's great!

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Hey Ray..great pix..it dont get any better than that..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks Denny,

I don't want to hi-jack Michael's thread, just wanted to give some advice to readers based on my experiences over the last decade.  I've been very patient with my daughters. Always had some appropriate stuff available for them to shoot if they were showing any interest and until 3 years ago, they shared the same stuff and just took turns shooting.  Then it took off. Hopefully that's where Michael is with his son.  But I'm still careful to keep it fun for them.  Even the December deep snow hunts I took them on were easy in and out of the woods in pop up blinds with plenty of stick on body heaters under their camo to keep them toasty.

We all hope our children follow our traditional archery passion, but that doesn't always happen. If they are in it, make it as enjoyable as possible and keep it low key so there's no pressure-they'll probably put that on themselves. If it's back yard practice, I often don't shoot with them, just watch, so they don't compare themselves to me(or pick up my bad habits as Ron LaClair would probably say).

Here's Morgan with her Dryad Phoenix Lite longbow coming back from an evening hunt on grandma and grandpa's fruit farm last December.  This is two year's after where Michaels son is right now, so hopefully it sticks for him. By the way, Morgan is very competitive with her older sister, so she pushes herself:

[/url] [/IMG]
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
That's a pretty nifty looking quiver.
Live and let live.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Congrats to ALL the Youngsters getting into the Archery way of Life!! My 5 yr. Old Granddaughter is just as Proud as a Peacock with the New Bow her PaPaw got her for Christmas!
   I hear that Archery is a Common Discussion at My Daughters Dinnertable! Her Words were, "The Archer that You couldnt get Me to be, Your Granddaughter has taken "Hold Of" and Will Not Let Go!!" Thats My Girl!! Be Proud Parents, Grandparents, and All Family Members!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Awesome,I hope he sticks with it
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Thks Ray! Great pic! I just came inside from shooting with my son and my little girl. I can't express how happy shooting with them makes me! We have some great competitions and always keep it fun. They are both improving quickly and are starting to ask me to go shoot.   :goldtooth:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
Thanks Denny,

I don't want to hi-jack Michael's thread, just wanted to give some advice to readers based on my experiences over the last decade.  I've been very patient with my daughters. Always had some appropriate stuff available for them to shoot if they were showing any interest and until 3 years ago, they shared the same stuff and just took turns shooting.  Then it took off. Hopefully that's where Michael is with his son.  But I'm still careful to keep it fun for them.  Even the December deep snow hunts I took them on were easy in and out of the woods in pop up blinds with plenty of stick on body heaters under their camo to keep them toasty.

We all hope our children follow our traditional archery passion, but that doesn't always happen. If they are in it, make it as enjoyable as possible and keep it low key so there's no pressure-they'll probably put that on themselves. If it's back yard practice, I often don't shoot with them, just watch, so they don't compare themselves to me(or pick up my bad habits as Ron LaClair would probably say).

Here's Morgan with her Dryad Phoenix Lite longbow coming back from an evening hunt on grandma and grandpa's fruit farm last December.  This is two year's after where Michaels son is right now, so hopefully it sticks for him. By the way, Morgan is very competitive with her older sister, so she pushes herself:

[/url] [/IMG]
Great advise and outlook Ray. I know from experience that you can't force your kids to share in your interests nor should we forget to respect their individualism.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
:clapper:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©